mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Biking in the SoCal desert?

Hey there,

Does anyone have any ideas about SoCal desert trails? I am planning to drive down past Mammoth (will certainly do rides in there as well), but wanted to try something different (scenic out in desert if possible) as well on the way to the LA area. Just looking at Google maps, maybe something in the general area of Ridgcrest or Red Rock Canyon? Something out in the middle of nowhere and different than what I'm used to (Santa Cruz mtns)

Thanks for any ideas...

mtbr member
    There's some mtb singletrack in Ridgecrest as well as a lot of moto trails.
    Some info for you on this site:

High Sierra Cyclists, Ridgecrest CA. USA - Mountain Bike Trails

Compared to Santa Cruz, riding in the southern Owens Valley sucks. Sand(decomposed granite)+ deep sand +vertical sand, is the norm in many places.

There are many scenic rides though if you don't mind dirt roads and jeep trails.

There is excellent riding(just not a lot of it) in the mountains that line both sides of the valley below Mammoth.

Take a look at at Mazourka Canyon, Papoose Flats, Alabama Hills, Cerro Gordo for adventure.

The Tungsten Hills outside Bishop offer scenic jeep roads and a particularly excellent variety of vertical sand. Don't miss Lower Rock Creek-it's THE ride in the area.

Tons of adventure in the White Mountains and Inyos. There the sand is replaced by shale, loose shale, vertical shale, and loose vertical shale.

There is some interesting desert road riding to the east of 395 between Olancha and Ridgecrest. Joshua trees, old mines, wide open views, and I guarantee that you will be the only mountain biker out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Norman,
    Thanks for the ideas - they sound great!!
    Andrew

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If you end up a little further south of the Bishop area you can check out Kernville. Just Outstanding and the Cannell Plunge are two that I would highly recommend.