Thread: Biking in SD

mtbr member
    May 2004

Biking in SD

I'm considering taking a job in SD and in addition to salary, cost of living, nasty-ass housing prices etc I'm also concerned about the mountain biking. I'm in Seattle now and while it's not ideal there are a lot of good trails nearby. It appears that there is a big roadie scene there but I don't really care much about that other than commuting and the occasional training ride if I'm racing. How are the trails? Will I have to drive far to them if I'm in the Carlsbad area? I'm not a DH'er but I prefer technical riding with some drops and speed, what's there for that? Thanks for any help.

-m

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Search for "flightline"-- it's in Cbad and is plenty tech for most people. In general, the SD area has a bunch of good to great trails but some driving to trailhead is required. The weather is phenomenal (sp?) for year-round biking and real mountains are a short drive.

Trail Rider

San Diego County has a lot of good riding...

Unfortunately some of the trails(close in) are being "developed". There are a lot of new houses going in around the county. There are a lot of companies moving some operations to area in Carlsbad (El Camino Real and Palomar Airport Rd.)

There are still some real nice trails and within reasonable driving distances. Check this out: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/

San Diego County has year round MTB and that is a plus. The terrain is different from where you are. You can drive to the mountains or bike on trails near the coast and get there in a reasonable amount of time. The commute to work can be frustrating. Temperature differences between the coast and the inland valleys can be big in the summer. My parents live in Carlsbad and don't have an air conditioner, and I live in the south inland part of the county and an air conditioner is a must. And you know about the price of houses...
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member

If you are...

If you are used to driving 30+ minutes to get to a ride then this is a good place. I've seen how slow you norwesterners drive.
    Lots of good riding here! Depending on which part of the county, you could be 30-60 minutes from the really good stuff.
    Or ten to 15 minutes for the in town local rides.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    If you are used to driving 30+ minutes to get to a ride then this is a good place. I've seen how slow you norwesterners drive.
    Lots of good riding here! Depending on which part of the county, you could be 30-60 minutes from the really good stuff.

some really, really good riding....you would be lucky....rains less and the weather is warmer
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    If you are in the Carlsbad area you are in luck. Flightline kicks @SS! Great trailnetwork, with lots of tech to it. It will keep you busy for a while. Connection to Calaveras is available. Other rides within 30 minutes, ELFIN FOREST, DAILY RANCH, PANASQUITOS CANYON, BLACK MOUNTAIN.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    ...why on earth are you guys trying to convince more people to move here???

There's also some great riding a bit further north in Orange County as well, which probably isn't too far up the 5 from Carlsbad.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    Maybe I can get someone to drive in the fast lane at 50 mph just so I can feel more at home

Most of the good trails around here take at least 30 minutes to get to but I'd love to be closer. It sounds like flightline will be my home trails if I make the move. Thanks for the help.

-m

mtbr member

Might be good

Quote Originally Posted by meberle
    Most of the good trails around here take at least 30 minutes to get to but I'd love to be closer. It sounds like flightline will be my home trails if I make the move. Thanks for the help.

-m
    It might be good to move to "north county" if you want to ride the Flightline on a regular basis. That ride is pretty short though. LOTS of figure eights as I recall.
    HIGHWAY 5 BLOWS GOING/DRIVING NORTH in the after noon. South, it blows mildly too BAD.
    North county is close to Flightline, Elfin and Daley. The middle of the city is close to tri-canyon, Mission Trails, Sycamore, Penesquitos and . East county (Santee, El Cajon, Lakeslide) are close to Mission Trails, Sycamore and ATT and 20 minutes closer to Noble and Lake Morena.
    I think San Diego county is as small as Rhode Island. Or bigger than RI.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by meberle
    Maybe I can get someone to drive in the fast lane at 50 mph just so I can feel more at home

-m
    Hah! When traffic's bad; you aren't moving, when it is flowing, people drive 80, sometimes in the right lane.