mtbr member
    May 2010

Bikecation Itinerary Help

Five of us ladies from the Yukon are coming down to California to celebrate a 40th birthday. We are trying to figure out what the "can't miss" trails are that we should hit up. Our plan is to start in San Francisco and then drive down the highway with our last stop in Santa Monica. We're hoping to find some sort of schedule that would let us do one 2-5 hour ride a day and then jump in the car and crawl down the highway to the next destination.

We are all strong riders, and used to technical BC/Yukon terrain.

Any ideas for us?

Is there good riding near Santa Monica? In Santa Monica?

Thanks muchly!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There's some reasonably good riding in the Santa Monica mountains, but IMO it would be well worth your time to drive a little further inland to the San Gabriel mts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slvander View Post
    Any ideas for us?

Is there good riding near Santa Monica? In Santa Monica?

Thanks muchly!
    On your way down the coast, there is riding around San Luis Obispo (near Montana de Oro, for example). And you will definitely want to ride in Santa Barbara! There are quite a few options, but I like going up Romero Canyon, riding along the Camino Cielo road, and then down Cold Springs trail, with is pretty technical.

Lots of nice trails in the Santa Monica Mountains, plus some in surrounding areas. One that would be nice for you is in Simi Valley; go up Chumash trail and down Hummingbird (with a down and back up Johnson Road if you want a longer route). See Rocky Peak Area in Simi Valley Trail Map and Descriptions

There is a nice loop in Sycamore Canyon by Point Mugu, not really technical but some nice singletrack and views of the ocean. Point Mugu State Park Trail Map and Descriptions

There are also trails along the Backbone Trail from Kanan Road to Corral Canyon, and around Cheeseboro and Palo Comado Canyons - lots of trails to take in those area. I think you would like going down to Las Virgenes Canyon - I like to take Gaspipe from Shepherd's Flat. Cheeseboro, Wood Ranch & Upper Las Virgenes Area Overview Map

If I had just one ride to do in this area and I wanted it to be more technical, it would be Chumash/Hummingbird. It's a bit farther from Santa Monica than the other trails, but not bad.

Enjoy the trip - sounds like a blast!

official eMpTyBRain
    If you want a good, hard work out with beautiful scenery and changing terrain, I'd do the Backbone Trail, heading East from the Kanan Road tunnel on over to Corral Canyon Road. It's an out and back that will give you a taste of what riding in the Santa Monica Mtns is all about.

Also, consider including San Luis Obispo (Central Coast) as one of your stops as you head down the coast toward Los Angeles. I'd suggest Montana de Oro. Great trails there.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the responses - it's looking like it'll be an awesome trip. Especially since we'll have some warmth and ocean.

Sled of Lead.
    Question. What time of the year will you be riding?
    The dates that you are down here could affect trail availability for desert riding and high altitude riding.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    First week of May - is snow melted by then up high?

official eMpTyBRain
    Generally, the snow is melted below 7000-8000 feet by then but the terrain can remain messy for some time after that. Depends on how much snow we get here and how late it comes. That is something you simply cannot predict here.

Desert riding can be too warm by then also. Keeping it near the coast will provide a mild/favorable riding environment.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation