O.C.C. member

Bike?Trails? in the Conejo

Everything is coming together for my trip to the Conejo valley

I will be heading out sometime this weekend for a week of work,play,and 75 degree weather.I will be staying with a friend in Newbury Park who has a bike (Kona Stuff,I think) and is a beginner like me.He's not into mtb as much as I am and don't think he even has (or wants) a helmet,I do want to get him out for a ride or two.I'm thinking about Charmlee,seems like an area with little climbing/descending but still fun to get out and ride.Any other recommendations would be appreciated!

I'm also wondering what bike I should bring.My first thought was to bring my Kona Lava Dome.I just got it a couple weeks ago and have riding it quite a bit,it's a 2001 chrome hardtail,it fits me well and rides great.

Second option would be my Camber with all the bells and whistles a pricy FS comes with.I dont know if I feel comfortable on a 48 road trip with it in the back of my truck tho,I'm getting a cable lock either way.I not sure if I need full suspension for the riding we will be doing.

Am I going to regret leaving the Camber behind?Am I going to want to leave my friend at home, head out on my own and hit the good trails?

Thanks for any help you can give me,I am very excite

official eMpTyBRain
    Bring the Camber. You're gonna have a hard time finding flat trails, it's hilly here and it can be bumpy. Don't leave it (or any bike) locked up in/on your truck. Not safe at all. Leave your friend in the dust and go stir some dust up! Did I mention that the trails are very dusty here now?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

O.C.C. member
    So...are you trying to tell me its dusty? lol

I'm not havin my bike sit shotgun and dont want to put my shell on the truck.The bike has to sit in the bed during the 24 grueling hours I have to drive each way.A lock is just there so someone cant grab it while I make pee pee at a gas station.It will be fine unless it rains for hours during the drive,even then its probably ok.I tend to worry a bit much and having an expensive bike back there does make me well...worry.I'll see how much space it takes up with the wheels off,maybe it'd fit in the x-tra cab.

I'll see what amount of riding he's willing to do and maybe that will help me decide if I even bother taking him.I know I want to ride,just not sure how much I can handle,that's why I seek the easy stuff.Bitd I could ride T.O. to Simi to N.P. and then take Sycamore all the way to the beach on a bmx,but that was 20 years ago.

I was planning on building up my bike muscles and stamina here in the Midwest while waiting to get out there,but this trip came up before I've had a chance to do that.

official eMpTyBRain
    You're bike will be fine back there, which ever one you choose to bring. Just open up the back window a bit so that it can enjoy the music you'll surely be cranking inside the cab. Gotta show it some love...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Leave the bike in the truck (locked up) only to go peepee, not to eat unless you have eyes on it and can get to it in a heartbeat. I'd find a way to get it inside the cab if I could.

Bring the Camber IMHO. The Lava Dome would do in a pinch, but . . . . you've got a Camber! Ride that sucker!

O.C.C. member
    Thanks fellas...I really do want to jam on the Camber.I guess it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Still wondering if I can handle a typical SMM trail.I haven't even been on a "trail" yet,just some short rides on crappy paths.Maybe Wildwood would be good for a beginner.Guess I'll just wait and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Here's a suggestion.

Start at Sycamore Canyon from the beach. (Point Mugu State Park) Head out of the camping area on the fire road. Continue until you come to a Tee. Take a left. Your're now on the Woods Canyon fire road and it continues all the way to the ranch center (not occupied), up a hill and around somewhat and back to the main fire road. From the beach this route will be about 15 miles and not too strenuous. What's great about it is along the way you will pass several excellent trail heads that can be taken as an option.

There is the fire road to the top which is a great climb, Woods Canyon trail (not to be confused with the fire road), Quadalasca, Sin Nimbre, Sage and Two Foxes. Get a map of the area and you'll see how they all interact. Great xc riding but some of the trails can be strenuous for beginners.

Good Luck

O.C.C. member
    il2mb,thanks for the suggestion! That sounds like what I'm after.

After some thought, I don't think I would do to bad on something a little more challenging.If I take my time on the climbs and downhills,and don't go crazy,every thing else is easy.I may not be as fit as I could be,but I still know I can pick good lines and coast with the best.

I'll start with Sycamore and see what happens after that.Sounds like a few other friends might be joining in on the fun too.

Any good large shops around?I know about NPBS and a few other LBS in the area.I'm wondering if maybe the valley has somewhere that stocks a lot of gear.Here where I'm at now there isn't much selection,maybe 3-4 brands of ok stuff.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    il2mb,thanks for the suggestion! That sounds like what I'm after.

After some thought, I don't think I would do to bad on something a little more challenging.If I take my time on the climbs and downhills,and don't go crazy,every thing else is easy.I may not be as fit as I could be,but I still know I can pick good lines and coast with the best.

I'll start with Sycamore and see what happens after that.Sounds like a few other friends might be joining in on the fun too.

Any good large shops around?I know about NPBS and a few other LBS in the area.I'm wondering if maybe the valley has somewhere that stocks a lot of gear.Here where I'm at now there isn't much selection,maybe 3-4 brands of ok stuff.

Thanks again!
    Sycamore Canyon is a great suggestion. If you want something more challenging, one of the side trails mentioned would be great. For climbing, go up Guadalasca; it's mildly technical but really a very nice steady gradient climb. You could either go down the Overlook Trail or down Backbone for a more technical descent. Just be careful of riders coming up.

Another good ride in the area is the Los Robles trail, at the end of Moorpark Road. It has some great switchbacks on another nice climb. It could be a bit much for a beginner, but it's fine for an intermediate rider.

Finally, there are a lot of great trails in the Cheeseboro Canyon area. The main ride up the canyon to Shepherd's Flat is good for beginners, with a couple of sections that would have to be walked but with lots of interesting terrain. There are many options off of the main trail - probably 50 miles of riding in that area of all levels.

Have a great ride!

Glad to Be Alive
    if your friend doesn't have a helmet don't ride with him...or buy him one
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days