mtbr member

Bike Rental Recommendation

Im coming out to Anaheim end of May for a few days and was looking to rent a bike and ride Catalina. Does anybody have any recommmendations for shops to rent from?

I would also like to hear from anyone about Catalina, have read alot of reviews but some of the info seems conflicting. Any help would be great, thanks.

mtbr member

Forgot to Ask

Thanks Crash
    are the bikes they rent decent? I am going to bring my pedals and shoes to put on a bike. Should I rent a bike in Anaheim and bring it with me?

mtbr member
    I havent been there for a couple years but give some shops a call see what bikes they offer and get trail maps good luck

mtbr member
    The bikes you can rent from Avalon (there are a few rental places) are pretty poor. Also I'm pretty sure they're not for off road use. Best to take your own over on the boat (small charge for this) Let me know how your ridign there goes as I've often thought of taking the boat to '2 harbours' then riding over to Avalon, staying the night then heading back the next day.

mtbr member

Catalina Trip

Thomas,
    Just got back home from CA. The Catalina trip was good, the bikes that you can rent are ok. Trek 3500's w/ racks...they are tanks! Supension was toast, you could bottom them out in a small pothole. I shouldn't complain, it was easier than flying with mine. I brought my shoes and clips and the follks at Brown's Bikes were good enough to change them out for me.
    As for the riding, like many of the posts about Catalina, you have no place but UP to go. We started in Avalon and went up MIddle Ranch Road to the top and then over to the Airport. There is very little flat for the first 1 hour of climbing. Nothing but switchbacks, loved it!!!! I took pictures of which I will post a a few to give you an idea of the route.

You can do the ride easily in one day, I rode with my wife, who thought she was gonna puke the first 1 mile!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Sencha. How far would you say the airport was from Avalon? Is it a dirt fireroad or pavement?
    Weather over the weekend was nice (altho a little hot!) so that must have been a sweet ride.