New question here. Bike Rental in LA?

I'm visiting my sister for a few days in Los Angeles next weekend and would like to ride a trail that actually has some elevation (I'm from Houston). Houston has 2 mtb trails in the city and they've gotten pretty boring over the last 6 years.

Can anyone recommend a LBS that rents trail worthy mtb's?
    and...
    what trail should I ride?

Pro Crastinator
    not sure what kind of bike you are looking for, but i have a small kona dawg (with plenty of useable seatpost still on there) that you are more than welcome to borrow for the time you are here. no idea what trails you should ride though since i don't really know where you'll be riding....
    Attached Images Attached Images

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by KNORMAL
    I'm visiting my sister for a few days in Los Angeles next weekend and would like to ride a trail that actually has some elevation (I'm from Houston). Houston has 2 mtb trails in the city and they've gotten pretty boring over the last 6 years.

Can anyone recommend a LBS that rents trail worthy mtb's?
    and...
    what trail should I ride?
    The truth is that it's hard to find a MTB trail around here that does not have some elevation.

LA is a big place, so where in town will you be staying?

Do you want an epic ride or just something to do for a few hours?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Same Plan as KNORMAL...

I have the same plan as KNORMAL above, I will be there the weekend of August 5, that will be the day for my Nieces wedding reception. I will be staying there for the whole week and may be able to ride in one of those days.
    I am also looking for LBS to rent bike possibly Stumpy expert FS. I plan to recruit my nephews or nieces to ride with me. I (will) may be staying at Whittier area. I researched the trail closest, and it seems that Turnbull trail is around that area. Unless there are others there that any of you could fill me in. A trail that is mainly XC and some techical stuff, about 15 miles loop if ever, and close to the area (considering gas price).
    Thanks in advance...
    JD

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Kona Dawg

WCH,
    Great Kona Dawg, but I'm sure that the weight of that is about 33# give or take as far as I remember about the reviews for that bike, made for DH/hucking whistler kind of trails. I do not believe the Turnbull canyon/trails has the capability for your bike. A good XC/all mountain bike should do well sub 30# weight for climbing for me. I have the RM ETSX 50 at O5, I am not sure if any LBS close to whittier would rent me that kind of bike. Therefore I zeroed in on Stumpy FS which would be a more common bike that is around. If you know anybody who frequent the turnbull area or if you know of a LBS, please do let me know.
    Thanks
    JD

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    the path bike shop in tustin, orange county rents stumpy. orange county got better rides than turnbull, might as well bike at oc if you rent at the path

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    don't all "specialized concept stores" rent bikes now? Just need to find the closest one to Whittier (which since I'm from Orange County I have no clue).

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

further query?

rmtks
    Thanks for the info, Path Bike Shop, in Orange County, how far is it from the Whittier area.
    I do not have any clue where in Whittier my brother lives. The last time I was in LA, everything seems to be 2 hours drive. Oh BTW the bikeshop, would you be kind enough to post their web site or phone #. Thanks

BLT fan;
    The renting I thought is just the perks decided by any LBS, I did not know that the company has a say in that. I did hear that bike co. do dictate what the LBS should do, I was told that mainly that would be for the sale of the co. bike, what the LBS have to display etc. Never knew about the renting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

bike rentals

I think under normal circumstances it is up to the bike store to decide whether or not to rent. In the case of the specialized concept stores I think it may be more of a requirement but I am not entirely sure. The best thing to do imo would be to check out specialized's web site, find the closest "concept store" to you sister and call em up to see if they rent - if not ask them who does.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoy_d
    WCH,
    Great Kona Dawg, but I'm sure that the weight of that is about 33# ....A good XC/all mountain bike should do well sub 30# weight for climbing for me..
    it's sub 33#, but that's OK, it wasn't offered to you. pansy.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you're staying/visiting anywhere near the West side of LA, not far from LAX, call Cynergy Cycles (310-857-1500). They're a high end specialized shop. They might rent.

And I'd recommend driving up HW 2 into the San Gabrielle mtns and doing the Strawberry peak / down Gabriellino loop. It's the most elevation you can get near LA (one hour drive, depending on where you are) and it's stunning, somewhat technical, and nearly all single track after a moderate fire road climb. Check Geoladders.com for the trail info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

bikeshop web site or phone

nonoy_d

http://www.thepathbikeshop.com/
    it might be around 45 min drive from whittier

here is a closer fsr test center , this is closer to whittier and from norwalk but i have'nt been here
    10 to 20 miles depending on which part of whittier you'll come from

BUENA PARK BICYCLE CO
    6042 BEACH BLVD
    BUENA PARK, CA 90621 US
    714-521-8120
    http://buenaparkbicycle.com

Quote Originally Posted by nonoy_d
    rmtks
    Thanks for the info, Path Bike Shop, in Orange County, how far is it from the Whittier area.
    I do not have any clue where in Whittier my brother lives. The last time I was in LA, everything seems to be 2 hours drive. Oh BTW the bikeshop, would you be kind enough to post their web site or phone #. Thanks

BLT fan;
    The renting I thought is just the perks decided by any LBS, I did not know that the company has a say in that. I did hear that bike co. do dictate what the LBS should do, I was told that mainly that would be for the sale of the co. bike, what the LBS have to display etc. Never knew about the renting.

hbishome
    Jul 2006

Surf City Cyclery has Demo Bikes

Surf City Cyclery in Huntington Beach has Specialized Stumpy and Epic Demos.
    http://www.surfcitycyclery.com
    On Edinger off the 405/Beach Blvd. 714-842-1717
    I used to live in Uptown Whittier at the bottom of Turnbull, so it's a great place to ride but like another one said, OC is better. More trails, not such a small area, but Whittier Hills are fun if you're stuck riding there only. Easy freeway drive from Surf City to Whittier is 405/605, exit Beverly, which turns into Turnbull Canyon Road in Uptown.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks all for the info,
    I have checked out the website for both the path, and surfcity. If both will be less than an hour drive (sans traffic) at least I have 2 choices. The path at least has specialized, and other intersting items. The pics and video are entertaining too. And the surf city has specialized and rocky mountains hopefully they have the ETSX50 demo/or rentals.
    FYI, my nephews and my nephew in law to be are non MTBers. I am introducing them to the sport and hope they will like it. Majority of them are in the perfect age to start this sport (with jobs and able to afford the perks). Hopefully I'll be able to let them enjoy the sport and take advantage of your numerous (treacherous) trails around LA...
    If any have more info and suggestions I'd be happy to take them.