mtbr member
    Nov 2007

bike recommendation for so cal (san diego)

i'm just trying to get into the sport and need to pick my first bike. most of my riding will be trail riding, XC type stuff. anyway my question which kinda bike would you guys recommend for the trails in the san diego area, between these two? Marin Palisades Trail and the Diamondback Sortie 1 as i can get a killer deal on either of these bikes through the shop i work at. so it comes down to full squish or hardtail. also can get a good deal on an ironhorse if anyone thinks they have anything to offer, haven't looked into them too much myself. thanks for any help you can offer.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    How about rent some bikes from local shops and determine if you want/like/can afford a quality FS. XC can be done on a SS rigid to a fully w/5". So many choices. Just get something and ride! 17 years now, first 5 rig was rigid, next 2 years with front sus, next 10 full suspension. Full suspension is not about comfort,although it is a side benefit. The objective is keeping the bike on the ground. Sounds simpler than it is sometimes.

It's all GOOD!
    Last edited by CEB; 11-27-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Ya, what's you riding style?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member

Hey B

Any bike you ride is a good bike!
    I would go for a hardtail over a full suspension in your price range and since you are trying out for the first time. Generally you get a better parts package on a hardtail vs. an FS when the MSRP is the same.

There is also less expense in maintaining a hardtail. Parts and labor and such.

Is a great deal half price? Are you at a Sports Chalet? If so, you should go to the other two shops to see if they have older models (or even other brands) they are trying to get rid of.
    Last years bikes sometimes have better parts than current years.

I only asked about Sports Chalet because I think most shops would offer up another brand for you. Not just Diamond Back and Marin.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    I only asked about Sports Chalet because I think most shops would offer up another brand for you. Not just Diamond Back and Marin.
    Yeah i work at Sport Chalet. So my options are pretty slim there. maybe in the future if i get really into the sport i'll be forced to look for a better product outside of sport chalet, but for now its a good deal for me. I also hear i can get a deal on Fuji though, but again i haven't really looked into them too much.