mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Bike rec. for Eastern Santa Monicas?

I've worn out my first bike (2005 Specialized Hardrock) and am looking to get a new one, probably full suspension. I figure that it would be relevant to choose a bike based on the trails that I ride. Here they are:

(Always start in Santa Monica at Wilshire (no driving allowed!))
    1. Bike on the pavement.
    2. Climb and descend the Backbone, or climb Sullivan canyon and descend either Sullivan ridge or Westridge. Not going down Kenter again anytime soon...

I think that this would be called "XC" as opposed from "all mountain". But, I have noticed that Westridge is getting rebuilt with some more intensity then it had before...

I've heard that the Santa Cruz Superlight is good, or maybe a Giant Trance. Does anyone else that rides here have any reccomendations? I'm in the $1500-2000 price range.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by benchcomptons
    I've worn out my first bike (2005 Specialized Hardrock) and am looking to get a new one, probably full suspension. I figure that it would be relevant to choose a bike based on the trails that I ride. Here they are:

(Always start in Santa Monica at Wilshire (no driving allowed!))
    1. Bike on the pavement.
    2. Climb and descend the Backbone, or climb Sullivan canyon and descend either Sullivan ridge or Westridge. Not going down Kenter again anytime soon...

I've heard that the Santa Cruz Superlight is good, or maybe a Giant Trance. Does anyone else that rides here have any reccomendations? I'm in the $1500-2000 price range.
    I think a hardtail is just fine for the SMs. But since you are in the market, why not go to corba's malibu canyon thingy this sunday and test ride some bikes - there will be demos there of all types of bikes.
    Love, Impy

Go Lakers!
    I started with a hardtail. I moved to a FS within a few months and I love it. I am riding a Specialized Stumpjumper Elite. I would agree with Impy, try to demo as many bikes as you can before you purchase. It is all about feel, etc...
    [SIZE="3"]Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift that's why they call it the present [/SIZE]

Knomer
    I think you're already on the right track. The Superlight is a great bike for the area, is priced right, and is very low maintenance.

WOW, in fact, a light bulb just went off. How tall are you? I have a doctor friend who bought a superlight a couple months ago, rode it twice, and didn't like mountain biking. Could be the deal you're looking for.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I also ride the Santa Monicas and just switched to a full susp. I went with the HiFi after trying a trance and stumpjumper. It's a personal decision so try as many as you can. Personally, it felt right and i love it. It feels super light on the climbs and is nimble for the singletrack. Good luck.

Mt Wilson Motoboy

Good job! SC Super light!

Can't go wrong at $1600.00 out the door! Fair kit, needs a headset when new, get forks later, some wheels even later, makes a nice build!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Got a superlight today at Helens. It goes really fast. Skipping some responsibilities tomorrow to ride again...