Lord of the Chainrings

Bike Park in Southern California

"Southern California has everything. But what SoCal does not have is a bike park. Eric Carter wants to change that. Follow this Ridemonkey forum and help get a bike park in Vail Lake, California."

Go here: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197613
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

2 minutes turkish
    drop that in the DH forum...i have a feeling most dudes on the so cal trails thread roll XC. Let me know what we (dirt cartel ) can do, we are just up the road in Murrieta.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That would be killer. I know a few guys who would be all about it, not only riding but helping build or whatever needed to be done to ge that plan rocking and rolling. Might want to post something in the DH/FR forum, I'm sure you could get a huge response. I'm pumped to know that something is in the works.

Z

mtbr member

Just 2 hours North of LA!

So we're all ready on this in Northern Santa Barbara County. It's called the Stump Grinder Dirt Club. While we're not calling it a park, it is pretty much going to be just that. We may even some day install a recycled tow rope from a ski hill, if we can find one. Please read the earlier post below that I pasted here and follow the provided links to get all the info. We would love to get the likes of Eric Carter involved with what we're doing. If any of the SoCal's want to come help please contact me, my info is below. Today, the 1st of March, we have a group of volunteers that are building a ladder bridge on Downhill Course #4. Eventually we'll have 4 different short but really fun DH runs that can be shuttled all day long without a hiker in site! We'll be here tomorrow as well.

It’s was an awesome day out at the Stump Grinder Dirt Club outside of Los Olivos (directions http://www.ridesb.com/syvclassic_mapdirections.htm) yesterday. This weekend is going to be just as nice and there are no races! What a perfect time to come help build a private mountain bike riding area! This is the site of the second largest mountain bike race west of the Rocky Mountains, the Santa Ynez Valley Classic presented by Platinum Performance the weekend of May 15th – 18th http://www.ridesb.com/syvclassic.htm, and we’re again the second stop on the National Mountain Bike Series (NMBS). Online registration is open now at https://www.sportsbaseonline.com/Item.aspx?id=2070. This is our local race that just happens to have become an important race internationally as well since the pros will be vying for very important UCI points for the first time! Remember that while we at SG Productions organize and promote this event, we do so because this area deserves a mountain bike race of this caliber and because YOU deserve a race of this caliber, THIS IS YOUR RACE! Please volunteer to help on the weekend of the race we really need you. To volunteer please email both me hecktone1@cox.net and Drew Hunter at watair1@earthlink.net.

Perhaps you have heard that the Stump Grinder DC (SGDC) is going to become an exclusive, private, membership driven riding area or club starting June 1st. The rumors are true! (http://www.ridesb.com/sgdc_activities.htm) To this end we are out there almost every weekend building sustainable trails, designed by mountain bikers, for mountain bikers. These trails will be of all varieties, DH (4 Runs by ‘09!), 20 miles of XC, our NEMA International Dual Slalom Course is built and ride able right now! We have plans to add a pump track as well as several North Shore type ladder rides and features. To join the club and to read about all the benefits of membership go here http://www.ridesb.com/sgdc_activities.htm & here http://www.ridesb.com/images/formsmaps/sgdc_app.pdf.

This is pretty exciting stuff, a 100% private “club” that mountain bikers can go to and ride in peace, without conflict with any other trail user groups, and no bells needed! The SGDC has even received coverage in national mtb publications and has the ear of the bicycle industry. There will be skeptics, but we already have sold our first few memberships so this is going to work. Don’t worry if you’re not a member you can still visit by paying a “gate fee” of course if you join you get clothing, event discounts, free camping, discounts at bike shop sponsors and many other perks.

So if you want to see what we’re doing and check the place out, or if you just want to help, please come out this Saturday and Sunday March 1st and 2nd and help us build the new DH course for the National and work on the new XC addition. Work for only a few hours then you’re free to ride the courses and have a good time. There will be BBQ Hotdogs and refreshments as well being served at 12 noon both days. The gate opens at 7:30 AM we hope to be heading off to the work zones by 8:15. Please bring a flat head shovel or other digging tools, water, sunscreen, etc., etc.

After this weekend the next build weekend is Easter Weekend March 21, 22 & 23. If anyone wants to have a three day camp out, building in the mornings and riding in the afternoon, just let me know.

Hope to see you at the SGDC this weekend or in the future!

Thanks,

Mike Hecker – Owner
    Stump Grinder Productions
    (805) 896-0673
    Hecktone1@cox.net

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    CORBA has also been working with the City of Glendale on their Trails Master Plan that includes a Bike Park. No lift access though! Maybe a shuttle of some sort might be able to be worked into it.
    www.corbamtb.com CORBA-Working for MTB Access in the L.A. area.
    www.otbmbc.com

mtbr member
    Cool! The owners of Vail Lake are pretty open minded and I hope those guys can put something together.

Lord of the Chainrings
    We need to hook him up with the Whistler Bike Park staff and show him just how successful a bike park can be.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fast hecky
    So we're all ready on this in Northern Santa Barbara County.
    I don't wanna be rude, but you've done this in both threads I've read regarding Vail Lake. I'm all for getting SoCal parks open, but start your own thread to push your agenda and stop trying to draw away attention from EC's project in Vail Lake.

mtbr member

Hey Guys - Support it!!!

This has the potential to be a pretty big deal! I have been working out at Vail Lake for the past 4-5 years and the potential for DH is awesome! There is a lot of talk and ideas up in the air. But it looks like EC is on top of it and making headway. I will be opening up a section on my 12 Hour website to have a petition you can log onto and sign up for. So make sure to support SOCAL and lets get it done.
    EC Best of luck and we local promoters support you 110%
    Jason Ranoa
    " 12 Hours Of Temecula "
    SoCal Bike Festival
    SOCAL'S #1 ENDURANCE MTB EXPERIENCE
    www.12hrsoftemecula.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Letters to Vail Resort

I have already gone to the Vail Resort home page and written them about the idea. I hoped to tell them of the success of other locations and the importance of getting the right build the first time. So I mentioned using the guy who did Whistler. The possibility of something like A-Line or Dirt Merchant would spell instant success.
    Maybe everyone should go through the Vail home page and write them to reinforce the interest and pent up need for such a venture in SO CAL.