Stray Bullet

Bike Choice for the Cannell Plunge

What kind of bikes are you guys riding when you do the Cannell Plunge?

I have a FR bike, Yeti AS-X and a AM bike, Yeti 575. Which would everyone recommend? I don't mind pedaling the AS-X if the going down is going to be really fun.

Any one wear a full face or is it overkill?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Last year I took my xc bike (XCE) with no armor and didn't have any problems. This year I'll be on my big bike (6pack) only cause it's more fun to ride and I think I'll be able to handle the climbing. There are some rocky sections on the upper part and a couple rocky switchbacks on the "plunge" part, but nothing a smaller bike can't handle. It's a fairly long ride and the climbing is at high elevation. I recently read from a local that it is a little rockier than last year.

Something's tingling
    Quote Originally Posted by STJunkie
    Last year I took my xc bike (XCE) with no armor and didn't have any problems. This year I'll be on my big bike (6pack) only cause it's more fun to ride and I think I'll be able to handle the climbing. There are some rocky sections on the upper part and a couple rocky switchbacks on the "plunge" part, but nothing a smaller bike can't handle. It's a fairly long ride and the climbing is at high elevation. I recently read from a local that it is a little rockier than last year.
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm debating whether to bring my geared hardtail or SS hardtail for my first time out there. I'm currently running 34x20/21 for the SS and can take most climbs in SoCal, but would I need a higher/lower gear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm debating whether to bring my geared hardtail or SS hardtail for my first time out there. I'm currently running 34x20/21 for the SS and can take most climbs in SoCal, but would I need a higher/lower gear?
    Last year I rode a Unit (33x20?). The climbs are minimal so take whatever is best for XC and descending. And take water, lots of water.

If I ever go back it will be to climb it. The most fun (and all too short) was riding granite boulders near a stream. Otherwise it's a just a long ride.

members only

I'll be riding my Bike

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    ...take water, lots of water... it's a just a long ride.
    Last year a few were not feeling so well after drinking the "natural" stream water (It's during the fireroad climb out of Big Meadow), 'course it was a few hours after the ride so we were back at the campsite.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    I can't remember any steep climbs except for one on the plunge section and it was a hike-a-bike type. I would suggest full suspension, but my bones and joints are older than thier years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    When I rode it last year, there were bikes ranging from SS to 6" AM bikes. I rode it on my Truth and it wasn't demanding at all. Like someone else said, just a long ride. You can do this on a HT, though a full suspension would be more fun. 4-5" is more than enough for this ride.

Something's tingling

Good job!

Thanks for all the tips. I'll probably bring cogs from 18 to 21 and a few tire choices for the ride just in case.

member: kv dirt daddies

bike

I do this ride often and I ride a gemini (7" front and rear, 8" brakes, 38 pounds). I think it works great but I don't have much a choice. That is the only bike I own. It is overkill and I would think the 575 would be perfect. I think you SS and hardtail guys are nuts but I see plenty of those types of bikes up there. They don't seem to have any problems. There are a lot of loose rocks on the trail right now. Suspension makes this ride a lot more comfortable but you don't have to have it.
    The only reasonable way to climb this trail is on a motorcycle. If you try to ride your bike up I would suggest you wear hiking boots. You will be doing a lot of pushing for the first 8 miles..

Something's tingling

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by jfsh
    I do this ride often and I ride a gemini (7" front and rear, 8" brakes, 38 pounds). I think it works great but I don't have much a choice. That is the only bike I own. It is overkill and I would think the 575 would be perfect. I think you SS and hardtail guys are nuts but I see plenty of those types of bikes up there. They don't seem to have any problems. There are a lot of loose rocks on the trail right now. Suspension makes this ride a lot more comfortable but you don't have to have it.
    The only reasonable way to climb this trail is on a motorcycle. If you try to ride your bike up I would suggest you wear hiking boots. You will be doing a lot of pushing for the first 8 miles..
    Hehe. The funny thing is I started riding on a FS. My I-drive had 4.6"/4.0" travel f/r. But I got SS-curious and after I converted my steel rigid beater into a SS, the rest was history. But I didn't want to give up the gearie, so I transferred the parts into a hardtail frame. I may get a FS in the future, but right now my imagination is pondering whether to go fixed or free on a custom rigid 29er.

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsh
    Maybe I will go with the AS-X and clip in. That may be the best compromise.

I'm used to shuttling and want to treat the Plunge portion as a huge DH course.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005

Go 575!

Your 575 would be a great tool for that ride.

I'd recommend a large profile front tire for the sandy sections.

I run a 2.4 Panaracer w/low pressure and it rails in those conditions.
    It wasn't me

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    Your 575 would be a great tool for that ride.

I'd recommend a large profile front tire for the sandy sections.

I run a 2.4 Panaracer w/low pressure and it rails in those conditions.
    AS-X has a 2.5/2.35 Nevegals
    575 has 2.35 Blue Groove and 2.1 Nevelgals

If I ride the the AS-X I will toss a 2.7 Nevergal on the front, great for Mammoth.