mtbr member

Bike/Camp 2-3 hours from Los Angeles?

Looking for a trip for about 2 nights within shouting distance of LA. We waited a bit too long to book for our plan A (SLO/MDO), and are lookin' for ideas. I'd love to be able to bike in and out of our camp site, but wouldn't mind short drives to trailheads, if riding takes too much time. Anyone taken such a trip? Ideas?

Thanks!

official eMpTyBRain
    Why can't you stay in LO, SLO, or MB to ride the Cen Coast stuff?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Why can't you stay in LO, SLO, or MB to ride the Cen Coast stuff?
    Camp sites are booked up online. I guess we could just show up but I'd rather be assured we have a spot.

Anyone know if Kernville is a good destination? Too much snow? Would the plunge be rideable at this early date?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

official eMpTyBRain
    What I'm saying is, get a room and share the costs.

mtbr member

We could totally do that, but I want to camp. In need of some time under some stars.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Stuff at MdO is first come, first serve, so you can't go off what online says. If you show up early on a friday or sooner you'll be fine. Cerro Alto is another good campsite with riding in and out but only if you can handle elevation and I don't think that place ever fills up. Or go a little farther south to Lake Cachuma and do Camuesa and Little Pine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Anyone know if Kernville is a good destination? Too much snow? Would the plunge be rideable at this early date?
    As far as I know the road to Sherman pass is closed 'till may or depends on the winter. We usually don't go there 'till mid June.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bigringrider101 View Post
    As far as I know the road to Sherman pass is closed 'till may or depends on the winter. We usually don't go there 'till mid June.
    Are there other trails up there that don't go as high up?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    There's JO but it's kinda same thing. I'm sure there's a bunch of down trees on the trail. Stay even closer and go camp and ride Sycamore cyn near Oxnard.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by bigringrider101 View Post
    Stay even closer and go camp and ride Sycamore cyn near Oxnard.
    That's what I was going to suggest next. Heck you could hit lots of BB sections from there.

mtbr member

That would be totally awesome, but I probably ride there once a month as it is. Looking for a change of pace, hence the distance.
    If MDO is first come first serve and one was to show up Sunday, you think I'd have my pick of sites?
    Anyone have a couple of good tracks they like?

Thanks for all the help, guys.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

official eMpTyBRain
    Have you ridden MdO before?

mtbr member

Nope! I've heard good stuff though. Lots of ST, yes?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

official eMpTyBRain
    Nope! I've heard good stuff though. Lots of ST, yes?
    Yes. Some smooth, some technical. Not enough for 2 days worth of riding though, IMO. You gotta hit the other stuff, too. Hopefully the SLO boys will chime in and give you the best suggestions. I'm waaaay overdue to go up there and ride again, myself. Are you planning for this weekend?

mtbr member

Other stuff like Cerro Alto?

I have next week off so I'll probably take Sunday to Tuesday...maybe Wednesday.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

official eMpTyBRain
    Other stuff like Cerro Alto?

I have next week off so I'll probably take Sunday to Tuesday...maybe Wednesday.
    That's one place I never tried. But up behind Cal Poly on the mountain has some fun stuff like Morning Glory and the connecting trails. There's also a few other short rides like Madonna Mtn and Irish Hills.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I would ride MdO two days in a row (but that's just me, and YMMV). I camped there for 10 days last August. Got the reservations in June when others backed out. Actually got it in two chunks, like 6 days and then another 4 days became open and we grabbed that too. Just keep checking back, and more than likely someone will back out of a reservation.

An FYI: We were there during the first two weeks of August, and the temps in the CG (a couple hundred yards from the beach) never got above 65 in the daytime, and was down into the 40's at night. When you ride, and get a mile or so inland, the temps got up around 80 or so.

Morro Bay State Park is also a nice CG and close to MdO, but if I camped there, I would probably drive into MdO and park there. The lot right at the beach in front of the CG at MdO is free to park for day use. Also, if you wanted something a little different, there is a road ride near the Morro Bay State Park on Turri Road that is very scenic and has relatively little auto traffic. And if you like a sinfully good post-ride hamburger, Sylvester's in Los Osos puts any burger joint I know of in LA to shame.

At any rate, Sycamore/Pt. Mugu is nice as well since you can ride right out of the CG there too.

In the summertime, there are several places to camp up in Big Bear. You can get into Holcomb Valley CG or some of the other more off the beaten path spots with no reservations and usually plenty of room. But, the more popular spots right at the lake are usually booked months in advance. Still, they too will have people giving up their reservations as the time gets close.

mtbr member
    yeah, LO, SLO, or MB from LA, close to MdO, Lots of ST & BB sections, hit w/ the SLO boys and YMMV IMO, just an FYI

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Idlywild. Hurkey Creek CG. You can ride from the CG.

Kernville. Ride the Keyesville Race Course and the Kern River Trail. JO might have snow at the top.

You can ride the Cannel trail in reverse. Start at the bottom and ride up to the snow.

I think the snow is around 7000 ft so all the high country trails are snowed in.

mtbr member
    Tons of options for bike camp. Kernville is great. You can get a great trail map at Kern River Brewing or MRA. Lots of great trails besides Cannell (won't be open for a while) and JO, but for some reason few people venture beyond those. Just don't camp along the river north of town. Expensive, crammed, and rowdy. Check out Boulder Gulch (USFS camp) just south of town or Keyesville (BLM land).

SLO is great, plenty of riding options. CCCMB

Santa Barbara has some great riding and forest service camping.

Ojai, same thing. Ventura County Trails (lots of areas covered)

Santa Monica mountains have some good camping and riding (Backbone trail). Check out the NPS map http://www.nps.gov/samo/planyourvisi...AMOmap2012.pdf

It may be a bit early for some higher elevation stuff, but the San Gabes have some good riding/camping (Chilao camp or Wrightwood area) as do San Bernadinos (Big Bear, SART area) and San Jacintos (Hurkey/Idyllwild). None of these are too far from LA and are well worth it. Mountainbikebill.com has a lot of info on these areas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If MDO is first come first serve and one was to show up Sunday, you think I'd have my pick of sites?
    Yes. I was out there this last Saturday, mid-day, and there were probably a dozen spots still open just at the bottom lot.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Another vote for Idyllwild/Hurkey Creek campground. You can ride right out of camp. Also, there are also really fun trails 20 minutes away in Idyllwild, although you'd probably need a guide. Hub Cyclery in town is the hook up.

OTOH, MdO is a great spot. Have fun!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-24-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

29er for the Soul
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kermit the Frog View Post
    yeah, LO, SLO, or MB from LA, close to MdO, Lots of ST & BB sections, hit w/ the SLO boys and YMMV IMO, just an FYI
    Well, Kurt (the OP) definately has the right idea about getting out of town.

Can anyone translate the abbreviations?

thanks
    Last edited by teachndad; 03-23-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: misspelling
    So Cal Rod

mtbr member

On my way up to MdO. Thanks for the recommendations guys. This will keep me busy whenever I have a few days off.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox