Thread: Which bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Which bike?

I am going to start mountain biking but don't know what bike to get. Want to ride fast downhill trails but don't know where any are. There are two trails that I know about: Southridge, and Box Springs. If you know of any trails that would be similar to Big Bear with minimum amounts of pedaling please let me know. I want to go ride Southridge this weekend if I can rent a bike and someone will go with me. Want to see what the terrain is like for myself before I totally commit. I was looking at a couple bikes, the Stinky Dee-Lux, Banshee Scream, Giant's Faith 2, and possibly Scott's Nitrous 20 or Nitrous SL22. I you think one or more of these just won't work please let me know. I want to spend around $2000. I can get the bikes at cost. Thank you for your input.

high school loser
    well, where do you live in socal exactly.
    [SIZE=5]member of the ZombiEKilleRSquadron[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]"we kill zombies dead"[/SIZE]

98% of all teens do drugs or have tried them, if you are in the 98% range, copy and paste this in to your signature

Waiting to exhale.
    Hey dude,
    I noticed not to many people have responded so I will give my .02 cents. I understand that you want to do shuttle/ski lift type DH riding. Take into consideration where you live and what kind of trails you have access to on a regular basis. Honestly that will dictate what kind of bike you may need. If you are just starting to ride, I would honestly suggest starting on a Freeride-ish hardtail with a beefy fork. Why? because it will help you build skills that most people don't have. It will teach you to be smooth and develop great handling skills. Then later if you know you are committed and you go with full suspension, you will appreciate it that much more and you will have great skills. If that is important to you then I think you should go that route.

I don't really know you or the whole story behind why you want to ride but, IMHO, You should start trail riding XC ish stuff first, this non pedaling thing is wierd.... You're on a bike, its got pedals, you are supposed to pedal it. Even Hard core DHers pedal up hill sometimes. Last thing I want to say is this.....I think you are getting into bikes for the wrong reason, thats just my stoopid opinion, take it or leave it, whatever. The last thing WE as MTBers need is a noob on a big bike who shuttles up every trail only to come bombing back down like a raging bull flying past all the real bikers who climbed the trail. There are only a few shuttle trails around, or you are stuck resort riding. Don't get me wrong bro, I don't assume you are an ahole. I don't mean to assume that you will have bad trail manners. I just want you to know that it is important that you don't become one of those shuttling jerks who run people off trails, spook horses or joggers and never say excuse me as they bomb down the trail. Those types of F@gs should stay up at big bear.......oh wait, they can't anymore can they! Probably because they could not follow the rules and stay on designated trails. Anyways, kona stinkys are cool, if you could swing another 600 or so bones why not a SC heckler? Or a Bullit?
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    I do have to agree with a lot of what Smokey said about getting into this type of riding, etiquette (sp?), and such. Just like he said, I'm not implying that you are an a-hole, just make sure you do all the proper things: use a bell on your bike; don't skid around corners but learn how to modulate your breaks; yield to hikers, equestrians, and uphill riders; only ride legal trails (this is why Summit was closed); etc. As long as you do these things, you should be alright.

As for bikes, the Kona Stinky is a good bike for under $2k, also the Ironhorse SGS Expert. I bet you can find a good used Giant DH Comp at that price, too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Good job!

What Smokey said.....

Unless you peddle you will never understand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Try hardtail

This weekend I am going to try to go to Southridge and ride the trail on a rented hardtail XC bike. If I really don't like it then you are probably right about getting into it for the wrong reasons. If I do like it I will look at some hardtails and talk to some other people about using a hardtail for a year or so to see if I really do want to commit. Thanks a lot for your input, no one has had the balls to say that to me and I really appreciate your input. I live in Riverside but am willing to drive an hour or so to get to a good trail. Quick question that you guys might be able to answer about hardtails. Would a hardtail be able to do Mammoth, Brian Head, etc. a couple times a year. I would think that they would be stronger because they don't have as much moving parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelman
    Would a hardtail be able to do Mammoth, Brian Head, etc. a couple times a year. I would think that they would be stronger because they don't have as much moving parts.
    Well, a lot of us have ridden both places on a hardtail or even fully rigid bike, so the answer is YES, but...you'd much prefer a full suspension bike at both places even if it's not a "DH" bike. There are many XC or "trail" full suspension bikes in your price range that are excellent "pedalers" for riding trails where you don't have a ski lift or pickup truck to do your climbing for you, but that have excellent suspension that will make places like Mammoth, Big Bear, Brian Head (GREAT Heavy XC riding) or even Southridge, or the San Juan Trail and SART (both near your home) even more fun.

Riding down Mammoth Mountain last year for the first time on my XC/Trail full suspension bike, I was coming down a section I've ridden on both rigid and hardtail bikes and I realized I would never take my hardtail to the top of the mountain again. Done. Over. --This is from a guy that splits his time between the FS bike and a really cool singlespeed hardtail. I had a similar epiphany regarding disc brakes, by the way.

So, you can go with a hardtail, sure: just get a good frame and a good fork. Hardtails remain great bikes. But, without getting a boat-anchor heavy, nearly single-purpose "DH" bike, you can get a great XC or "trail" FS bike for $2k, also. If you've got a connection to buy "at cost", there are a lot of nice rigs in your price range.