Thread: big sur

rouge agent

New question here. big sur WTF!

im lookin for trails in the area around carmel (within 50 mi or so) that are not to technical. Also, if you can camp at any of the trails can you state that. Im goin down there for a week for some serious one on one time with my bike.
    Last edited by freeeradical; 07-15-2006 at 10:04 AM.

mtbr member

easy one

Quote Originally Posted by freeeradical
    im lookin for trails in the area around carmel (within 50 mi or so) that are not to technical. Also, if you can camp at any of the trails can you state that. Im goin down there for a week for some serious one on one time with my bike.
    Andrew Molera State Park.

i liek 2 wrench
    Dec 2005
    A fire road:

Old Coast Road

It begins opposite the park mentioned by PacMan

That park is a minimalist park though.
    If you go further south a little, there is a full service campsite in the trees, fully sheltered from the wind. It is popular though, so you may not find a free spot.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Check out Fort Ord. It's not Big Sur, but near Monterey. Hit it early in the day; there's not much shade, more grassland and brush. Problem with Big Sur for mountain biking is the coast and mountains are very rugged and steep.. A lot of the national forest away from the coast is in the Ventana Wilderness, so no biking there.

Camping at Andrew Molera is walk in and I believe 1st come first serve; the other state park takes reservations. I think there is national forest camping down south, Kirk Creek maybe? There's some private spots as well.