Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtb'er
    The Pacific Crest Trail Association is hoping to get more power in the management of the PCT. The USFS is seeking comments during this scoping period (of a revision plan for the Inyo, Sierra and Sequoia National Forests -- the 1st 3 of 26 National Forests that the PCT passes through).

It would be important for you to submit comments opposing the "Management Area" wording (likely written by the PCTA), which continues to exclude bicycles... and could make the ban on bicycle more iron-clad if it were to be approved.

See info here for more details, including sample letters that have been submitted already: Sharing the Pacific Crest Trail - USFS Call for Public Comment

Need to do this before Sept. 29.

Here's the direct link to the comment page: https://cara.ecosystem-management.or...t?Project=3375

Note: This isn't a time to say why bikes should be allowed on the PCT... it's the time to oppose what the USFS is proposing so that we remain part of the discussion as the process plays out over the next couple years.

While the forests mentioned aren't necessarily in SoCal, this process will head your way one day. All for one, one for all!

Thank you!

mtbr member
    By the way, it would allow the antibike PCTA to jointly decide with the Forest Service whether bicycles can be allowed on federal trails that cross the PCT! The PCT could become like an iron curtain that cuts off mountain biking across areas from San Diego County to Big Bear Lake to Tahoe. Read the proposal to see for yourself how bad it is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks very much for the info.

Comment logged.

mtbr member
    PCTRI (the Pacific Crest Trail Reassessment Initiative, which is heading the effort to restore bicycle access to the PCT) sent in a formal response yesterday to this dreadful proposal.

We also copied the PCTA, a number of Forest Service personnel, and others, with an introduction in which we expressed disappointment that we learned of the plan only on the Internet and that the Forest Service is giving the public one month to learn of it and respond to it.

It's a 10-page-long pdf, far too long to post here as text. If you'd like to read a copy right away, e-mail PCTRI at pct.//initia//tive at gmail. /dot com (remove the dashes and format properly) and we'll send you the pdf. It has some legal jargon in it, but one shouldn't have to be a lawyer to read and understand it. We promise not to sell your name to some scammer overseas.

If you don't mind waiting a couple of days and would rather not send e-mail, it should be up on our website as a Google Doc soon enough: Sharing the Pacific Crest TrailHome - Sharing the Pacific Crest Trail
    Last edited by imtnbke; 09-26-2014 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ongoing efforts and updates appreciated!

Come on, lovers of the trails, let's mobilize. You gotta fight for your right to party. Thanks!

banned
    Sep 2010
    Stewards of the Sequoia, a multi-use trail advocacy group, just released this short video. Puts what the PCTA is trying to do in perspective.
    Link:
    Created by Camtasia Studio 7

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Stewards of the Sequoia, a multi-use trail advocacy group, just released this short video. Puts what the PCTA is trying to do in perspective.
    Link:
    Created by Camtasia Studio 7
    Guess who I met on the Marian Bear Park trail last Sunday?

That's correct, Barney Mann, the CEO of the PCTA!

I was hiking west as he and his family were hiking east (on the south trail). As we approached each other on the narrow trail, he stopped aside before I did and stared straight at me as I was about to pass. He said...nice shirt. That's bc I had on a PCT hiking shirt. Then he said, nice hat. That's bc I had on my PCT hat. He then asked if I hiked the whole thing...I said no, only parts, mostly in CA. We exchanged a few more pleasantries and he then asked if I was a member of the PCTA. (yes, it was like a pledge drive on PBS) I said no....but, (as like in the movie Stripes) I was willing to try! I knew his time (like any hikers) was valuable, so I didn't want to get into a discussion of the possibility of allowing biking on the PCT....it did cross my mind though. I know, I know...a missed opportunity....maybe next time...

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Guess who I met on the Marian Bear Park trail last Sunday?

That's correct, Barney Mann, the CEO of the PCTA!

I was hiking west as he and his family were hiking east (on the south trail). As we approached each other on the narrow trail, he stopped aside before I did and stared straight at me as I was about to pass. He said...nice shirt. That's bc I had on a PCT hiking shirt. Then he said, nice hat. That's bc I had on my PCT hat. He then asked if I hiked the whole thing...I said no, only parts, mostly in CA. We exchanged a few more pleasantries and he then asked if I was a member of the PCTA. (yes, it was like a pledge drive on PBS) I said no....but, (as like in the movie Stripes) I was willing to try! I knew his time (like any hikers) was valuable, so I didn't want to get into a discussion of the possibility of allowing biking on the PCT....it did cross my mind though. I know, I know...a missed opportunity....maybe next time...
    I woulda told him I have pedaled more of it than I have hiked of it, and that IMO it's a better cycling trail than a hiking trail.

A Perfect Cycling Trail, in fact!

But that's just me...

Then, I might have suggested that they let SDMBA put in some nice, discreet berms on some of the switchbacks, just in case, you know, an old guy like me gets lost, and finds himself back on that trail somehow. Sometimes those trails all look alike, Chief!

mtb'er
    He said...nice shirt. That's bc I had on a PCT hiking shirt.
    I wonder how it would have gone if you were wearing this shirt

Missed opportunity to plug sharing the PCT for sure!

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post

Probably would have seen it, then kept moving...I am sure!

Hey, where can I get one of those "PCT" tees?

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post

I want one of those!

mtb'er
    Not my creation, but here you go: PCT II T SHIRTS | Zazzle

most memberable
    May 2011
    Can it be?

Anybody know where this is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big news: Feds to consider allowing bikes on PCT-pct-bikes.jpg  

mtbr member
    Interesting. I've heard there are places where the two trails cover the same ground. Anyone know where this is?

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by imtnbke View Post
    Interesting. I've heard there are places where the two trails cover the same ground. Anyone know where this is?
    Apparently one trail's rules trump the other, bc bikes aren't allowed on the PCT...right...

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    One day the MTB community will be larger than the Hiking Community and then the money will be there to turn over this ridiculous ban..... Without money nothing gets done.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

banned
    Can it be?

A little late on the reply -- I'm pretty sure that's a section where the 2 trails align, north of Sunrise Hwy, near the Mason Valley Truck Trail.

Generally, here.

most memberable
    May 2011
    U
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    A little late on the reply -- I'm pretty sure that's a section where the 2 trails align, north of Sunrise Hwy, near the Mason Valley Truck Trail.

Generally, here.
    That is correct. Not the most exciting area to ride...if it is in fact legal, regardless of how it is posted. It's only a piece about a mile and a half long starting north from MVTT down to the creek area, then the two trails split. Signage at top/start by MVTT states no bikes...however, several signs are posted along the way that are what you see in the pic I posted (at bottom at start of the split).

So, which begs the Q: is it legal to ride that piece of the PCT? If so, it presents a precedence for the argument in favor of being allowed to ride the whole PCT...bc the rule is you can't ride ANY of the PCT (no exceptions)!

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    What I find hilarious is that all the hikers who are against Bikes on the PCT have no idea exactly what kind of riders they would be sharing with. The PCT is not know for having Gnarly downhills with drop off, jumps and other features that Big Hit and All Mountain type riders are going to want to hit.

I can only really see the weight wienies and other Serious Cross Country guys be interested in doing bike-packing trips, to me these kinds of riders are the ones who do not destroy trails, have a serious love for the environment, etc, etc.

On top of that, the PCT is not going to become some sort of MTB Commuter lane, it is still only going to be traversed by the more hardcore nature lovers who plan for years to make a trek of this sort on a bike.

Having more nature lovers on the trails will only make them safer for everyone, especially for hikers. Imagine a hiker gets ill or hurt way up in a wilderness section and a MTB comes along. The MTB rider could more quickly get to a place to notify help than another hiker could......

The entire argument is so ridiculous.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    What I find hilarious is that all the hikers who are against Bikes on the PCT have no idea exactly what kind of riders they would be sharing with. The PCT is not know for having Gnarly downhills with drop off, jumps and other features that Big Hit and All Mountain type riders are going to want to hit.

I can only really see the weight wienies and other Serious Cross Country guys be interested in doing bike-packing trips, to me these kinds of riders are the ones who do not destroy trails, have a serious love for the environment, etc, etc.

On top of that, the PCT is not going to become some sort of MTB Commuter lane, it is still only going to be traversed by the more hardcore nature lovers who plan for years to make a trek of this sort on a bike.

Having more nature lovers on the trails will only make them safer for everyone, especially for hikers. Imagine a hiker gets ill or hurt way up in a wilderness section and a MTB comes along. The MTB rider could more quickly get to a place to notify help than another hiker could......

The entire argument is so ridiculous.
    It appears you haven't been on the PCT that much!

I have been on lots of it from Idyllwild on down...and there are some especially good sections of it that bikers would love to hit (mainly XCers*). Up in east SD county mountains, you know where I am talking about...the ST (err, I mean, PCT) there is beautious XC stuff!!! Up in Idyllwild, though, the ST (I mean PCT) there is (err, I mean, would be) great for both XC and DHers. So, if opened up, both types would go there, trust me.

mtb'er
    ^ If each land manager the trails goes through were allowed to manage their section of trail as they see fit, I think things would be much different. They know their trails and they know how to manage multi-use (usually). It does not mean that every mile of the non-wilderness sections would/should be open to bikes, in my opinion. If there was an easily shuttled DH segment that required no real effort to get to, I could see that being a trail conflict disaster. But maybe that section is only open to bikes certain times of the year (e.g., late in the year, after the hikers are long gone). The key is if something like that ever happened, the mtb community would also participate in mitigating any excessive wear ripping down the trail causes. Allow us to use the trail and we'll start helping with its maintenance.

Fortunately in NorCal (Tahoe area), there aren't many places that the DH only crowd would flock to. Sierra Buttes to Sierra City is a possibility, but that trail is so chunky, un-steep and riddled with switchbacks, I can't see it being all that popular for shuttling and excessive speed... especially with the traditional Downieville routes right there.

Are there SoCal sections (Idlyllwild/Big Bear/etc.) that are easily accessible by shuttle, or does everything require a pretty sturdy ride or climb to get to?

banned
    Sep 2010
    The sections of the PCT that I am familiar with ( the section going up into an through Mt. Laguna and then down to Anza Borrego) are quite literally interspersed with lots of pedaling and climbing sections.

Totally un-suited for the shuttle crowd. This section of the PCT trail would make much larger loops possible by connecting different trail systems together.

I would most certainly frame it as a win/win scenario.

mtb'er
    Cool. Similar situation in South Lake Tahoe... PCT cuts off some pretty burly loops and point-to-points. If opened, I'd guess the mtb use would go from 25 poachers a year to 50 riders/year. It won't be a highway, and I think it would total about 5 miles. North Lake Tahoe is even more unappealing due to massive climbing, but big, interesting loops could be achieved (non-Wilderness). The 35 miles north of Donner Summit to Sierra City sound very unused by hikers once the thu-hikers go through. Only adventure riders will tackle that one, even as a partial out-and-back. This knowledge and the accusations that we'll ruin the trail and the trail experience is what drives me nuts.

banned
    I've backpacked the first 400+ miles of the PCT and there is by far more XC-style trail than not.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    I've backpacked the first 400+ miles of the PCT and there is by far more XC-style trail than not.
    Exactly. And a bicycle on that trail would have a much much lower chance of going off-trail than a hiker or an equestrian. It's how we roll....we stay on the track. Hikers and horse peeps just wander off the trail whenever they feel like it, to see some flowers, or check out the view.

Actually, mtb riders are less impactful on the trail tread than horses, and less likely to impact the ground and habitat on either side of the trail than hikers.

In short, mtb riders on the PCT are the best possible user group for that trail, if you just look at the facts. And think about who will save the flowers and the horny-toads.
    That would be us.

Swiss Cycling Technology
    Jan 2012
    Can it be?

I've seen markers like this on a truck trail down the Banner Grade outside of Julien. At that point it was a fireroad and not single track. They ran together for about a mile or two as I recall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There is only one section of PCT in the Big Bear area that can be shuttled( Onyx Summit) but there are several climbs on down. A few years ago, a good portion of the trail got washed out. They built a new section with climbs and some really tight switchbacks, so tight, I can't see a horse getting through them. I have not ridden that part lately because of that new section.
    We ( hardcore BB riders)ride the perfect cycling trail all the time, off season, but pretty much stay off of it from mid May-September.

banned
    They should open sections of it to bikes from Oct-Mar, at least.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123