moe.
    Sep 2005

Big Bear this weekend?

I wonder how the Yucca Valley fire is going to affect Big Bear. Has anyone been up there today or yesterday. Anyone planning to go this weekend?
    Last edited by mtntrance; 07-13-2006 at 05:50 PM.
    "These people take a dump thatís a bigger difference than the a 5 Spot and a Blur LTc." DT

Over the Hill
    Not sounding to good up there. CHP is talking about closing Highway 38, fire aproaching Onyx Summit. Forest Service states that if the fire gets into the dry and bark beattle damaged forest they will not be able to stop it.

Link for Latest Reports.

Death By Snoo Snoo
    buddy of mine called snow summit around noonish and said that they were going to be open... but they didn't mention anything about the road going there. Hopefully theyll get that fire under control.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would stay clear of riding in Big Bear this weekend. Not only are you at risk of trekking off somewhere that could get fire the air up there is going to be really nasty. We all want to breathe properly when riding right? Try breathing smoke while riding...

ss poser
    i'm headed up on sat am fire permitting. my buds that live up there says smoke isn't a problem as of last night. will call again tonight. if the fire does shift, bb will be evacuated.
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

Death By Snoo Snoo
    So Tink Bell... How was it? Was there alot of ash or smoke/ash in the air?

34N 118W

fire

this was the view from the drive up on Fri. afternoon. Didn't look promising. But Sat. morning we woke to blue skies and no smoke - it all depended on the wind direction. This morning we woke up to a smokey lake and it smelled like someone's fireplace ash. I wasn't up there to ride, and I wouldn't want to be inhaling the air I could see today.

hope y'all had a good time.....it was hot, too!
    Attached Images Attached Images

ss poser
    it was a blast. warm on sat, but not too bad w/a little cloud cover. we rode kinda late. short ride up 2n08 & down dickies & 1e01. sun was nicer. started early & did grout bay to grays peak. only saw a tiny bit of ash on sun. not like last year's fires. also, some rain on sun afternoon. shoulda helped the fires a tiny bit. great w/e overall.

Death By Snoo Snoo
    thanks for the report Tink Bell, should be there next weekend.

mtbr member

looks like I will be there on the weekend

I should make it up there this weekend.
    I was not sure where to stay, and where to ride. I got some hints here Where to stay at big bear?
    http://www.caddesignwork.com/ where CAD Design and drafting happens.

ss poser
    i'm headed back up again tonight. wanna try the exploration trail. if i can find it... should be a blast!

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by tink bell
    wanna try the exploration trail. if i can find it... should be a blast!
    You may have seen my report, it is a very easy trail to find.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...ead.php?t=2802

ss poser
    we got directions from the visitor's center. they were very helpful, but said this was an 'advanced' trail. (maybe the switchbacks?) still fun. we rode it up & down. read your post. didn't know we could ride the road up & then drop in. definitely harder, but still fun. we didn't do the extra credit up to the lookout b/c it started thundering & lightning. rained on us on the way out. very nice. just a light rain.

did grout bay again on sun. bigger group this time. wicked sweet after the rain. got just enough to buff out the trail. made it part way up to gray's peak before it started pouring on us & then turned back & flew down to the cars. i hit that little rock jump at the bottom of gray's peak & stuck it!

on the drive out we stopped for a last ride & went up 2n10 to 1e01. did the extra credit to the lookout (only 1/4 mile up) then bombed down 1eo1. i've never been down that trail so fast. had one good crash mid way through. trails are in excellent condition from the bit of rain we got sat night. squeezed in 20 miles total on sun! yeah!!

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by tink bell
    we got directions from the visitor's center. they were very helpful, but said this was an 'advanced' trail. (maybe the switchbacks?) still fun. we rode it up & down. read your post. didn't know we could ride the road up & then drop in. definitely harder, but still fun.
    Yes fun little trail, advanced...NO.

Were there many hikers on the trail?

Would you climb it again or loop it using the road?

Dean

R.I.P. DogFriend
    My son and I did a shuttle from Hannah Flat to Grout Bay last week (Wednesday I think...) and really liked it. Some rain before probably would have helped immensely as the sandy areas were a bit treacherous.

Did the chair at SS on Friday and actually saw a bear on the backside of the lift area. Had a nice little staredown from about 30 paces for about about a minute before we tried to get the camera out of the pack at which point he decided to split rather than challenge my obviously intimidating presence....

BTW: What front tires can be recommended for the Big Bear area?

I was riding with a Tioga Blue Dragon in the front and may have been better off using a bare rim for traction.

ss poser
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    Yes fun little trail, advanced...NO.

Were there many hikers on the trail?

Would you climb it again or loop it using the road?

Dean
    i'd ride it again. i like to 'earn' my downs, even though the elevation was getting to me & i hadn't eaten much for breakfast. i felt much better on sun after eating more & probably after having been up there for a day. i really felt strong on the 2nd ride sun. yeah, that ride's just too short to not climb it.

not many hikers. think we ran into 3 or 4 parties total. not bad.

mtbr member

I was there this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    My son and I did a shuttle from Hannah Flat to Grout Bay last week (Wednesday I think...) and really liked it. Some rain before probably would have helped immensely as the sandy areas were a bit treacherous.

Did the chair at SS on Friday and actually saw a bear on the backside of the lift area. Had a nice little staredown from about 30 paces for about about a minute before we tried to get the camera out of the pack at which point he decided to split rather than challenge my obviously intimidating presence....

BTW: What front tires can be recommended for the Big Bear area?

I was riding with a Tioga Blue Dragon in the front and may have been better off using a bare rim for traction.
    I was there as well and really liked my HighRoller 2.35 ST UST in the front.
    I had a Panaracer Fire XC on the back that was shredded at the and of the day.
    http://www.caddesignwork.com/ where CAD Design and drafting happens.