It ain't easy being Green

Big Bear - Trick or Treat

To whoever cleaned up the lower section of Trick or Treat by the fallen tree: thanks! That's nice trail work and a definite improvement, much appreciated.

Have a great weekend!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The lower part of Trick or treat is to become part of the Skyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    The lower part of Trick or treat is to become part of the Skyline.
    I can't visualize how that's going to work but I'll take your word for it. Is Skyline going to loop back on itself? That would be interesting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I know what you mean, I havent worked on that section yet, but when told about it, I thought the same thing, maybe it'll make sense while looking on a map.

mtbr member
    This is still an illegal trail I was told by the locals....I did get to ride it, they of course told me at the bottom!
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It is, and always was "illegal" we used to call the trail " ill eagle" or "sick bird". That trail and a few others were to be permanently closed in trade for the newer trails being built, which I think is a bad idea, the trail is already there and it is built pretty good except for a couple of sections that could be reworked to fend off erosion and such.

It is, and always was "illegal" we used to call the trail " ill eagle" or "sick bird". That trail and a few others were to be permanently closed in trade for the newer trails being built, which I think is a bad idea, the trail is already there and it is built pretty good except for a couple of sections that could be reworked to fend off erosion and such.
    I didn't know it was illegal; as a new arrival I've been riding the trails that are mentioned on the maps and various websites. Bummer... it's a fun trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Correction to my earlier post, Skyline is going to use the bottom of Plantation, not Trick or Treat.
    Trick or Treat, techically, its and illegal trail, just as the Larry Longo Trail, Powerline and a few others, but that doesn't mean you cant ride them, no one will ticket or harrass you, it just means its out of the US Forestries legal trail network system.
    BTW, we ride PCT all the time in the off months, October- April and never have problems with anyone.

Thanks for the info! Coming from San Diego I had got used to being harassed constantly by rangers on my neighborhood trails which suddenly became "illegal" after years of use.

That's the second time recently that I have heard the name "Larry Longo"; is he a local guy? He beat me in a race last week...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah, Larry is a local fast guy and race announcer. The LL trail is also called Ho Chi Mihn trail which is off of 2no8 at the first 180 turn going up, about a mile from Town Trail and comes out back on 2n08 a mile or so before 1e01near the top of Snow Forest.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Can't keep these trail names straight. Trick or Treat is aka stonehenge? Larry Longo aka Ho Chi Mihn, and someone called it "snow valley"? Maybe they meant Snow Forest, which would make sense.

Is that tree still down on Cabin 89?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Another correction(see what happens when i get out of the loop). Skyline is going to use both Plantation and Trick or Treat as a continuation of that trail, haven't ridden it yet, will post when I find out more.

Another correction(see what happens when i get out of the loop). Skyline is going to use both Plantation and Trick or Treat as a continuation of that trail, haven't ridden it yet, will post when I find out more.
    Since that's exactly how I continue Skyline, I approve

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog999 View Post
    Can't keep these trail names straight. Trick or Treat is aka stonehenge? Larry Longo aka Ho Chi Mihn, and someone called it "snow valley"? Maybe they meant Snow Forest, which would make sense.

Is that tree still down on Cabin 89?
    Theres a tree down on Cabin 89? There's one down on Pineknot which I'm surprised didn't get cleaned up for Labor Day weekend, but Cabin was fully open just a few days back.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You're right, it was on Pineknot.

mtbr member
    Skyline is going to use both Plantation and Trick or Treat as a continuation of that trail, haven't ridden it yet, will post when I find out more.
    I'm interested on how they plan to connect those together. When I rode Skyline E to W a couple weeks ago they seem to have joined it straight in to Secret trail. That would make sense to me, because you could then connect via some user trails over to Cabin 89 and on down to Pineknot Trailhead.

Whatever they do hopefully it will be good. I didn't like the western half of Skyline that much at first but it seems to ride better each time I ride it now. It would be awesome to eventually have trail that connects around to Grays Peak TH.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I'm interested on how they plan to connect those together. When I rode Skyline E to W a couple weeks ago they seem to have joined it straight in to Secret trail. That would make sense to me, because you could then connect via some user trails over to Cabin 89 and on down to Pineknot Trailhead.

Whatever they do hopefully it will be good. I didn't like the western half of Skyline that much at first but it seems to ride better each time I ride it now. It would be awesome to eventually have trail that connects around to Grays Peak TH.
    What's the name of the trail that terminates at the rickety wooden bridge next to an open lot on the fire road? It starts at the bottom of Forest Dream and the middle section is very new, still under construction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Secret trail cannot be used fully because it crosses a stream near the bottom and the forestry will hve none of that and to built a bridge, it has to go the Army Corp of engineers, so that would be too costly. Another reason to run the trail where it is going is that it would eventually going to connect to Town Trail.
    The trail that scadbiker is referring to is what we call " Cedar Lake trail" that might not be the offical name though...sd, you should come out and ride the Thursday evening mtb ride which leaves Starbucks at 5pm, you'll find more trails to ride with great, friendly riders.

mtbr member
    The trail that scadbiker is referring to is what we call " Cedar Lake trail"
    That one sounds like what I was referring to as new section of skyline leading in to secret trail. Gotta love it when everyone has their own names for each trail.

Edit.... looking at my gps track now it is definitely different from the map I have which shows Secret. Similar area, but distinctly different trail. I've looked around for Secret a couple times but never found it.

Still don't see how connecting to Planation or ToT makes sense.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Secret trail can be found by, if you come onto 2n10 from Forest dream(wet dream), when you cross over the road and get back on Skyline, you will be on Secret trail after about 1/2-3/4's of a mile or so. I haven't been on it lately, but heard that you'll ride Secret for about a 1/2 mile, then it cuts over to Plantation, again, I'm not really clear how this all takes place, I'm going to go ride it tomorrow to see what I can see, Ill post what I find out.