mtbr member

Big Bear this summer???

do they still allow bikes up at summit or bear? if so anyone know the regulations?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    They still allow xc type bikes, no dh though. The regulations are

under 35 pounds

less than 6 inches of travel

3 chainrings unless they are singlespeed

less than 2.5 tire size

mtbr member
    are the trails worth ridding?

mtbr member
    If you know where to go in the National Forest and don't mind some pedalling, absolutely. A 6" trailbike is still a blast on easier trails, a DH bike and a DH trail isn't necessary for a good time. And they're pretty chill about the rules, if you fail one or two they'll still let you ride. (I have a 36.5 lb FXR with 2.5" tires, dual chainrings and 6" fork.) Just don't show up with a dual crown and a single chainring DH rig.
    Craig Kelly is my copilot.Product Marketing and Product Photographer

mtbr member
    I'm camping near Snow Summit in June, with the bikes and my wife. I went there last year and it was pretty fun, took a while to find the good single track, but one we did it was awesome, really flowy with water crossings and the whole deal.
    Since my wife is going with me this time we are going to need some nice easy trails, so anybody that feels like posting recommendations I am all (appreciative) ears...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    One of the best trails for a beginner (or about anyone else) is the Grout Bay trail, located on the northshore in Fawnskin. The trail actually starts in the Hana Flats campground and ends up in the Grout Bay day use area.
    Park in the triangle lot, near the Fawnskin fire station, proceed up Rim of the World Dr., for about 2 miles, on your left, a little way past Camp Whittle, is the Hana Flats campground, find space #51 and the trailhead starts there.
    This trail is twisty, turny, up and down, lots of fun. You can make a diversion at the 4 mile mark, which is the climb to Greys Peak. The Greys Peak climb is a approx. 1200 ft climb in 2 miles, but the veiws and the ride down are worth it, just look out for other trail users.
    There are singletracks all over in Big Bear if your willing to look for them. We ride the PerfectCyclingTrail alot with no problems.
    Ask Derek at Bear Valley Bikes for routes, he'll be happy to show you.
    In June, the weather will be perfect, usually in the low 80's, with the nights in the 50's.

Also, on the way up to Hana Flats, the road will fork, stay to the right, or you can take the left path which will bring you up to Butler Peak. Its probably 5 miles from the intersection too the topand the climb up is semi-brutal especially when you get closer to the top, but there is a fire lookout that you can climb up to, the veiws are awesome!

I lived in Big Bear until December of last year, and rode mostly the non Snow Summit side.

mtbr member

Thanks!

I'll post some pictures when we get back...