suspension whore

Big Bear/ Snow Summit petition- sign up

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/downhill/petition.html

It probably wont change anything but stand up and be heard anyway.
    Money talks so feel free to mention how much money you spent in the Big Bear area (use comments area)
    Spread the word, it can't hurt.

Death By Snoo Snoo
    I just signed it, maybe we should post this on the downhill forum... i am sure people outside of california would not mind supporting keeping a resort open to downhillers.

Are you gonna eat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by munkyspank
    I just signed it, maybe we should post this on the downhill forum... i am sure people outside of california would not mind supporting keeping a resort open to downhillers.
    I'm surprised they're banning it, anyone have any links to articles explaining why ?

Downhill mountain biking seems like the best possible use of a ski run in the off season to me, especially if people are paying for bike rental and the shuttle up the top of the mountain, not like these freeloading hikers who walk everywhere

jrm
    mtbr member

I guess they cant get over the liability issue..

Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    http://www.PetitionOnline.com/downhill/petition.html

It probably wont change anything but stand up and be heard anyway.
    Money talks so feel free to mention how much money you spent in the Big Bear area (use comments area)
    Spread the word, it can't hurt.
    DH put summit on the map. it created revenue, and jobs that the city of Big Bear could never draw just from skiers. Some how i see TBB being hung out to dry on this one.

mtbr member

here is some info

http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=5027
    http://dirtragmag.com/web/news-article.php?ID=353

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KevinG
    From VeloNews.com:

Big Bear: Rider dies during downhill practice

By VeloNews Interactive

This report filed May 17, 2003

Tragedy struck Big Bear Lake on Saturday when Japanese downhiller Haruko Fujinaka was killed in a crash while practicing on the Snow Summit Resort course.

According to Big Bear fire department captain Richard Flint, the 33-year-old Fujinaka lost control of her bike after hitting one of the many jumps on the course and crashed hard. When Flint arrived at the scene Fujinaka was unconscious and not responsive to any stimuli.

The Associated Press reported that Fujinaka was then taken to a local hospital before being flown by helicopter to Loma Linda University Medical Center in Riverside County. The Kyoto native was pronounced dead at 11:51 a.m.

Deputy coroner Jim Sedgwick said Fujinaka died from multiple injuries, but official cause of death would not be known until an autopsy was performed later in the week.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoseki
    I'm surprised they're banning it, anyone have any links to articles explaining why ?

Downhill mountain biking seems like the best possible use of a ski run in the off season to me, especially if people are paying for bike rental and the shuttle up the top of the mountain, not like these freeloading hikers who walk everywhere

Are you gonna eat that?
    Ah, ambulance chasing, had to be, bummer.

That's a real shame, can't really hold TBB liable for it though, they're doing what they have to.

I wonder how many injured skiers file lawsuits against the place each year ?

mtbr member

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    DH put summit on the map. it created revenue, and jobs that the city of Big Bear could never draw just from skiers. Some how i see TBB being hung out to dry on this one.
    Mountainbiking at Snow Summit certainly was the straw that broke the camel of inactivity's back and pushed Big Bear over the hump to full, year-round economic vitality. Before they opened it up to XC riding, the town practically shut down all summer. Once the XC crowds started coming in hoards to rent cabins, buy dinner, stalk around Pine Knot Blvd looking for anything to do... businesses perceived enough activity, combined with Old Miners' Days, 4th of July, Oktoberfest and various motorcycle rallies, that it made sense to stay open...and the whole town just took off. "DH" didn't even exist yet, in that Tomac raced "DH" on an XC bike with drop bars...

Now, in later years, I bet that "DH" riders were the vast majority of Snow Summit's summer business. But NORBA, SoCal riders and the money were all there way beforehand.

It will be an interesting summer in Big Bear. I wonder how quiet Summit will be.

That's gonna leave a mark

... and if we just ... Well EB...

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Mountainbiking at Snow Summit certainly was the straw that broke the camel of inactivity's back and pushed Big Bear over the hump to full, year-round economic vitality. Before they opened it up to XC riding, the town practically shut down all summer. Once the XC crowds started coming in hoards to rent cabins, buy dinner, stalk around Pine Knot Blvd looking for anything to do... businesses perceived enough activity, combined with Old Miners' Days, 4th of July, Oktoberfest and various motorcycle rallies, that it made sense to stay open...and the whole town just took off. "DH" didn't even exist yet, in that Tomac raced "DH" on an XC bike with drop bars...

Now, in later years, I bet that "DH" riders were the vast majority of Snow Summit's summer business. But NORBA, SoCal riders and the money were all there way beforehand.

It will be an interesting summer in Big Bear. I wonder how quiet Summit will be.
    Before you can comment on DH-related activities, you have to own a full suspension bike with more than 4" of travel. Otherwise, counselor, just keep your eyes on the paved road so you don't become a hood ornament for a Volvo...
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Before you can comment on DH-related activities, you have to own a full suspension bike with more than 4" of travel. Otherwise, counselor, just keep your eyes on the paved road so you don't become a hood ornament for a Volvo...
    Haha!! Good to see you online, bud!

Wait a second...my XC bike is a 5x5... mass-produced, but travelicious.

That's gonna leave a mark

5x5?!

Haha!! Good to see you online, bud!

Wait a second...my XC bike is a 5x5... mass-produced, but travelicious.
    I heard rumors but figured they couldn't possibly be true. Lemme guess, a Blur?

So did you retire the Manitou HT? Or is that your 1x1? Let me know when you'll be up here and we'll ride. I'll do the same.

(I still won't return to socalmtb-gestapowhineyfrigginmoderators.com)
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

rumor has it

Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    I heard rumors but figured they couldn't possibly be true. Lemme guess, a Blur?

So did you retire the Manitou HT? Or is that your 1x1? Let me know when you'll be up here and we'll ride. I'll do the same.

(I still won't return to socalmtb-gestapowhineyfrigginmoderators.com)
    that his squishy is a Cake but there have been relatively few sightings of him on the trail so nothing can be confirmed yet..........

YR

banned
    Apr 2004

XC bikes still OK? If so how are they going to determine

an XC bike from a DH bike, it's a fine line these days.
    I suppose that they could shut down the lifts and say if you can ride it up, you can ride it down, that's a scary thought, freeriders with lungs.

Good thing Sonny Bono or anyone else didn't eat it and die at Big Bear, otherwise they would have to ban skiing there also.

Good luck DHers, I am sure the local shop & business owners are also pulling for you.

mtbr member

Listen! rumore come from somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    that his squishy is a Cake but there have been relatively few sightings of him on the trail so nothing can be confirmed yet..........

YR
    Cruel, but true. This year marks the least riding I've done since the year our son was born. Between rain, trail-access wars/maintenance and pneumonia, I've been out only a handful of times, half on the Cake and half on the ss Manitou HT. I fit in with the horsemen better, thanks to my new physique...

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

man, tell me about it

Cruel, but true. This year marks the least riding I've done since the year our son was born. Between rain, trail-access wars/maintenance and pneumonia, I've been out only a handful of times, half on the Cake and half on the ss Manitou HT. I fit in with the horsemen better, thanks to my new physique...
    this winter has been awful! I don't remember Powerline hurting nearly as bad 6 months ago as it did two weeks ago! I think the rain made the hills steeper.............that's my story anyway.

YR

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Chairlift still operating, AFIK

Article in the new Decline talked about these points... I am sure this info is also somewhere out there on the web? It may be outdated but this is what I read:

The main Sky Chair will be carrying bikes in 2005 and instituting some sort of weight limit of approximately 35 pounds. You can still ride a pretty buff bike at 35 pounds, but it rules out really big machines.

But my impression is that if the injuries hadn't happened, the Forest Service would have pressured them to shut down because of all the illegal trails. That seems to have been forgotten or overlooked in all of this, that place was getting destroyed by dudes cutting their own tracks.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    an XC bike from a DH bike, it's a fine line these days.
    I suppose that they could shut down the lifts and say if you can ride it up, you can ride it down, that's a scary thought, freeriders with lungs.

Good thing Sonny Bono or anyone else didn't eat it and die at Big Bear, otherwise they would have to ban skiing there also.

Good luck DHers, I am sure the local shop & business owners are also pulling for you.

If you have to ask...

As was just pointed out

Snow Summit was going to shut down to DH anyhow, lawsuit or not. The Forest Service, who owns the land and licenses it to Snow Summit, had told them that the illegal DH runs being built by riders had to stop, or they'd pull the plug. Snow Summit made some effort to curtail these activities, to no avail. Hence, plug-pulling by the Forest Service.

The lawsuit was merely icing on the cake.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Snow Summit was going to shut down to DH anyhow, lawsuit or not. The Forest Service, who owns the land and licenses it to Snow Summit, had told them that the illegal DH runs being built by riders had to stop, or they'd pull the plug. Snow Summit made some effort to curtail these activities, to no avail. Hence, plug-pulling by the Forest Service.

The lawsuit was merely icing on the cake.

miles
    I just called them and heard the same thing. The lady I spoke to said its more the illegal trails that are to blame then the lawsuits. When she said lawsuits, I questioned her because from what I read it was only that gal. She informed me that before her, there was a couple other guys that are suing also.

mtbr member
    Has anyone try to get all of the buisness up their together?

If anyone lives up their you should get the buisness owners together. Talk to the city council the mayor who ever will listen.

I personally love riding up there and it will be a real shame.

here is their contact info:

http://www.bigbear.us/cityofbigbearlake.html