Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Big bear/snow summit

Taking a little vacation to big bear this weekend. Plan on hitting up snow summit. I heard theres no more "DH". So what exactly is there? lol. How are the trails? They seem to promote mainly flat trails/family style riding, which is fine, but Im looking for a little more then that.

Can anyone reccomend some trails to me? Is snow summit even worth it? I dont need super gnarly stuff but a decent challenge would be fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yes summit's worth it. most trail's are hush hush...there are 3 on the left and 3 on the right. left easy to find pirates and faallline on maps. on the right side after u go thru gate maybe 300 yrds take fire road right don't follow 2n10 enless u want pine knot. very cool just xcish.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yes summit's worth it. most trail's are hush hush...there are 3 on the left and 3 on the right. left easy to find pirates and faallline on maps. on the right side after u go thru gate maybe 300 yrds take fire road right don't follow 2n10 enless u want pine knot. very cool just xcish.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    sweet, thanks for the info. Ive just never been there to mtb and will probably only be there at snow summit for one day so kinda looking for recomendations and what not. thanks again.

mtbr member
    I have a friend who went up there just recently and said there were allowing DH... is that just the "hush hush" part?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I was at Big Bear this weekend for the first time. We did Pirates to Lower Fall Line twice and Upper Fall Line to Lower Fall Line...FUN. There are a few loose, silty, rocky sections on Pirates and Lower Fall Line so be prepared for it. Stay in the groove/rocks and don't use the P-lines if you can help it. This was my first time there but I can see that the trail was once narrower but people kept riding around rocks etc. and widening the trail.

We also did 1e01/Pine Knot trail. There is a little bit of climbing at the start of this trail then you get 3-4 miles of fun downhill. The trail ends at Mill St. and you have to ride through town to get back to the lifts.

Before my next trip, I will definately ask around about the "hush hush" trails. I had a lot of fun and thought the $25 all day pass was worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    At what skill level do you have to be to take on some of these trails? I realize you could creep along at 5mph but that's not realistic so am just looking to get a feel for average skill level. I've seen some of the Mammoth videos, and I'm pretty sure I'd end up in traction for 6 months after one of those runs.

mtbr member
    Snow Summit is fun, but there are not nearly the advanced trails there as in Mammoth.

IMHO, all of the posted trails require no more than intermediate trail skills. If really loose, Lower Fall Line can be a little sketchy.
    Last edited by bauhaus; 08-25-2010 at 10:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus
    Snow Summit is fun,
    Thats all I care about.

Are there any man made jumps or obstacles at all?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onemission
    Thats all I care about.

Are there any man made jumps or obstacles at all?
    Yes, a few log rollers and jumps on Upper and Lower Fall Line - at least when I was there a couple of weeks ago. You can go around the jumps if you want and even the bigger log rollers have a pretty tame transition.

There were a few bigger obstacles earlier in the season, but I did not see them last time. It seems that people are constantly changing/building things on the trail. Or, maybe I am just old and getting some of the trails confused.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Okay once or twice a year. I get bored there after 1/2 day. If you can go to Northstar or Mammoth (or even Whistler) instead, you will have a lot more fun.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    Okay once or twice a year. I get bored there after 1/2 day. If you can go to Northstar or Mammoth (or even Whistler) instead, you will have a lot more fun.
    Where is Nothstar?
    Addicted to the dirt......with no hope for recovery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke That
    Where is Nothstar?
    Tahoe

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sweet. Sounds like fun. Ill take some pics and report back after the weekend for anyone else whos wondering what its like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    for sure, but mammoth is like an 8hr drive for me vs 2-3 for big bear - just a quick vacation with some biking thrown in the mix this time. mammoth and whistler are def on my list.

Old School Legs
    Do the Exploration Trail in Arrowbear.
    4.4 miles of FUN, and it's free.
    I've done it on my hardtail, but couldn't clean everything. FS would be nice, but you don't need 10".
    You can shuttle yourself, or ride up.
    You'll need an Adventure Pass to park at the trailhead(s), or park down the road at the Valero station or in front of one of the many closed for season Board shops.
    I'm eating Lean Cuisine for lunch, so I can have beer for dinner

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JokerW
    Do the Exploration Trail in Arrowbear.
    4.4 miles of FUN, and it's free.
    I've done it on my hardtail, but couldn't clean everything. FS would be nice, but you don't need 10".
    You can shuttle yourself, or ride up.
    You'll need an Adventure Pass to park at the trailhead(s), or park down the road at the Valero station or in front of one of the many closed for season Board shops.
    Cool, will check it out. Thanks. Im riding a '10 mission 1 btw.

Old School Legs
    I should have added this the first time:
    http://www.geoladders.com/routes.php...lude_unrated=0
    I'm eating Lean Cuisine for lunch, so I can have beer for dinner

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JamisonW
    I have a friend who went up there just recently and said there were allowing DH... is that just the "hush hush" part?
    Im up here now. The guy at summit said "if you have a dh specific bike, dont even bother trying"

About to head out to summit!

Beer Please!
    As long as you have a single crown front fork you should be ok.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well I had a great time. upper/lower fall line were my favorite. got 5 runs in on saturday and 1 sunday before heading home. Took two small spills and one gnarly crash down a really steep part where I went otb, but rode away with bruises/road rash - learned alot about my bike and what changes I need to make and improved a little every ride. Next up, mammoth.

mtbr member
    ^ right on. i'm going up there tomorrow thru monday and hope to find these hush hush trails. where did you stay when you were up there?

mtbr member
    I'll be up there this weekend, got a map of some good riding. Familar with the summit side but will be exploring fawnskin area. PM if interested in hooking up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaji
    ^ right on. i'm going up there tomorrow thru monday and hope to find these hush hush trails. where did you stay when you were up there?
    I have a travel trailer and I stayed in an rv park up there. BUT we found a state owned campground literally right next door to summit and it looks really cool - low key, surrounded by pines, tent and rv camping. If I remember correctly its called pine knot campground.

There are the main trails and if you take some of the offshoots off the main trails youll find some cool stuff.

mtbr member
    ^ yeah totally, i noticed pine knot when i researched local lodging. $20 a night. although this weekend alot of places in big bear are doing 3 nights for the price of 2 labor day deal. 'so i jump in it'.

the offshoots of the trails that i've seen seem to go straight down like fall line style. i guess i'll have to explore to find out for sure.

Deano i'll hit u up via pm.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast