Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Big bear/snow summit

Taking a little vacation to big bear this weekend. Plan on hitting up snow summit. I heard theres no more "DH". So what exactly is there? lol. How are the trails? They seem to promote mainly flat trails/family style riding, which is fine, but Im looking for a little more then that.

Can anyone reccomend some trails to me? Is snow summit even worth it? I dont need super gnarly stuff but a decent challenge would be fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yes summit's worth it. most trail's are hush hush...there are 3 on the left and 3 on the right. left easy to find pirates and faallline on maps. on the right side after u go thru gate maybe 300 yrds take fire road right don't follow 2n10 enless u want pine knot. very cool just xcish.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yes summit's worth it. most trail's are hush hush...there are 3 on the left and 3 on the right. left easy to find pirates and faallline on maps. on the right side after u go thru gate maybe 300 yrds take fire road right don't follow 2n10 enless u want pine knot. very cool just xcish.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    sweet, thanks for the info. Ive just never been there to mtb and will probably only be there at snow summit for one day so kinda looking for recomendations and what not. thanks again.

mtbr member
    I have a friend who went up there just recently and said there were allowing DH... is that just the "hush hush" part?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I was at Big Bear this weekend for the first time. We did Pirates to Lower Fall Line twice and Upper Fall Line to Lower Fall Line...FUN. There are a few loose, silty, rocky sections on Pirates and Lower Fall Line so be prepared for it. Stay in the groove/rocks and don't use the P-lines if you can help it. This was my first time there but I can see that the trail was once narrower but people kept riding around rocks etc. and widening the trail.

We also did 1e01/Pine Knot trail. There is a little bit of climbing at the start of this trail then you get 3-4 miles of fun downhill. The trail ends at Mill St. and you have to ride through town to get back to the lifts.

Before my next trip, I will definately ask around about the "hush hush" trails. I had a lot of fun and thought the $25 all day pass was worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    At what skill level do you have to be to take on some of these trails? I realize you could creep along at 5mph but that's not realistic so am just looking to get a feel for average skill level. I've seen some of the Mammoth videos, and I'm pretty sure I'd end up in traction for 6 months after one of those runs.

mtbr member
    Snow Summit is fun, but there are not nearly the advanced trails there as in Mammoth.

IMHO, all of the posted trails require no more than intermediate trail skills. If really loose, Lower Fall Line can be a little sketchy.
    Last edited by bauhaus; 08-25-2010 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus
    Snow Summit is fun,
    Thats all I care about.

Are there any man made jumps or obstacles at all?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onemission
    Thats all I care about.

Are there any man made jumps or obstacles at all?
    Yes, a few log rollers and jumps on Upper and Lower Fall Line - at least when I was there a couple of weeks ago. You can go around the jumps if you want and even the bigger log rollers have a pretty tame transition.

There were a few bigger obstacles earlier in the season, but I did not see them last time. It seems that people are constantly changing/building things on the trail. Or, maybe I am just old and getting some of the trails confused.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Okay once or twice a year. I get bored there after 1/2 day. If you can go to Northstar or Mammoth (or even Whistler) instead, you will have a lot more fun.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    Okay once or twice a year. I get bored there after 1/2 day. If you can go to Northstar or Mammoth (or even Whistler) instead, you will have a lot more fun.
    Where is Nothstar?
    Addicted to the dirt......with no hope for recovery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke That
    Where is Nothstar?
    Tahoe

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sweet. Sounds like fun. Ill take some pics and report back after the weekend for anyone else whos wondering what its like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    for sure, but mammoth is like an 8hr drive for me vs 2-3 for big bear - just a quick vacation with some biking thrown in the mix this time. mammoth and whistler are def on my list.

Old School Legs
    Do the Exploration Trail in Arrowbear.
    4.4 miles of FUN, and it's free.
    I've done it on my hardtail, but couldn't clean everything. FS would be nice, but you don't need 10".
    You can shuttle yourself, or ride up.
    You'll need an Adventure Pass to park at the trailhead(s), or park down the road at the Valero station or in front of one of the many closed for season Board shops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JokerW
    Do the Exploration Trail in Arrowbear.
    4.4 miles of FUN, and it's free.
    I've done it on my hardtail, but couldn't clean everything. FS would be nice, but you don't need 10".
    You can shuttle yourself, or ride up.
    You'll need an Adventure Pass to park at the trailhead(s), or park down the road at the Valero station or in front of one of the many closed for season Board shops.
    Cool, will check it out. Thanks. Im riding a '10 mission 1 btw.

Old School Legs
    I should have added this the first time:
    http://www.geoladders.com/routes.php...lude_unrated=0

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JamisonW
    I have a friend who went up there just recently and said there were allowing DH... is that just the "hush hush" part?
    Im up here now. The guy at summit said "if you have a dh specific bike, dont even bother trying"

About to head out to summit!

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    As long as you have a single crown front fork you should be ok.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well I had a great time. upper/lower fall line were my favorite. got 5 runs in on saturday and 1 sunday before heading home. Took two small spills and one gnarly crash down a really steep part where I went otb, but rode away with bruises/road rash - learned alot about my bike and what changes I need to make and improved a little every ride. Next up, mammoth.

mtbr member
    ^ right on. i'm going up there tomorrow thru monday and hope to find these hush hush trails. where did you stay when you were up there?

mtbr member
    I'll be up there this weekend, got a map of some good riding. Familar with the summit side but will be exploring fawnskin area. PM if interested in hooking up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaji
    ^ right on. i'm going up there tomorrow thru monday and hope to find these hush hush trails. where did you stay when you were up there?
    I have a travel trailer and I stayed in an rv park up there. BUT we found a state owned campground literally right next door to summit and it looks really cool - low key, surrounded by pines, tent and rv camping. If I remember correctly its called pine knot campground.

There are the main trails and if you take some of the offshoots off the main trails youll find some cool stuff.

mtbr member
    ^ yeah totally, i noticed pine knot when i researched local lodging. $20 a night. although this weekend alot of places in big bear are doing 3 nights for the price of 2 labor day deal. 'so i jump in it'.

the offshoots of the trails that i've seen seem to go straight down like fall line style. i guess i'll have to explore to find out for sure.

Deano i'll hit u up via pm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    lol. jump in it. love that commercial.

Ya youll just have to explore or ask someone else lol. It was my first time up there but we still found some pretty rad trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yeah big bear is still worthy...only if the foretstry finally gives in to people who actually want to build cool sustainable ****...when will ca forestry give it up? and when will summit get it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Buying a bike for Big Bear?

So I have been reading up on the limitations for bikes at BB and I had a question for the SoCal forum. I wanted to pick up two of the Rocky Mountain Flatlines that I was offered at a good deal. My concern is that it is a double crown bike and does have the Bomber forks. While we do head to Mammoth a couple times a year, I don't want to limit where I can go. As several have mentioned, perhaps if you show up not looking like you are going to thrash might help. The bike is listed as an "Gravity and Freeride" and is 37lbs. It is tempting as it is a pretty nice deal but I need to make sure it can be used here as well as Mammoth. I would be getting my son one as well and he is only 10. Maybe when the two of us roll up, they won't scrutinize? Seems like it is a luck of the draw based on who the chair operator is. Let me know your thoughts as I am ready to pull the trigger on two of these.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    stop talking about it...it will get too popular and get closed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ragged edge racing View Post
    So I have been reading up on the limitations for bikes at BB and I had a question for the SoCal forum. I wanted to pick up two of the Rocky Mountain Flatlines that I was offered at a good deal. My concern is that it is a double crown bike and does have the Bomber forks. While we do head to Mammoth a couple times a year, I don't want to limit where I can go. As several have mentioned, perhaps if you show up not looking like you are going to thrash might help. The bike is listed as an "Gravity and Freeride" and is 37lbs. It is tempting as it is a pretty nice deal but I need to make sure it can be used here as well as Mammoth. I would be getting my son one as well and he is only 10. Maybe when the two of us roll up, they won't scrutinize? Seems like it is a luck of the draw based on who the chair operator is. Let me know your thoughts as I am ready to pull the trigger on two of these.
    no offense but you clearly know what the limitations are, if everybody keeps trying to push the envelope they're going to close the mountain to bikes. again.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

There are trails on the northside also

Quote Originally Posted by onemission View Post
    Taking a little vacation to big bear this weekend. Plan on hitting up snow summit. I heard theres no more "DH". So what exactly is there? lol. How are the trails? They seem to promote mainly flat trails/family style riding, which is fine, but Im looking for a little more then that.

Can anyone reccomend some trails to me? Is snow summit even worth it? I dont need super gnarly stuff but a decent challenge would be fun.
    Everyone thinks Snow Summit when they think of Big Bear and thats great and all since there are some nice trails for all abilities, but the northside of the lake also has some very good trails. No weekend trip would be complete without riding the grout bay/ grays peak trail which starts in Fawnskin. I highly recommend Pat Follets "Follets local trail map" which you can purchase about anywhere up here

mtbr member
    for sure, but mammoth is like an 8hr drive for me vs 2-3 for big bear - just a quick vacation with some biking thrown in the mix this time. mammoth and whistler are def on my list.
    really? where do you live that mammoth is 8 hr and big bear is 2/3??
    i live in Long Beach and its 2 hours to Big Bear and 5.1/4 hours to Mammoth
    im just wondering how you come up wiht 8 hours to mammoth while still being almost same distance to big bear as me

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have a travel trailer and I stayed in an rv park up there. BUT we found a state owned campground literally right next door to summit and it looks really cool - low key, surrounded by pines, tent and rv camping. If I remember correctly its called pine knot campground.

There are the main trails and if you take some of the offshoots off the main trails youll find some cool stuff.
    It is indeed Pineknot Campground. You can NOT just roll in there though as it is only by reservation there. Go to recreation.gov and you can reserve your spot. It is $22 per night plus a service fee which I think is $9. They only have bathrooms, no showers. Serrano on the north side by the stanfield cutoff does have showers. Same thing though, book it on line.

As to the knowing of the limitations comments, not everything is black and white clearly by what several have posted. The bike which I'm considering is not a murdered out downhill bike by any stretch, hence the question as I have camped several times at Pineknot and have seen the dual crown bikes rolling by and the guys wearing all the hardcore gear. Based on digging up a bunch of threads, it seems like things have become a bit more lax so I will get the bikes. Worst case if the crack down again, I will just have to go to Mammoth more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As the site reads:

1. Bikes must be less than 35 pounds.
    2. Designated tire size must be less than 2.5.
    3. Front shock must have less than 6.5 inches of travel.
    4. Bikes must have at least two chain rings unless they are single speed.

So pretty much any AM bike as long as it has two front chain rings sjould be fine. True DH bikes would most definatley get turned away I'd think. They break most of ifnot all those rules.

Mountain Biking Trails Southern California | Big Bear Mountain Resorts

The trails are more of al XC trail that just go downhill anyways, for true DH I'd just go to Mammoth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I will have to change out the crankset for sure. I have looked at the Hammerschmidt but it is just too costly. The sad thing is that it is the person, not the bike that created the problem. I think the lift guys know this and haven't ruled with an iron fist on this.

Heading to Mammoth this Friday to pick up the bikes. The cool thing too is the guy is hooking my son and I up for lift passes Saturday and Sunday. The wife isn't too enamored about this but she doesnt get it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ragged edge racing View Post
    I rode a Flatline up in Whistler, it was fun up there but it is overkill for Big Bear. The bike pedals like crap and the trails at BB are way too tame for that much bike. I think you would have more fun with a typical 5-6" trailbike...

+1 for Follets map

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Note I'm changing the crankset...

mtbr member
    unfortunately the lifties don't make policy. I've been riding bikes at Summit since 2000, I've seen all the crazy swings of emotions about bike in Summit, I know that at some point somebody will complain that DH bikes are being loaded and are causing mass erosion of the trails and the lifts will shut to us. again.

i wish there was a proper bike park in SoCal, one day somebody will make it happen.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Munky, thanks for the G2. I can't respond to PM's unless you are a Mod. See you at Summit...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Unfortunately, its going to be the irresponsible riders you do put the nail in the coffin again at Snow Summit.
    I like going DH and like going fast, but Im also a responsible user also. The trails are getting torn up, new trails are being made. Im all for new trails, but those trails straight down the fall line are going to kill it for everyone.
    I see riders all the time flying by hikers and other riders, you guys just need to slow down when around uphill traffic, in blind turns or see hikers, if your that good going DH, you should be able to regain your speed quickly.
    I hope Im not sounding like some disgruntled sierra clubber, I just dont want the actions of a few posers to ruin it for eveyone

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Jeff, curious as to whom you think is creating those trails? Do you think it is only guys that own DH bikes? I can tell you it isn't and I'm sure you know and have seen several people on non DH specific bikes trying these trails. It's lame that a few bad apples have created a stereotype that anyone that owns a DH is the cause of all evil, lol...As I mentioned, I'm getting my 10 year old son a Flatline as well as he rode it in Mammoth and has his heart set on it. Does that mean he is irresponsible, of course not.

I'm a die hard jetskier and it is the same over there. You have the stand up guys vs. the "couchers" which I don't subscribe to. Some will debate that because of the coucher that it has given jetski's a bad rap. Some think they are better than others based on what they ride. My ride is a KawiDoo (SXR with a 951 Seadoo) and I don't single out someone because of what they ride but rather their actions. You can be an idiot on either.

Anyway, I'm heading to Mammoth this weekend to pick up the bikes and get some riding in while I'm there. I didn't realize how sensitive this topic was but know that I am a responsible rider and my son will be as well no matter what we ride. Hopefully everyone else takes a look in the mirror and can say the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    And your right, its not only the guys on DH bikes, but thats not what I said. Im just saying its going to be the guys on DH bikes that I believe could put an end to having the lift to use as a shuttle. It seems the rules on which bikes that are allowed on the lifts have been getting a little loose this last year and I dont think its such a great idea. Dont get me wrong, I use to race DH and owned a DH bike, I sold it when the lifts were closed to DH bikes.
    Its not only in BB where we all should be a little more responsible, we should be everywhere we ride.
    Snow Summit is the only lift service area in So Cal, lets preserve that and maybe SS may someday open up to bikes and racing. When SS was open, it was awesome to haul a$$ downhill, knowing that hikers and others were'nt on the trails or if they were, it was their responsibility to watch out for the bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    There is the problem Jeff, you have already set the stage that it will be the DH's fault instead of the idiots tearing the place up on whatever they ride. Even though you were a DH'er, your casting blame before anything happens?? If they really want to take action, plant a few guys out there and cite anyone off trail. Any bets has to who will be cited most? It sucks people accept status quo. I'm for anyone who wants to ride responsibly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Dont really want that either. I see what I see, and mostly it is the riders on DH bikes mostly, but anyone can ruin it for everyone.
    i had a few close calls a couple of weeks ago, I yelled at the riders, so i needed to vent.

mtbr member
    It's really too bad that the local Big Bear riders can't get together and help create a better trail network, ie, downhill only trails, rider trails, directional trails, etc. I mean, i go to other communities like idyllwild or downieville or a multitude of other communities that are so much further advanced than Big Bear regarding bike trails. That is a real shame considering how many people ride up there, I remember talking to a Ranger about that exact subject a couple months ago in idyllwild who agreed with me about Big Bear. Get your act together Big Bear locals!
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    summit is steep and it would take a lot of wrk to keep water from destroying the trails....but if summit is goin to give me a ride up, well let me rip the face runs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Anybody down to road trip up to Big Bear Sep 23-24 from San Diego county locals hit me up we have a group of 4 and looking for more to joins us.

Life Is Short
    OMG this post is a little over a year old
    Ride More, Eat More

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    true but seems like a few people have brought it back up doesnt hurt to use the same thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    OMG this post is a little over a year old
    And your point is?? Perhaps it is still relevant today so why start another thread? Just as an update, I took the bikes up and they have increased the weight limit to 43lbs. While that is nice, I find it interesting how a 210lb guy on a 30lb bike is going to cause any less erosion then a 180lb guy on 43lb bike. Fuzzy math I guess...

BTW Cat, nice Sig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast