mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Big Bear singletrack suitable for a tandem?

Heading to Big Bear to stay with some relatives and wondering if there is any XCish singletrack that would be tandemable? Thanks.
    Mrwhlr's stepmom rides a 5 spot

official eMpTyBRain
    No. In fact, due to our twisty, turny, up and down terrain in So Cal, I cannot think of any trails that would be suitable for a tandem.

On what trails and where have you ridden a tandem before?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    nothing witty here...

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    Two things...

1) Nowhere in BB is like it is in the video. I thought about this after I read the OP. It would have to be more or less straight ST in order to calibrate two bodies.

2) Heck, mountain biking is a dangerous sport for a single rider to start with but to be able to calibrate two bodies on one bike over ever changing terrain is an incredible feat. My hats off to those who do it but that looks mighty risky to me.

To the OP, there are lots of wonderful fire roads and back country roads to ride on both sides of BB lake. Do bring your tandem when you are up in that area but the trails (single track) are tight and twisty and somewhat technical up there. I wish you well.

It ain't easy being Green
    Quote Originally Posted by EndurBro View Post
    Heading to Big Bear to stay with some relatives and wondering if there is any XCish singletrack that would be tandemable? Thanks.
    Yes, there is quite a lot of that. Pretty much the entire Skyline trail, 12 miles from Bear Mountain in the east to the bottom of Forest Dream in the west is suitable for a tandem, give or take a handful of obstacles that you will have to carry the bike over (unless you & stoker have very advanced handling skills). Take the fire road back up the hill a little and then use the Plantation trail to climb back to the ridge line. If you have any skill at downhill you can seek out Trick or Treat, this will be a challenge on a tandem but do-able; alternatively the Pine Knot descent is less challenging but still fun.

You can noodle around on Skyline ridge almost all day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Two things...

1) Nowhere in BB is like it is in the video. I thought about this after I read the OP. It would have to be more or less straight ST in order to calibrate two bodies.

2) Heck, mountain biking is a dangerous sport for a single rider to start with but to be able to calibrate two bodies on one bike over ever changing terrain is an incredible feat. My hats off to those who do it but that looks mighty risky to me.

To the OP, there are lots of wonderful fire roads and back country roads to ride on both sides of BB lake. Do bring your tandem when you are up in that area but the trails (single track) are tight and twisty and somewhat technical up there. I wish you well.
    I've seen tandems coming down Holy Jim trail in OC, very narrow and twisty with rock gardens.
    nothing witty here...

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    I've seen tandems coming down Holy Jim trail in OC, very narrow and twisty with rock gardens.
    My mind is blown. I can barely comprehend the concept. Now you guys are telling me it's going on all over the place under every type of riding condition.

I was answering under assumption that this was something new and relatively unexplored.

My apologies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Most, if not all the trails in BB are rideable on a tandem, I know, because I also ride a tandem and live in BB.
    There are some tight corners that an experienced team can get through and sections on Skyline where a tandem won't make it through, but overall, no problem.
    We've ridden our tandem all over So.Cal and never really had any trails that were un-rideable, we've done Holy Jim, the Luge in OC, Fall line, Grout Bay, Trick or Treat in BB...never have done Skyline, due to the fact we have not ridden the bike for over a year, look to be selling it because my wife and son would rather ride singles now.

Beer Please!
    I rode tandem a few times but stopped because my wife refused to pedal.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    We've ridden our tandem all over So.Cal and never really had any trails that were un-rideable, we've done Holy Jim, the Luge in OC, Fall line, Grout Bay, Trick or Treat in BB....
    Oh Boy.

I eat cats
    I saw a bride and groom on a tandem riding up to old camp then down the luge in the Santa Ana's last year. She was in a wedding gown and he was in a tux (February I think so it wasn't hot). I was very impressed! Their wedding party was with them too. Really cool group of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    As others have mentioned, there's plenty of tandemable singletrack in and around Big Bear Lake. Two great choices:

Up Mill Creek Road - Up Plantation Trail - 2N10 eastbound to Grandview Point (Skyline trail between Clarks Summit & Grandview would be difficult on a tandem due to lots of tight turns and squeezes.) Hop on the Skyline Trail at Grandview Point and ride it eastbound out to Sugarloaf/Radford Road (you could continue another two miles east out toward Moonridge, but that part of Skyline would be a little more challenging on a tandem, particularly on the return route.) My recommendation would be to turn around at Sugarloaf/Radford Road and ride Skyline back to Grandview Point. Finish off by taking Pine Knot Trail back down to Mill Creek Road.

On the north side of the lake near Fawnskin, park at the Grays Peak trailhead and ride the Grout Bay/Hanna Flat trails out to Hanna Flat Campground and back. The initial climb out of the trailhead parking area is steep and has a couple of spots that will be difficult on a tandem, but the rest of the route is perfect. The out-and-back route is only 10 miles total. Great fun, though. You could tack on the out-and-back to Grays Peak, which adds four miles and about 700 feet of climbing to the ride - the climb up would be difficult on a tandem, though.

Have a good time!

mtbr member
    I saw a tandem couple clean the wall just before Shepherd's Flat out at Cheseboro. That was insane.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Endurbro, was that you driving the yellow Scion with the white tandem on the back? I had to go down the hill today and that's what I saw, you don't see too many tandems these days.

Old School Legs
    Tandems rock. You can ride several trails, and not just fireroads in BB. You will be on fireroads though to get to those trails. JimN describes a great ride. We haven't been there in over a year, but there's plenty downhill to go with the ample climbing.
    I'm eating Lean Cuisine for lunch, so I can have beer for dinner

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Endurbro, was that you driving the yellow Scion with the white tandem on the back? I had to go down the hill today and that's what I saw, you don't see too many tandems these days.
    Lol.....No Jeff that was Me took the Fandango out for the first time

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Big Bear singletrack suitable for a tandem?-img_1713.jpgI spent a day riding around the Village and Towne Trail and the lower loops with my Girls.
    My Daughter just started riding MTB and I was looking for easy trails.
    We also just got the Fandango the week before so I was still playing with the fork settings and all...