mtbr member

Big Bear season totals?

I know its a bit premature but I am wondering how the new BB bike park did this season in terms of revenue? I am sure someone out there has some numbers or at least a close guesstimate!? Several hundred people a week had to be pretty good for the resort, surrounding businesses and the community as a whole during their "off season"! I did not go as often as I would like but I am glad I was able to make it up there the few times I did to help support the cause!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Good question. Hopefully good enought to open back up again next year. Camping at Pineknot and hitting the park 1/4 mile away was nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    From what I hear, enough to not only hire more people but throw racks on the back of the chair lifts. At times, lines were far too long due to the one bike at a time. They also started building larger features, even though its the end of the season. I hope for next year they add another trail, to go along side mirical mile and cruiser. Yet again if not, it won't stop me from buying a season pass.

Professional Troll
    Have they put racks on the lifts yet? Or are they still doing the 1 bike bullsh*t?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Have they put racks on the lifts yet? Or are they still doing the 1 bike bullsh*t?
    Fingers crossed for next year...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm hearing very good things about how the season went and the plans for next and into the future. Word is, several new trails for next season, features at the base area and updated racks on the lifts. Bear Mountain is supposedly getting some trails also, but I don't think that will happen next year though.
    From what I heard and saw, the Big Bear area as a whole is very happy about the park, what I saw was, it seemed as if a car didn't have a bike on it, it was out of place, couldn't believe how many cars were bringing bikes up the hill.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Outstanding! I am glad to hear SS is finally embracing the mountain bike community again. Too bad it has taken them 15+ years to get back into it. There is a lot of potential revenue to be made, both at the park and the town. Big Bear has always relied on the tourist income. Hopefully this gives them the shot in the arm to go really big.

I love Mammoth but hate the drive. Nice to know there is a second option much, much closer.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Excellent. It was pretty busy every time I was up there, and I only rode on Sundays and Fridays to avoid the Saturday crowd.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The latter...for now I think it is actually better. Serves to meter the number of people on the 3 trails they have. Racks will be good when they have at least 1-2 more trails...imho

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I'm hearing very good things about how the season went and the plans for next and into the future. Word is, several new trails for next season, features at the base area and updated racks on the lifts. Bear Mountain is supposedly getting some trails also, but I don't think that will happen next year though.
    From what I heard and saw, the Big Bear area as a whole is very happy about the park, what I saw was, it seemed as if a car didn't have a bike on it, it was out of place, couldn't believe how many cars were bringing bikes up the hill.
    That would be awesome if bear mountain did get some trails! They gonna run lifts on that side too?

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    Outstanding! I am glad to hear SS is finally embracing the mountain bike community again. Too bad it has taken them 15+ years to get back into it. There is a lot of potential revenue to be made, both at the park and the town. Big Bear has always relied on the tourist income. Hopefully this gives them the shot in the arm to go really big.

I love Mammoth but hate the drive. Nice to know there is a second option much, much closer.
    It was not 15 years, more like 10. I bought my Enduro the Summer of 2002 and rode it up there that season, and I am pretty sure i rode in the summer of 2003 as well.

but yes, I too love that I can make a day trip up there. I was only able to go up once this year, I took a sick day and went on a Tuesday. If not for SS being opened I would not have been able to do any chair lift runs, i had no time for a trip to Mammoth.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    You are correct. It just feels longer.

The Death of MTB'ing at Snow Summit circa 2004-05
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    On Saturday it was still one bike at a time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Bear Mountain will be lift serviced, if and when they do decide to use the mountain. Right now its just a highly reliable rumor, but so was SS opening to bikes, a "rumor" that I started a couple of years ago.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i was up at summit for the opener and it seemed as if they had more business than all of last summer. i got to ride about 8 more days and there was always a great turn out.
    the future looks bright! racks on the lifts next season will allow for getting more runs in each day and allow more people to thoroughly enjoy.

as awesome as the new trails are i just wish they didnt start destroying all the fun off property trails. it was nice to mix things up with runs like fall line, pirates, fern, etc.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Bear Mountain will be lift serviced, if and when they do decide to use the mountain. Right now its just a highly reliable rumor, but so was SS opening to bikes, a "rumor" that I started a couple of years ago.
    Love your rumors! Keep making them

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    i was up at summit for the opener and it seemed as if they had more business than all of last summer. i got to ride about 8 more days and there was always a great turn out.
    the future looks bright! racks on the lifts next season will allow for getting more runs in each day and allow more people to thoroughly enjoy.

as awesome as the new trails are i just wish they didnt start destroying all the fun off property trails. it was nice to mix things up with runs like fall line, pirates, fern, etc.
    I wholeheartedly agree, but if that was the price for the bike park, I will take it! Also, I am suspicious that if the boneheads on Capitol Hill keep up their toddler behavior, the trails may be resurrected, what with the US forest Gestapo not up and running at full steam currently...

mtbr member
    Now that its a done deal, anybody have info on totals?