mtbr member

Big Bear / Running Springs

I'm headin' up that direction for a weekend, and I'm looking for 2 rides - one about 10-15 miles, and one a bit longer. Interested to try out riding down from the SS lift, but not married to the idea. If this was you, what would you ride?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You might want to check out BENSWEATHER.com. First winter storm coming through and it might be quite cold and possibility exists for 2-3 inches of snow.

As such, chairlift might be closed. You can however, ride up the mountain on the town trail or start at Aspen glen picnic area. Stop at Bear Valley bikes and get a map. Lots of great rides.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that. I'll be going up the following weekend, so hopefully things are on the north side of 50 degrees, rather than snowy. But wouldn't that be fun?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am never one to be disheartened by a little snow on the ground.... There are murmurs of a storm the following week as well. However, the fawnskin side of the lake with Grout Bay, grays peak etc always is an excellent option. Have fun! We are going up this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The lifts, I believe, will be closed to bikes this weekend, due to snow making and getting ready for ski season.
    It matters what type of riding that you plan on doing, plenty of xc riding availible, check out Grout Bay trail on the north shore as well as the trails on the Snow Summit side.

I eat cats
    ^Yep.. I was up on the SS lift a couple weeks ago and was told they run until end of October. Not a weather permitting deal. Lots of trails up there if you google around a bit. I heard someone say Holcomb Valley is nice but haven't looked into it so not sure what that's all about.

Edit - I checked their site and it looks like the dude that worked there and told me that may have been wrong because the sky chair ran this last weekend.. Call them up!
    Last edited by Gordon Shumway; 11-07-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: More info
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    It was definitely running last weekend. I was up there. Not running this weekend makes sense with a bit of a cold snap on the way. I'll give them a call. Thanks everyone.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's a route in Bear that I've done a few times that hits some nice singletrack, it's about 19 miles and 3000 feet of climbing (could easily be shortened up).

If you are familiar with the area it goes like this (PM me for the GPS link):

Up 2N10 from Bear Mtn Resort, up Pirates, across Speedo, down 2N51Y, down Dickies, 2N08 over to 1E01 up to Grandview Pt, all the way down 1E01, up Cabin 89, up 1E01, back across 5 bitc#es, and down Pirates/2N10 singletrack

If you want to do some exploring pick up a copy of Follet's Local Trail Map at Bear Valley Bikes or 7/11. If you want a shorter ride check out Gray's Peak or just do the 1E01/Cabin89 sections of the trail above.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Bear / Running Springs-2012-09-11-13-11-52_big-bear-group-trailride-byat-garmin-connect-player.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The lifts will be closed to bikes starting this weekend, however plenty of xc riding, both on the north and south sides of the lake. The weather is a little cooler today with some rain, turning to snow tonight and tommorrow.