Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Big Bear riding....

Looking to venture out into new territory and want to get up to Big Bear and try some trails out. I'm from the high desert and have hit most of the local stuff around here and Marshall Canyon. I'm intermediate rider and looking for a fun challenge!
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Going to be heading up there this coming Sunday.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Are you looking for XC or all mountain, DH? Lots of trails for all disiplines. Try Snow Summit Adventure Park for list assited riding, for XC trails, lots of trails on the Snow Summit side including the newly built Skyline trail and others, on the Fawnskin side there are some fire roads and also the Grout Bay/ Grays Peak trail which is over 7 miles of nice single track. Pick up "Follets trail map of Big Bear" all of the trails are represented, except the Skyline trail which is a new trail

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Looking for trail riding...not much of dh guy! Desert trails are fun but I need new scenery and challenges. I hear SART is a great trail but not exactly sure where it's at. Going to google what I can find and go from there. Thanks for the input
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member

Big Bear riding....

A common starting place for the SART is at the Angelus Oaks post office. SART is amazing... The Hannah Flats/Grout Bay/Grey's Peak trail is great, too.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

official eMpTyBRain
    If you want a fun trail with some tech built into it (but not extreme), ride Exploration Trail in the Deerlick area on Hwy 330. You can shuttle to the top on pavement or just grind your way up. If you're feeling up to the challenge, pedal up the trail.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Hi gaiz, I'm new here and had a few questions about BB.

I've got a 29er - XC/Trail bike w/ 130mm, figure I'll put it to some use while I go up this weekend for a friend's bday getaway.

Haven't done any DH/FR riding on it, but wondering if there's something I should know before I head up. I usually don't wear much body armor riding, since I do more climbs and distance riding, but I was going to order some if not rent some for the trip.

Any suggestions if it's not a good idea? I've seen videos of guys doing DH/FR on a XC bike, but I don't think there are many areas in BB where a DH bike is absolutely necessary, is there? Not going to blow out my suspension am I?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    This is the roughest trail in the bike park. There are some out of bounds trails that are more extreme.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the video reply! I think I'll do fine this weekend and gonna have a blast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've got video of the other two trails as well. They are a little smoother and faster.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    are there only three ways down from the lift? if that's the toughest option, how does it rate against the stuff at mammoth? this seems more tame but not as well kept

i'll be there this weekend btw...

Professional Troll
    Well, mammoth has a much wider range of terrain. I would say miracle mile and cruiser are similar to a flatter, easier version of follow me for the most part.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Agree on the follow me comparison...maybe a lil bit of lower velocity style with miracle mile as well?

mtbr member
    How busy is it in Big Bear or Snow Summit for riding on Sundays?
    Will Climb for Downhill

2013 Giant Trance X1 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    When we went opening day there was about 300 riders. If you aren't doing the DH like miracle mile, you should be fine. Skyline has some amazing views and some fun terrain for xcrountry riding. Can't wait to go back!

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMTB29 View Post
    How busy is it in Big Bear or Snow Summit for riding on Sundays?
    Sundays are vacant. It appears that in general the weekends are less busy than they were at the beginning of the season. The only time there are ever more than 30 second lift lines are 11am-1:30pm on Saturdays.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    maybe a lil bit of lower velocity style with miracle mile as well?
    Nah, even lower velocity (I assume you're talking about all velocity below mccoy station?) is significantly rougher, faster, and steeper I think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Nah, even lower velocity (I assume you're talking about all velocity below mccoy station?) is significantly rougher, faster, and steeper I think.
    Ok, it's coming back to me now...you're right! Looser and more lil drops n stuff on lower velocity...although recently some of the switchbacks on Miracle have gone pretty rogue, but they will probably be fixing those...

mtbr member
    Well I went up this weekend and rode Friday all-day and Sunday afternoon. Never done downhill like this before, so I gotta say it was blast, but would've liked a few more trails open. I was told some of the trails might be closed, I got lost a few times too since the map didn't match what was open I guess.

Anyhow, I rode my 29er and did just fine. It really helped crawl over holes, roots and rocks at fast speeds, didn't feel out of place either. It was a bit tough getting around some turns, but maybe that's just my lack of experience, so I took them a bit slower.

I'll be up again soon, that's for sure! Seems like the trails have changed since a few weeks ago based on youtube videos. I'm stoked to see what else they add or open later this season.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Anybody know when they might close for the season, plan to be down that way early Sept.

mtbr member

Big Bear riding....

Heading up tomorrow. Anyone else?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Was hoping to go up this weekend but Pineknot campground is booked all month.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    that turn at 4:38 kicked my butt. the entry was all wonky and i never got up enough nerve to hit it with enough speed to carry it so i just dismounted each time.

Quote Originally Posted by lanceuppercut View Post
    This is the roughest trail in the bike park. There are some out of bounds trails that are more extreme.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You cannot even begin to compare mammoth and big bear. Miracle mile would be a difficult blue trail at mammoth (nevermind black or double black).

There are 2 trails in the santa Monica mountains that are harder than miracle mile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
    that turn at 4:38 kicked my butt. the entry was all wonky and i never got up enough nerve to hit it with enough speed to carry it so i just dismounted each time.
    Last time I was up there it rained and the wood was wet. That thing is horribly dangerous when it is wet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast