pewpewpew Moderator

Big bear question

anyone know if the trails near fawnskin/grey's peak/etc are still closed from last years fires?

anyone have any "must do" xc trails up that area, aside from the snow summit area?

thankee!
    Love, Impy

i can't type the letter s
    The parking lot is still closed at Grey's Peak but there is a local BB rider on SocalTR by the name of wildeez (paul) who says the trail is open. He was riding there over the 4th when I was in BB. Give him a PM on STR to get the scoop. He just posted on the "Introduction, Welcome" thread over there.

tom

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The Polique/Cougar Crest Loop is only about 5 miles, but a nice climb and fun descent. You pick up the trail (Polique Canyon) right across the street from the back side of the Serrano CG.

You can also climb Polique and take it across just below the ridge over to the Hannah Flat area if that stuff is open and link that up with Grey's Peak.

mtbr member
    Was anyone able to confirm Greys Peak?

Whats a good tire for BB powder?

Thanks, scott

Over the Hill
    Drove by the Grey's Peak Trailhead at Grout Bay last Saturday...gate shut, big Area Closed sign. I asked the volunteers at Big Bear Discovery Center what is open on the north side of the lake. Half of the Yellow Post Campsites around East Holmcomb Valley are open nothing near Hanna Flats. Cougars Crest Trail is open.

Last Friday we did a short out and back on Siberia Creek Trail to Gunsight and then some exploring around Bluff Lake/Champion Lodgepole Tree. Saturday lift up then did Grandview out and back, Stonehenge, Plantation and Pineknot. I enjoyed them a bunch.

Pics are on Siberia Creek Trail and Bluff Lake.

Dean
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks. Looks like we're gonna hit the SART on the way up friday instead of BB XC.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    I enjoyed them a bunch.

Pics are on Siberia Creek Trail and Bluff Lake.

Dean
    La Bruja action pics! Thanks man! That bike looks killer - did you do a spec on it on the V board?

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    La Bruja action pics! Thanks man! That bike looks killer - did you do a spec on it on the V board?

Not me riding, that is Dell....

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    Can someone recommend a good trail map for Big Bear area?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    All of the trails in BB are open, even those in the burn area, such as Grout Bay and Grey's Peak. Although the area looks a lot different because of the burnt trees and schrubs, the trails are in very good shape.
    Franks maps have a map for BB which is pretty good and shows most of the local trails. Derek at Bear Valley Bikes is also a good source of info about the trails

mtbr member
    yeah, buy a Franks map at Bear Valley bikes. $5 and well worth it. Has some SART on it too.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff
    All of the trails in BB are open, even those in the burn area, such as Grout Bay and Grey's Peak. Although the area looks a lot different because of the burnt trees and schrubs, the trails are in very good shape.
    Franks maps have a map for BB which is pretty good and shows most of the local trails. Derek at Bear Valley Bikes is also a good source of info about the trails
    Glad to hear the Fawnskin area trails are open and in decent shape.

I found the Frank's or Franco's (whatever they're called) maps to be.... (IMHO) only semi-accurate. There are some other maps available at the bike shops in the area (including Bear Vallay Bikes) that are mostly white in color and come in a protective plastic sleeve that we found to be more precise (not perfect, but better than anything else we found). They have one available for the Fawnskin area trails and another for the south side of the lake.

We're heading up for 10 days starting on the 27th. Anyone else going to be up there for some riding?