Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Glad to Be Alive

Big Bear...Out of bounds trails closed

the forestry dept came in and did a complete closeure top to bottom of all your favorite trail...so good with a few rain storms you may never know they exsisted...never seen anybody do the job they did....anyway just a heads up so you don't go looking and have to pedal back.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Man.. That's a shame.

Professional Troll
    Are we talking...all? Like roughly 5 or 6 depending how you count them?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Are they posted closed or did they somehow cover them up?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    Are they posted closed or did they somehow cover them up?
    ..we are talking all....and no signs....so you pedal over to them and then will have to pedal back .....and I do mean top to bottom complete
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Professional Troll
    Hmmm, not really worth going up there anymore then. That's too bad.

Your tax dollars at work!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    apparently not all: plantation, wet dream aka forest dream, trick or treat are still legal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sounds like some really worthwhile work they are doing up there. I wonder when the Walmart will go in?
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

official eMpTyBRain
    Please provide a link. I cannot find any mention of this online. Thanks!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

dft
    mtbr member
    i also directly heard it from a good friend that went.
    weak, that was a big part of the place. the place drops many notches in my book. mammoth back to 10x greater than big bear again

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I was thinking about going tomorrow and haven't ridin summit yet is it worth it now or not

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrive81 View Post
    I was thinking about going tomorrow and haven't ridin summit yet is it worth it now or not
    Well 95% of the people riding up there probably never touched the out of bounds trails. It's definitely worth going at least once to ride the legal trails. They are pretty fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well it will be my first time anyone want to roll with me or meet me up there

Beer Please!
    Back in the day I rode many of the out of bounds trails, but since Summit start building trails I spent my day on Westridge. While I do not like that they closed them, I don't think it is going to ruin the down hill experience up there.

Now, you said they are closed from top to bottom, but there are no signs.... so how are they closed?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    They did extensive naturizing of the trails, so much that you wouldn't even know they were there if you did not have previous knowledge...closed by virtue of no longer existing. If the USFS put a fraction of the effort they must have spent doing this into maintaining trails and following better fire prevention methods, we would be a TON better off. Seems like they need our tax dollars AND money from questionably legal forest adventure passes to subsidize all the policing they have to do to make sure everyone has forest adventure passes...and of course to protect everyone from the scourge of us!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That said, still totally worth it for the 3 on property trails we have now....maybe not for someone of Gemini's level unless he wants a mellow day! This plus the ridiculous 10 mile a yr limit the USFS slapped on Summit really sucks...Summit is still doing a really good job with their hands tied a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    They did in fact close most of the illegal trails. The trails that were closed were poorly made and caused tons of erosion. I'm not so against illegal trails, that's how alot of the trails up here were made, I'm just against poorly made and designed trails. Anything that goes straight down the fall line is poorly designed, that's one reason they were shut down.

Professional Troll
    Yeah, I'm not sure there's much they can do to "close" some of the those trails. As you said they just went straight down the hill. Unless they added lots of unrideable obstacles or something. Those can always be moved or cut away though....

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure there's much they can do to "close" some of the those trails. As you said they just went straight down the hill. Unless they added lots of unrideable obstacles or something. Those can always be moved or cut away though....
    honestly....it would take 10 guys a full week to clean out one trail to ride.....but then you would need something to to move 30 to 50 foot trees that are 3 feet wide....they chopped trees down to block trails....honestly these trails are done...they did the most thorough job I have ever seen

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    honestly....it would take 10 guys a full week to clean out one trail to ride.....but then you would need something to to move 30 to 50 foot trees that are 3 feet wide....they chopped trees down to block trails....honestly these trails are done...they did the most thorough job I have ever seen
    Cutting down trees to save the forest eh?

Seems legit.........

Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Cutting down trees to save the forest eh?

Seems legit.........

Beautiful irony, isn't it?

Yeah, these trails ain't coming back. I have never seen such thorough decommissioning...

mtbr member

Big Bear...Out of bounds trails closed

Forests are thinned on a large scale in the name of forest health all the time. Part of the issue with the Rim fire is that some areas are overgrown because of a 100 year old policy that every fire be extinguished as quickly as possible.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Gosh this pisses me off, I was looking forward to riding these new trails this month when it cools down some.

This is why so many trails in the san bernadino mtns are all local built secret trails, because big brother always comes in and shuts them down.

I live in lake arrowhead and what the forestry wants us to do with our property is ridiculous. We have to clear out trees less than 5 inches in diameter if they are within 8 ft of another tree. They claim this will help prevent forest fires and will leave more water for the older growth trees. This is all complete bull and I'll tell you why.

1. The more the sun hits the ground, the more weeds can grow because weeds need a lot of sun to grow and multiply. What does this do? It creates a worse off fire condition because the weeds die and dry up making it easier to catch fire.

Another thing is that the more the sun can heat the ground, the faster the ground dries up, so by cutting down all the small trees, you're not benefiting the larger ones because the younger trees help shade the ground even further. Keeping it more moist into the late spring.

2. When you cut the younger growth, you are destroying the future of the forest, no younger trees, no trees that will take the place of older growth when those trees die.

3. Every dam fire is started on the southern facing slopes, the sunny side where all the low growing brush and weeds grow. The fire will build intensity and if the fire can burn down 100ft plus trees filled with water and sap, those little trees won't mean crap.

4. Oh, and this was all subsidized by your tax dollars.

I never did it, I would have had to cut out around 20 trees. When the guy showed up on my property to survey, I told him to get the F off my property and to take me to court. He never came back.

The government is nothing more than a bunch of idiots exercising their power, nothing more.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Forests are thinned on a large scale in the name of forest health all the time. Part of the issue with the Rim fire is that some areas are overgrown because of a 100 year old policy that every fire be extinguished as quickly as possible.
    in the 1840 book by Richard Henry Dana (Dana Point) "Two Years Before the Mast" ....One thing I found interesting was Richard saying California was always on fire when he took the ship up and down the coast....lightening strikes and what not but always burning...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post

Yeah, these trails ain't coming back. I have never seen such thorough decommissioning...
    tru dat

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast