mtbr member
    May 2006

Big Bear or other option

Hello. Im going to take my kids to disney the first week of august and Im planning to take one day off for me. I'm considering driving to bigbear for a day, does it worth it? is there a place to rent a decent fs bike? I know you can ride the chairlift up, but how is the way down, is there a bikepark or at least some jumps.
    please feel free to recomend me any other place but I need to rent a bike. thanks.

bernardo

Glad to Be Alive
    can't ride big bikes at Big bear.....mostly xc bikes now (might be changing though so call)

best bet is to enjoy beaches with family unless you want to drive 4 hours to Mammoth
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    They've let us bring 7in. (singlecrown) w/ bashguard bikes on the lift. There's still great fun to be had there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You can rent bikes a number of places in Big Bear. They have rules on taking the chairlift up with the main one being no more than 6" of travel, but they don't seem to be too strict with that. There are no open trails down Snow Summit however. There are some pretty fun ways down still (outside the Snow Summit property). If you're just looking for straight downhilling it's probably not what you want, but for some pretty good lift assisted riding it's the spot to go.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just got back from last weekend. Saw many bikes with bashguards ands 6+ travel. The trails are not marked for difficulty. I found myself hiking down some of them because I am lame, chicken with my supercaliber. Lots of sand like dirt over rocks. I mean LOTS on some of the trails. If you don;t mind a longer ride, take the life up. go west on the main fire road until you get to plantation way. good stuff. Also take a left (east) on the main road from the lift and you will eventually start going down a hill. before the fire road takes a 180 turn you should see a little step-up that has lots of tire tracks. Very good trail. It cross a fire road about halfway. Ignore the fireroad (at least East of the trail) and continue down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Why Can't We Delete Our Own Posts?
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

----------------
    Aug 2006
    You're going to spend a week at Disneyland????.......... You definitely need a bike day!!!
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."