Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Big Bear old trails(outside Snow Summit property), are they still open to ride?

Just like the title says, the old trails like Fall Line, are they still open or accessible? Thanks!

mtbr member

I got word they are closed. Keep in mind it was just a "rumor" but I've heard it from a couple people now. I know skyline is still open but fall line and stuff like that may have been taken away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm not sure about Fall line, no one up here really rides it anymore. Trails like Skyline, Trick or Treat, Powerline, Pineknot(1e01), Dickies, Plantation, Cabin 89 and Fern are trails which are more commonly used on the Snow Summit side of the mountain. Skyline, which is the newest trail up here, is ever expanding, using what used to be called Wet Dream( now called Forest Dream) Secret Trail, and Cedar lake trail are going to be part of the Skyline trail as well as Plumbers and Fern trail on the east end. There is plenty of trails to ride up here as well as the Snow Summit bike park.
    On the north side of the lake, Grout Bay and Grays peak are awesome trails as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Are they expanding skyline to the east or west? That trail is too tight for much speed but does offer some breathtaking views.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Skyline will add 6 miles by the end of the summer, as listed on signs from the Trails foundation. There is already some rough cut on the west end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sounds like the BB trails are really coming along! I might have to schedule a long weekend up that way this summer. As I recall it doesn't get too hot up that way. A good summer getaway.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Beer Please!
    Is there an online interactive map of any sort showing the current trails and the proposed build outs?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by aperral View Post
    Just like the title says, the old trails like Fall Line, are they still open or accessible? Thanks!
    xc trails are open...if you are looking for the more advanced DH trails...forget it...They are all closed. The best job of closing trails I have ever seen from top to bottom. I have never seen 2 to 3 foot of debris and it goes the whole length of the trail. No chance of bringing the trails back unless you have 20 guys and a bobcat to remove the heavier stumps and rocks
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Last time I checked they were closed. I could not get to fall line and Cables, and all the trails on the other side of the mountain were closed as well, kind of sucks because those were really fun trails and have been around forever, but I guess Summits got to try and keep it safe.

It ain't easy being Green
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Is there an online interactive map of any sort showing the current trails and the proposed build outs?
    Mountain Bike Trails near Big Bear and San Bernadino National Forest, California

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Fall line and Cables are closed because they are set to be re-routed to make them more sustainable, Plumbers trail is finished and is really cool, although since we have had no rain yet, its pretty loose and powdery, also the Skyline trail at the western end has been extended by a mile or so. Looks like we may get some rain this weekend which will help the trails.
    The DH trails were closed because they were illegally and poorly made. Also, some illegal, but more sustainable trails were taken out of the official trail network, but are still there, to make room for the newer, legal trails. All is good up here in the way of existing, new and re-routed trails and there is a lot more to come.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    F to make room for the newer, legal trails. All is good up here in the way of existing, new and re-routed trails and there is a lot more to come.
    It's been over a year since the resort built any new "DH" trails. And they still don't have a legitimate, challenging downhill trail. From what I hear there aren't any plans to build any in the near future on the resort. Personally I liked big bear before the park reopened, and I could ride all the "unsustainable" trails that had been there for over a decade. I could be dead wrong, but I've completely lost faith in snow summit management.

Or are there non-SS organizations that are building new DH trails? That could be cool then. Although "sustainable" is usually code for "flat", so I'm skeptical. But I've been wrong plenty of times before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nope, there are no plans for any "off the mountain, full blown DH trails". Unfortunately, the soil and terrain are not conducive for really steep trails like the one's they have closed, those things were a horrible mess after a storm because no one maintained them. I think we made the right choice to close them to get more multi-use trails, so if you want the trails to be like they were, its not going to happen anytime soon, although in Snow Summits master plan does call for more trails of varying degrees.
    As far as sustainable trails being flat, they are not flat, but usually any section thats greater than a 10% grade is considered unacceptable.

Maybe a different area could build more DH specific trails, I don't know why other ski resorts in So. Cal have not jumped in.

mtbr member

The "new" Pineknot trail is super fun.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

So I've been hearing. What's new about it? Rode it last year and it was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    So I've been hearing. What's new about it? Rode it last year and it was nice.
    The bottom section has been completely re-routed to avoid the creek; there's a quarter mile uphill section, a steep sucker, just when you think it's all over. It's an outstanding trail in either direction; personally I prefer to climb it because of the tourist traffic; unless you're riding off-hours the trail gets pretty crowded and downhill just isn't much fun if you constantly have to worry about a loose dog around the next blind corner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

That's the problem I had last year. I slowed and went to the side of the trail but this dog kept jumping in front of me and I about ran it over. Wasn't there already a loose steep climb on the lower section of the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    That's the problem I had last year. I slowed and went to the side of the trail but this dog kept jumping in front of me and I about ran it over. Wasn't there already a loose steep climb on the lower section of the trail?
    If you don't recall splashing through a creek then you rode the re-route last year; it's been about that long since it was done.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    xc trails are open...if you are looking for the more advanced DH trails...forget it...They are all closed. The best job of closing trails I have ever seen from top to bottom. I have never seen 2 to 3 foot of debris and it goes the whole length of the trail. No chance of bringing the trails back unless you have 20 guys and a bobcat to remove the heavier stumps and rocks
    Yeah so instead of having a few downhill dudes out having fun we now have a top to bottom debris field. Makes sense to me. Freaking morons!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member

I rode Pineknot on a Thursday and came across two hikers and two bikers, all going up. Great flow, and well-marked/maintained.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Here are some photos of the trail building we did today on the latest extension of the Skyline trail. This section is where Forest Dream crosses 2n10 and ends at Secret Trail. We had some nice thunderstorms today and most likely for the next couple of days, this will help pack down the new trail(s)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Bear old trails(outside Snow Summit property), are they still open to ride?-img_0731.jpg  

Big Bear old trails(outside Snow Summit property), are they still open to ride?-img_0732.jpg  

Big Bear old trails(outside Snow Summit property), are they still open to ride?-img_0733.jpg  

Big Bear old trails(outside Snow Summit property), are they still open to ride?-img_0734.jpg  

Big Bear old trails(outside Snow Summit property), are they still open to ride?-img_0737.jpg  

Big Bear old trails(outside Snow Summit property), are they still open to ride?-img_0738.jpg  

Big Bear old trails(outside Snow Summit property), are they still open to ride?-img_0739.jpg  

Big Bear old trails(outside Snow Summit property), are they still open to ride?-img_0740.jpg  

Big Bear old trails(outside Snow Summit property), are they still open to ride?-img_0741.jpg  

Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 07-06-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Here are some photos of the trail building we did today on the latest extension of the Skyline trail. This section is where Forest Dream crosses 2n10 and ends at Secret Trail. We had some nice thunderstorms today and most likely for the next couple of days, this help pack down the new trail(s)
    Nice work!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker View Post
    Nice work!
    +1!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nope, there are no plans for any "off the mountain, full blown DH trails". Unfortunately, the soil and terrain are not conducive for really steep trails like the one's they have closed, those things were a horrible mess after a storm because no one maintained them.
    I'm an intermediate rider and for the most part I think all the recent trail work and 'new' lift served trails are great. However, every now and then it's fun to ride steeper, loose, sketchy (IMO) stuff as well. So, I agree with the sentiment of Gemini2k05's post. 'Sustainable trails' is merely a euphamism for the types of trails which are accepted by land managers and rideable by most. Those that enjoy the challenge of the types of trails that were shut down don't care if the trails are a 'horrible mess'. The natural, unpredictable state of such trails holds their lure. Water combined with the fall line nature of said trails does a pretty good job of maintenance in that context.

I understand the 'politics' behind trails management, however, I don't agree that the current trend towards making ALL trails 'sustainable' is the correct thing for the sport or my own personal enjoyment. Last time I rode the old trails, 'moondust' made it nearly impossible to ride close behind my riding buddies. Hanging back wasn't any better as it hid all the rocks so one was riding by braille. Giggled when a family of hikers yelled out to warn us of the upcoming log roll/jump like they were saving us from certain catastrophy... Good stuff!

As far as sustainable trails being flat, they are not flat, but usually any section thats greater than a 10% grade is considered unacceptable.
    Flat is rather subjective. As to the 10% grade being unacceptable, the designation of acceptable is based on a set of characteristics of what defines a particular type of trail (i.e. XC flow trail with some 'safe' jumps) which has been given the name 'sustainable'. Suddenly a trail that doesn't have those charcteristics is 'unsustainable' and therefore not tenable?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ajdonner and Gemini2k05 should come up here, do trail building and maintenance on your own free time( instead of riding or spending time with the family, etc.) so those trails can be ridden/ hiked by a bunch of people you don't even know, can use them, but we're happy to build those trails.
    After you guys volunteer all those hours of meetings and hard labor, then you may spike interest in someone who cares about your plight of unsustainable trails.
    If you guys are so upset, do the building and maintenance if your home towns and maybe a bunch of people that you guys don't know will come to your trails and beat the crap out of them, and leave the mess for you guys to clean up.
    Why does those trails you want have to be up here?
    The trails that were closed were just a skid marks down the side of a hill and no more.
    BB soil and how dry the conditions are most of the year, those don't work, sorry!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast