Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    It ain't easy being Green
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Fall line is a mess, again a trail that is super hard to maintain and a big erosion problem. If any trails outside are to be built or maintained, they're going to be multi- use trails, sorry.
    Understood, but why take out the chunky sections just to make it easy for noobs to ride uphill? Both upper and lower Fall Line have interesting rock gardens that make an XC weenie like me pucker up and pay attention going downhill; the trail would lose much of its character if they were gone. The only obstacle on that trail that can't be ridden uphill with a bit of effort is the rocky notch near the bottom of "lower" and I'm sure that there are many riders better than me who can clean that.

Just a couple weeks ago upper Fall Line was included in the Kenda Cup XC course; couple hundred guys rode it that day and it doesn't seem to be any worse for it today.

Just sayin'

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    HJ, am not at all trying to call you out or dis BB...I love that place! I just feel like too much dumbing down of older school (formerly classified as XC) trails which were really fun and there for many, many years without evidence of severe erosion problems or unsustainability (at least to my untrained eye). It seems like all of the trails going in are very broad spectrum multiuser trails, which is great. It would be awesome if some of the older advanced XC type trails could be adopted into the system (or just a couple other advanced XC/AM trails, not flow or park trails, could be added in to balance the scoresheet a little). As is, it feels like everything is getting sanitized to low intermediate level, which is already what Skyline is....

To top it off, the promised older school tech trails at snow summit seem to not even be on the horizon at this point. This is what I mean by bait and switch.

Again, nothing but respect for what you personally are doing up there...I know you are one of the good guys....much thanks for everything you do!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Additionally, there are multiple other places in the US that are adopting the multiuser IMBA formula but offering an array of beginner to advanced options, so all groups can be better served. An alternative approach is the Sandy Ridge system, actually on federal land, with most trails being rideable (except follow the leader) by anyone with early intermediate skills and up, but incorporating enough features like grade reversals, tables, rock gardens, and even natural looking jump and rock drop options. Then again , this is socal....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    sirsam84, I'm not taking it personally and I agree with you on most points. I'm not sure if they are going to keep the old Fall Line intact and just a new trail, maybe they should. The trails up here are being built for multi use and probably wouldn't be built without in mind, so they have to adhere to a trail building philosophy of making trails that work for every group of user, sounds boring, but it's the only way to have new trails.
    Snow Summit is doing the best they can to get new trails and if they had carte blanche, they would have tons of trails for every level. The newest trail they are waiting to build is a green beginner trail on the west side and are doing that as to accommodate families who come up and ride. I wish we could have it all, but what we have and what's coming is way better than what most of the state, if not the country is getting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yeah, SS is NOT doing "the best they can do" - they are doing "the cheapest they can do". This FS thing is just trying to pass the blame. Reality is, they don't want to invest any more than absolutely necessary to show that the summer season is lucrative before selling it.

From an investment standpoint, why would they?

Doesn't mean we have to be satisfied with crap trails. If enough people spend their money elsewhere instead, they'll get the idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wrong! While SS probably could do a little better, the truth is, the FS is holding up progress on trail building on the mountain( Snow Summit property). The FS has been really active in building trails outside of SS, so I give them credit for that, but wish they would let SS build at least some of trails they would like to build, although a green beginner trail is in the works, but it's just taking way too long to get that started, but by no fault of SS.
    I don't know why people keep flaming SS, they are the only lift served resort in So.Cal, why other haven't jumped in, I don't know, maybe they fear the same regulations that SS has to put up with. Like I said before, you don't have to ride up here or at SS, there are other choices as long as you don't need a lift to the top.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    BS. There is no holdup from the FS. The holdup is SS being cheap and milking their success from last year.

official eMpTyBRain
    Just got back from BB. I'm not a shuttler but we did ride the lifts up to the top for the views.

Here's current conditions for those of you headed up there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Bear old trails(outside Snow Summit property), are they still open to ride?-dscn3284.jpg  

...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    yeah..ok
    The FS must be collaborating their story with you, because not only did I hear it from the people I know at SS, I also heard it from the people I know at the FS, damn, I guess I'm getting wrong info from both parties, instead of the seemly correct info you(GH38) got off the street, please let me know where you get your info from, so I can report correctly next time, thanks

mtbr member

Big Bear old trails(outside Snow Summit property), are they still open to ride?

Don't sweat the fools HJ. It's pretty clear you're the one with the inside track, 'round these parts.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    krugu, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    yeah..ok
    The FS must be collaborating their story with you, because not only did I hear it from the people I know at SS, I also heard it from the people I know at the FS, damn, I guess I'm getting wrong info from both parties, instead of the seemly correct info you(GH38) got off the street, please let me know where you get your info from, so I can report correctly next time, thanks
    The trail builders/designers...the people SS doesn't want to pay any more than they have to. Not exactly the "street".

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    yeah..ok
    I'm with HJ on this one...fits the MO of the FS in so many other instances. Occam's razor and all....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3