Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: big bear

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

big bear

Are lifts still going?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    According to the website the lifts are open on weekends only. I'm going up there next week. Anyone got any ride recommendations that don't use the lifts? I usually take the lift to 2N10 and go down 1E01. I bought the map last time I was up there. Are any of the rides on the other side of the lake good?

b a n n e d
    So I've never been to Big Bear . . . I'd like to try it someday. Is a BlurLT a capable bike or do I need a DH spec. bike?

Beer Please!
    You can run the trails on a full rigid if you want. Trails like Pirates are best on a hard tail or full suspension, a full on DH rig is in no way needed.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    ill be there this sunday

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7
    So I've never been to Big Bear . . . I'd like to try it someday. Is a BlurLT a capable bike or do I need a DH spec. bike?
    Your bike is perfect for Big bear 007! I ride a 4" FS bike up there. My absolute favorite roadtrip trail ride is up there, Gray's Peak via Hanna Flats Campground. Its got miles of rolling, twisting, turning ST and then a fairly steep climb up to Gray's peak overlook. This is a must do ride IMO. The Snow Summit side of the lake has lots of stuff, too but it's steeper.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

you said.. Member
    Pirates is excellent, so is Fallline. Be sure to check out 2N10 as well. Fun ride, even with the road ride back at the end.

DH bike is not needed (anymore with Summit and West Ridge closed), Blur LT is plenty, I ride an all mtn hardtail there, mostly.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I used to live in BB and still go there often (hoping to also move back up there sooner than later) In regards to the riding on the north side of the lake, I used to mostly ride on the northside. There are mostly fireroads, but also alot of singletrack if you know where to look. The Grout Bay/ Grays Peak trail is a great trail, lots of fun. I used to also ride the " Perfect Cycling Trail" quite a bit, but I cant give specifics on that trail.

There are plans to build several legal trails near 2N10, west of Snow Summit and some trails have already popped up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just got back from riding there all weekend. Trails are in perfect condition. There is a network of single tracks off of the 2 N 10. You can climb up Cabin 89 to the second half of 1EO1 and end up at Grandview. From there head to the right and you can do Trick or Treat, Wet Dream etc. Lots of fun. Stop at Bear Valley Bikes to get additional directions. The chairlift is operational on the weekends until it snows.

b a n n e d
    I dunno why, but for some reason I was imagining something like Whistler or Mammoth with chairlifts up and DH runs back down . . .

Sounds like its on my to-do list for the spring. Unlikely I'll make it this year as I'm sure the snow is coming SOON for them up that way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Its too bad thats its not like Mammoth or Whistler. I know SS is vertically challenged to those resorts, but the rider base is second to none. I hope someday they can figure this out and open the whole mountain again to riding, add a base area with a bmx track, zip lines, climbing walls, etc, make it a destination for everone.
    The mountain itself is closed because of a crash in a DH race back in 2004 where a rider was paralyzed and sued SS for $25million, although the rider lost the case, the shareholders decided that since SS makes more money in one day during the winter holiday ski season than all season of the biking, that the risk outweighed the benefit.
    I believe the owner/ major shareholder Dick Kun is set to retire soon, maybe that will bring in new blood to get SS where it should be.

mtbr member
    yea i was just there for my first time on saturday, i gotta say it was amazing. best time ive ever had on a bike.

mtbr member
    They don't allow DH specific bikes

Any one of the following four factors will disqualify a bike from being transported on the chair:

1. Bikes must be less than 35 pounds.
    2. Designated tire size must be less than 2.5.
    3. Front shock must have less than 6.5 inches of travel.
    4. Bikes must have at least two chain rings unless they are single speed.
    "walking on water is only knowing where the stones are"

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Big Bear

I'll second the Hannah flats and grays peak trail, loads of fun.
    Also, if you're there on a weekday, The Cougar crest trail is AWESOME. Ride up the road and down the trail. You can extend the trip with a loop through Holcomb Valley. You'll probably want a FS for this ride.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by kfox527
    I'll second the Hannah flats and grays peak trail, loads of fun.
    Also, if you're there on a weekday, The Cougar crest trail is AWESOME. Ride up the road and down the trail. You can extend the trip with a loop through Holcomb Valley. You'll probably want a FS for this ride.
    I drive by Cougar Crest everytime wondering about it??? I guess I gotta get on that!

Thanks for the advice!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadwiz

Any one of the following four factors will disqualify a bike from being transported on the chair:

thats what i thought but when i was there a guy was ripping it up on a DH santa cruz. idk he looked like a pro rider, probably sponsored and allowed special treatment

mtbr member
    [QUOTE= although the rider lost the case, the shareholders decided that since SS makes more money in one day during the winter holiday ski season than all season of the biking, that the risk outweighed the benefit.
    I believe the owner/ major shareholder Dick Kun is set to retire soon, maybe that will bring in new blood to get SS where it should be.[/QUOTE]

While that was true 7 years ago I wonder if it would be significantly different now.

official eMpTyBRain

Chairs Closed

According to this link, the lifts are now closed and snow making has begun....

http://www.snowsummit.com/ski/

Time to get out the clamp-on bikes skis!!!!

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk
    While that was true 7 years ago I wonder if it would be significantly different now.
    No it's not different now. Same owner, same policy. And I don't blame him.

official eMpTyBRain
    I'm gonna be up there on Saturday to ride Gray's Peak from Hanna Flats, can't wait!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I finally got to ride the lifts at Big Bear in late October......my expectations were somewhat low since my only other experience riding lifts was at Mammoth......I hooked up with some guys who knew all the trails really well....

All I can say it was a blast, we rode some stuff that was super steep and super chunky......I even went OTB one time and that has not happened to me in a long, long, time.....

I even took the clipless pedals but next time I'm gonna take the flats.....I would have had more fun with the platforms.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara

All I can say it was a blast, we rode some stuff that was super steep and super chunky......I even went OTB one time and that has not happened to me in a long, long, time.....
    I may remember the last time you went OTB. A night-ride at Sycamore, 'bout a year ago.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by cadwiz

ive been up to big bear 5 or 6 times this year and i saw full dh rigs on the lifts everytime.

also, i rode my ss rigid bike a few times along with my ss 4" hardtail and my 5" full supension.

in my opinion its all ridable on any bike, but the technique is very different. when im on the rigid bike im riding slower and zig zaggin through my line. I dont remember the trail names but some where very steep and scary at some points and would have been so much fun on a 6" fs bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbacabra
    I may remember the last time you went OTB. A night-ride at Sycamore, 'bout a year ago.

Yup I remember that one......that was the last OTB for me until Big Bear

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff
    I used to live in BB and still go there often (hoping to also move back up there sooner than later) In regards to the riding on the north side of the lake, I used to mostly ride on the northside. There are mostly fireroads, but also alot of singletrack if you know where to look. The Grout Bay/ Grays Peak trail is a great trail, lots of fun. I used to also ride the " Perfect Cycling Trail" quite a bit, but I cant give specifics on that trail.

There are plans to build several legal trails near 2N10, west of Snow Summit and some trails have already popped up.
    haha thats what i call it as well. Prob my favorite trail up there. Best done on weekdays.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast