I'm going to be up at Big Bear for a few days and wanted to know if it was worth bringing my bike. I know the lifts are not taking bikes, but if there are some trails still open. I know they are making snow for a few ski runs, but since there hasn't been a real storm lately, I was wondering what the status is. Thanks .
big bear has many trails
I prefer the trails that are not in the park. Stop in a local shop or go to the discovery center and pick up a map. The Santa Ana River Trail is only about 20 minutes away, and cannot be beat. There are many trails leading in and out of Fawnskin too. Many choices, best to pick up a map.
As far as I know they haven't had any snow. Plenty of trails right in that area. Even if it does snow between now and when you go up it's a short drive to the SART and it's doubtful there'd be snow there unless a really big storm comes in.
I like Groute Bay by Faunskin and the Pineknot loop around Snow Summit (but not requiring access to the ski area.
Best call ahead to the ranger station or Discovery Center re: Fawnskin (aka "Grey's Peak", "Hannah Flats", "Area 51"). Great trail, but I think it'll be closed for a long time due to September's Butler 2 Wildfire. Trails on the other side of the lake, like Pineknot, should be okay.
From San Bernardino Nat'l Forest website:
FIRE CLOSURE AREAS
You MUST check with the Big Bear Discovery Center to determine the specific closure area. Please call (909) 382-2790
Butler 2 Fire - Road, Trail and Recreational Facility Closures. (Butler Fire Closure Map PDF)
- Butler Peak Lookout
- Hanna Flat Trail
- Hanna Flat Campground
- Big Pine Flat Campground
- Grays Peak Group Campground
- Ironwood Group Campground
- Big Pine Flat Group Campground
- Little Bear Springs Trail Camp
- 1W05 Grays Peak Trail & Trailhead
- 1W06 Grays Peak
- 1W17 Redonda Ridge
- 2N06X Lower Larga Flat
- 2N13 Snowslide and spur roads / Trails
- 3N11 Wright Mine
- 3N14 Coxey and spur roads/trails closed at 3N12 north of Fawnskin to 3N16 at Big Pine Flats.
- 3N16 Holcomb Valley - Closed from Holcomb Creek Crossing (3N93) to Green Valley Lake Road
- 3N93 Holcomb Creek
- Pacific Crest Trail - Big Bear Area- The PCT will remain closed from the 3N16/Holcomb Creek crossing on the west side (approx. 2 miles northeast of Crab Flats), to 2N09 (Polique Canyon Rd.) . Little Bear Springs trail camp is closed to public use, due to Butler 2 Fire.A PCT trail reroute is being developed.
Never give up, never surrender.
DJO 3D knee- 17 OCT 2014
Snow is forcasted for this weekend up here too.
Ripping trails and tipping ales
Thanks to all
Of you that replied. I just got back. I stayed in the Fawnskin area. A lot of the trails were closed due to the fire. I spoke with a ranger(who will remain nameless) and after talking with them about 30 minutes, set me up on a killer ride. I mentioned that I thought that the area they were suggesting was closed, the ranger said they appreciated me inquiring first and to be respectful of the environment. I wish I could disclose the route. The lesson here is: Just be cool, DON'T be as TOOL.
Big Bear is expecting snow this weekend, get it while you can. Thanks again to all who responded.