Thread: Big Bear

mtbr member
    May 2006

Big Bear

Who has gone riding in Big Bear recently? I have been looking to setup a weekend up there maybe do a one nighter and hit some trails both days. I have been up there plenty but never with a bike. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    1) Buy a Franco's Map. It's compact and is a pretty accurate topographic map. Bear Valley Bikes did carry the last time I was in the area. Also, if you enjoy beer, close by is Big Bear Mountain Brewing. Above average craft beers.

http://www.bvbikes.com/

Link contains trail notes.

2) Snow Summit lift if you don't feel like climbing (though not overly strenuous - area is mainly middle ring stuff).

mtbr member
    We were there less than 2 wks ago. Just an FYI that most of the BB trails are poorly marked, if at all, and many have multiple names. Not sure what kind of mtb'ing you're into, but as Intermediate XC'er my favorites are "Pirates" (aka "Speedos") and "Pine Knot" (aka "1E01") on the Snow Summit side. Be sure to take 1E01 ALL THE WAY DOWN at least once rather than turning prematurely back to Snow Summit on the Grandview Loop. 1E01 is great! Once in the Village, grab lunch and a beer b4 heading back to the cars via the signed "Bike Route" (quiet roads behind BB Blvd).

On the North Shore, "Grout Bay" (aka "Hanna Flat", "Area 51", "Fawnskin") is truly a blast-- a wonderful rollercoaster ST. Lots of ups & downs thru the forest; upper trailhead is at Hanna Flat campground appx above & behind campsite #49. Lower trailhead is at Grout Bay/Grey's Peak parking on 38 less than a mile west of Fawnskin. You can make a loop of it or go out 'n back. Along the way-- optional climb to Grey's Peak.

I was in a mixed group, m/f, of varying ages & abilities, and everyone loved these trails.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i heard big bear was reopining to dh riders

mtbr member
    Snow Summit has NOT reopened it's former DH courses, but I saw riders
    w/ definite DH bikes (including a couple in my party). The lift operator loaded them, no problem. Bring your xc bike also, in case they get strict again.

Floater
    My wife and I were up there for the first time last Monday and we had a blast! But like
    m2toinstinct said, get Franco's Map, without it we'd might have gotten way off track.

mtbr member
    I wondered that about myself, they have a policy about no downhill bikes and there I saw this guy looking like Robocop on a downhill bike racing down the mountain. Go figure.

Over the Hill
    The locals have told me that the Forest Service is watching, if we are cool they may alow the downhills to reopen.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadkid91
    i heard big bear was reopining to dh riders
    Now that's just mean to say!!!