Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bear 2014

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Big Bear 2014

Park opens up on Friday 4/18.

I heard season passes are $279, anyone know if the daily rate has increased this season? Assuming the park closes in October we'll have a solid 6 months of riding so it may be worth it to get a pass. Any locals know if all the trails will be open the first weekend?

Bike Park Kick Off Party 4/19

ATTN mountain bikers: your prayers have been answered. We will be opening the mountain bike park on 4/18 the Friday before Easter weekend and will continue to keep it open on Friday, Saturday and Sundays. This will be the earliest opening for mountain bike parks in North America! Join us on Saturday April 19th for our first annul Kick-Off Party. We will have the Red Bull MXT here with DJ Slip Matt playing in the plaza. Check out bike vendors and win prizes throughout the day. Come up and celebrate with us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Last year on opening day they only had a couple open trails. The upper singletrack is usually still open though.

mtbr member
    gonna be there probably friday

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    link for season passes

https://ecommerce.snowsummit.com/e-commerce/

$279 for adults, probably $35 for day passes, so you break even after 8 trips...

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    No new trails there from last year. There is an article that talked about the red tape with the forest service. It caused them to step back to get it cleared up. They are hopeful to add beginner's trial this year and that is about it for the ski area.

Snow Summit Bike Park, Moving Forward, whats new for 2014

Don't let that get you down as there are a number of great trails that can be accessed outside the ski area.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    im not sure if all the trails in the park will be open, if not, it won't because of snow. All the trails off SS are clear and open.

mtbr member
    the 2 main trails should be open though, right?
    Need a Website? Custom Websites. Lowest Price. Hosting available. Need a website built or help with one? Let me know.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    Last year on opening day they only had a couple open trails. The upper singletrack is usually still open though.
    That is because last year was the first year they had opened up again in over 10 years.....

Too bad to hear they wont have a few more trails to offer this year. That wont stop me from going up at least two or three times this summer.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would think all three of the trails should be open, don't have confirmation on that, but if I talk to anyone who works at Summit, I'll find out and report it here.

No known cure
    Who cares anyway. There's so much to ride up here if you're gonna drive up.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Top trails to not miss if driving up for a day? and how about two days.. w/ possible cars dropped off, doesn't have to be a loop etc

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    ^ Exactly. If the south side of the lake gets boring there are plenty on the northside behind the discovery center.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yeah I've ridden some of the stuff on the north side, but if you bring up a big bike and plan on using the lifts it's nice to know what to expect

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    I plan on riding the lift on Friday the 18th and need to rent a DH bike for my son. Where would you guys recommend? At Snow Summitt or one of the local shops? Thanks
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I think SS rentals should fit the bill, they use Trek's, the other 2 shops that rent bikes, Bear Valley Bikes have Specialized and KHS, Chains Required also has Trek ands Giant.

For those not relying on the lifts,or use the lifts and are interested in XC, light trail, there are plenty of trails to be found on both sides of the lake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven View Post
    I plan on riding the lift on Friday the 18th and need to rent a DH bike for my son. Where would you guys recommend? At Snow Summitt or one of the local shops? Thanks
    If you're in Orange County stop by the path bike shop. They rent giant glory for 80ish a day.
    Need a Website? Custom Websites. Lowest Price. Hosting available. Need a website built or help with one? Let me know.

mtbr member

Big Bear 2014

I have never been and plan on going a couple of times this summer. What should I expect? Is there any specific things I should know?

mtbr member
    They do offer good club discounts. Talk to Roxanne Walters in sales to get your club on the list. GGR gets great discounts and some comps..
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I think SS rentals should fit the bill, they use Trek's, the other 2 shops that rent bikes, Bear Valley Bikes have Specialized and KHS, Chains Required also has Trek ands Giant.

For those not relying on the lifts,or use the lifts and are interested in XC, light trail, there are plenty of trails to be found on both sides of the lake.
    I've ridden Gray's Peak and hiked Cougar Crest, are there any other trails you recommend checking out on the North side?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If you've ridden or hiked to Grays Peak, then you were on the Grout Bay trail to get to the trailhead. Grout Bay Trail starts/ finishes at the Hanna Flats campground space #51, and ends/ starts at the Grout Bay day use area. It is mostly fire roads with some hidden, secret single track, the Perfect Cycling Trail is also another option, although you may not want to ride it, especially on weekends.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What's the park like for XC? What I can ride back and forth via their lifts.

Looks like one XC/Intermediate trail and can't tell how long it is (miles). West Ridge. Looks like you have to ride advanced on Cruiser for a bit to hit it. from vids looks like everyones wearing full face helmets so might be a little too advanced for the crew I plan to take.

Might have to wait for Mammoth?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If your of a XC rider, I would even bother riding the bike park. There are tons of XC trails around Snow Summit, trails like Skyline, Trick or Treat, Powerline, Pineknot trail and Cabin 89 and Grout Bay trail and Grays Peak on the Northshore near Fawnskin are all awesome trails worth coming up to ride.
    I've ridden the bike park, there are some great trails there, just not totally XC bike friendly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Agree with Jeff, although I have spent all weekend riding the lifts and riding the XC trails as well....some more all mountain....I'll be up there a ton this summer for the bike festival and GGR trips, so looking forward to riding more of the trails in town that I don't know. The trails in Fawnskin are awesome but short, so you have to connect them
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    my old giant trance x2 with 120mm was considered an "xc" and i had no issues with it on the bike park last year. sure, you wont be catching massive air or ripping down like some on dh bikes but the trails are pretty smooth

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast