Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Big Bear 2014

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    shame on you letting a slower rider go by you then not giving enough space before you start up again then saying behind you @$$hole. If it was my friend I would have heckled him more and then crashed him
    LOL, I thought I might get some comments about that. That is a buddy of mine from work. I use "asshoe" as a term of endearment. You are right though, I should have heckled him more and knocked him down. Next time.
    Last edited by Shredman69; 05-05-2014 at 07:53 AM.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm a beginner level rider and have never been to Big Bear to ride.
    I would like to go a few times this summer so what specific trails do you recommend for a beginner?
    I obviously don't want anything too technical and I'm not interested in big jumps or anything like that, just some nice flow trails would be ideal.
    I did my first ever lift-assisted runs in Mammoth last year so I can manage, but I'm just looking to enjoy the ride and not mangle myself.

thx

mtbr member

Big Bear 2014

Rcrscott, you would probably like west ridge. Although there Is a few jumps. But it is the easiest one they have open at the moment. It's all about going and checking which ones you like the most. You'll definitely have a good time. Yesterday was my first time and I had a blast!!!

mtbr member
    Everything on West ridge is rollable. It's my favorite trail even though it's not the most technical up there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rcrscott29 View Post
    I'm a beginner level rider and have never been to Big Bear to ride.
    I would like to go a few times this summer so what specific trails do you recommend for a beginner?
    I obviously don't want anything too technical and I'm not interested in big jumps or anything like that, just some nice flow trails would be ideal.
    I did my first ever lift-assisted runs in Mammoth last year so I can manage, but I'm just looking to enjoy the ride and not mangle myself.

thx
    If you don't want to do the DH, you can always take the lift to the top and ride skyline, 2N10 to Pineknot and other branched off trails like that. I can share some of my strava rides from last year that were alot of fun and I had only been riding for about 5 months if that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As mentioned, Westridge is a good trail on the slopes. For some flowy XC trails you should also make your way over to skyline and pineknott (1e01), then take towne trail back over to the lift.

mtbr member

Big Bear 2014

Did anyone go out for Mother's Day weekend?

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    I wode the park on Saturday and it's in great shape. The lines we short most of the day and I got 11 runs in down the mountain. The wind was a big factor. You know the fast ladder drop near the top? The wind pushed me in the air over a bike length of where I wanted to land. The first time it was a little unexpected but the rest of the day I just compensated for it.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    O and just a heads up for all you Big Bear regulars! GGR and Trail Angels are hosting an all women's weekend there August 9th and 10th. Close to 70 women will be on the mountain riding both the XC and DH trails. So please make sure you say HI and if you need to pass, be safe and courteous as we will be too! Thanks luvs..
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    hmm... The Mile.. I'm making plans to make the short trip from Lompoc to ride it a time or 5 on 23May... I'm slow, out of shape, riding the Jedi which is a completely new platform for me and confidence level at an all time low... I'll make sure to move over to let others pass
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    hmm... The Mile.. I'm making plans to make the short trip from Lompoc to ride it a time or 5 on 23May... I'm slow, out of shape, riding the Jedi which is a completely new platform for me and confidence level at an all time low... I'll make sure to move over to let others pass
    hit me up...I might be there (probably)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Will do!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    If any of you plan on being there for the July 4th weekend, the town is almost booked up! I got lucky with a condo from the Bike Shop. So me and some of my posse will be there for the holiday weekend! I'm back in June for some coaching too with Richard La China...then back in August for the womens weekend! Gonna be an awesome summer in Big Bear!
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    I went this past Friday with a co worker and his 13yr old son. It was funny because the 13yr old was faster than his dad. They added some more features to Westridge too like a wall ride and some more jumps Here's a little vid.

Snow Summit Bike Park - YouTube

Snow Summit Bike Park - YouTube
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Big Bear 2014

Headed up this weekend. Excited!

mtbr member
    So rumor has it you might not have to decide between a Mammoth and Big Bear pass in the near future...
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm headed up for the weekend. I'm on a black Talon (HT) with yellow grips. Say "hi."

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What rumor is that? I know reps from Mammoth were up here a few times during the winter, but didn't hear any rumor in regards to anything.

mtbr member
    I'm there all weekend too! I will have my purple GGR jersey on both days. Make sure you say HI!
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm moving back to Big Bear in a few weeks. Are there any regular group rides?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Welcome back! There are rides every day of the week, either road or mountain, check bigbearcycling.com for more info.
    I ride the Tues. night road ride( starts at Maggios in the Vons center@5pm) or the Thur. night mountain ride( Starbucks in the Vons center also@5pm)
    Both these rides are advanced riders only, but there are rides of all levels, come on out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I had a blast today and look forward to tomorrow. For the first time ever, I "got some air" over a bump I've always just rolled. There was a kid ahead of me who got air, so I figured that I'd try. I even landed with the wheels under the bike. Wow.

However, I'm absolutely beat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Big Bear 2014

You can't roll the ones on Westridge Had a great time, bummed my gopro was pointed at my crossbar the whole time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    When I die, someone can put my ashes in a backpack and wear it while riding Westridge because thats the only way I'll do it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    There were a huge number of pinch flats while I was there this weekend. Interesting.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast