Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Big Bear 2014

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by GGR Girl Wendy View Post
    Pads and full face helmets are completely a personal choice. I can tell you that for me, as an XC rider, I feel more committed on the gnarlier trails when wearing pads and a FF helmet. When riding all the XC trails I wear my XC Kali helmet. If you ride at very high speeds....I would suggest it...although I was severely injured at only 31 miles an hour descending which is low speed to most of the DH riders I ride with.
    Agreed! I run my XC helmet here locally, but when I go up to a place with lifts where I am doing less pedaling and more bombing I go with full leg/shin and arm pads and a full face helmet.

The pads alone build my confidence and help me to push myself to do things I would never do without them. The first year I rode with pads in Big Bear I went off a dropoff on the old West Ridge trail (was that really 12 years ago????) and was not able to get my bike turned to the right fast enough and ran my left leg into the giant log laying there. Without pads my day would have been over and my leg a big mess. With pads I stopped for a second, and then went about my business.

That said, I have a friend who goes with us and he rides without pads and in a XC helmet, but he also does not bomb the trails and is there to enjoy the outdoors.

Decide how fast you want to push yourself and dress accordingly.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt View Post
    ^^^ The best post in this entire thread. ^^^

I say, ride within your ability, but always try to push your limits. If you are faster than someone else on the trail, any trail / anyplace, try to be courteous and not a d1ck when you ask to pass. Remember, we (Mtn Bikers) are really a pretty small group, so why would any of us ever "hate"? Besides, we were all once slower, and there is ALWAYS someone faster. If you are slower than others on a particular trail, be aware of others, be friendly, and allow others to pass when you can.

I love cycling. When I'm on a bike I'm happy. When I'm not and see someone that is, it makes me happy. Every so often posts show up. Roadies vs. Mountain Bikers, DHers vs. XC, down hill vs. up hill... I say, if you're out riding, and see others doing the same, share the love man. Life is, and your time riding certainly is, too short.
    While klurejr's and your posts are spot-on, the riders who really need to read/hear this advice are not likely to be reading this thread. Or any other thread, for that matter.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    While klurejr's and your posts are spot-on, the riders who really need to read/hear this advice are not likely to be reading this thread. Or any other thread, for that matter.
    touche
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Very true.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    We got about 6" of snow last night up here, melting really fast, if your coming up, all the snow should pretty much be gone by tomorrow, should make for some great conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Shot from Friday
    Big Bear 2014-dsc_1393.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceuppercut View Post
    Shot from Friday
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1393.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	888791
    Which Friday? This last one? Wondering how long the
    snow will stick around?

mtbr member
    What a crazy weekend... Friday trail conditions were awesome and there was virtually no waiting in the lift line. My son and I carved the park up all day... After 12 runs my legs and arms were burning. Weather held out until the park closed at 4. Then after a 6" dump we spent most of the day Saturday sledding. Epic! Unfortunately the bike park was obviously closed Sat and Sun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Armeniandave View Post
    Which Friday? This last one? Wondering how long the
    snow will stick around?
    The 25th. The snow wasn't there yet when I left.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The snow surprisingly stuck around all weekend, usually this time of the year, the snow melts very fast. I rode today up 2n08, Coyote, Skyline then down 1e01, what a fricken mess.

Glad to Be Alive
    First Friday....opening day
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Pads and full face helmets are completely a personal choice. I can tell you that for me, as an XC rider, I feel more committed on the gnarlier trails when wearing pads and a FF helmet. When riding all the XC trails I wear my XC Kali helmet. If you ride at very high speeds....I would suggest it...although I was severely injured at only 31 miles an hour descending which is low speed to most of the DH riders I ride with.

Have fun and make sure you say HI! Can't miss me, I always wear my purple GGR jersey and will be there a ton this summer
    31 mph is very fast...even 20 is good speed...35 plus is pro speed
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    well, you know who I was riding with...he must have been going close to 40-45. Fast fast fast fast fast......def pro speed....wish he was using a Garmin..that's how I knew how fast I was going.....
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    I am there this Sunday, make sure you say HI to the girlz in the purple jersey's!
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Have fun and make sure you say HI! Can't miss me, I always wear my purple GGR jersey and will be there a ton this summer
    31mph. Interesting. That is what my "max speed" was at on my bike computer the day I crashed in a rocky creek bed, and fractured my left leg in 15 places. The Ortho surgeon turned out to be a good guesser; he commented that my degree of fracture he did not see on bicycles so often, but more like what he saw on motorcycles. He guessed "at least 30 mph".

mtbr member
    O my Old Ray, so very sorry to hear! I didn't realize I was going that fast until I uploaded my Strava from my Garmin. I felt like I was going really slow...or maybe it was just remembered in slo mo! It felt like a very slow and hard hit. Interesting we were both at about the same speed...

I hope you have had the surgery you needed and are out of pain. Back on the bike yet?
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    O my Old Ray, so very sorry to hear! I didn't realize I was going that fast until I uploaded my Strava from my Garmin. I felt like I was going really slow...or maybe it was just remembered in slo mo! It felt like a very slow and hard hit. Interesting we were both at about the same speed...

I hope you have had the surgery you needed and are out of pain. Back on the bike yet?
    That was way back in '98, so yeah,I'm riding after 6 months of no weight-bearing. I have enough permanent retained hardware in that leg make a Colt 1911 pistol. A long-slide, at that!

mtbr member

Big Bear 2014

Thinking about going this Sunday. Planning on being there by 10 or 11. Have the Sundays been crowded?

mtbr member
    I will be there before 10am! Make sure you say HI! Look for the GGR purple jerseys...weather forecast is 65 degrees and sunny! No clue about crowds...this is my 1st time up there this year
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My plans got scrubbed to head to Mammoth this June, cause they will not be open by the time I take vacation. So please help me understand something, is SS the spot for a MTB Park or did Big Bear open up one? I've ridden BB two years ago and it was great. My plans are to ride Sat BB and if SS has a Park, then ride there Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The park is at SUMMIT, there is no park at Bear Mtn...

mtbr member

Big Bear 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
    My plans got scrubbed to head to Mammoth this June, cause they will not be open by the time I take vacation.
    You sure about that?

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb...open-may-24th/
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    My buddy was told by someone he met at Chaparral Motorsports in San Bernardino that SS did not secure his bike to the chairlift properly and his bike fell off the chairlift and was damaged (I'm not sure why my friend did not ask if SS reimbursed him to get his bike fixed...said he hates SS).

Has this happened to anyone?

mtbr member
    I went this Friday for the first time. Great conditions and an awesome day of riding. By 2:00 my legs were done, wet noodles and now I walk like a robot. But I'm going back as soon as I can. Here is a couple runs from my helmet cam.

Snow Summit 2014 Westridge - YouTube

Snow Summit 2014 Miracle Mile/Turtle - YouTube
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredman69 View Post
    I went this Friday for the first time. Great conditions and an awesome day of riding. By 2:00 my legs were done, wet noodles and now I walk like a robot. But I'm going back as soon as I can. Here is a couple runs from my helmet cam.

Snow Summit 2014 Westridge - YouTube

Snow Summit 2014 Miracle Mile/Turtle - YouTube
    shame on you letting a slower rider go by you then not giving enough space before you start up again then saying behind you @$$hole. If it was my friend I would have heckled him more and then crashed him

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast