Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Big Bear 2014

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
    rained/snowed out on friday! was at the top of the lodge eating lunch and it started snowing/hailing. then turned into rain. waited about 30mins, bombed down west ridge and it was already be ruined by the mud. all the burms were shot. got down and completely covered in mud. hosed the bikes off and changed and drove home such a bummer. wish i had gone saturday!
    I was just starting a run down when it started raining. Got wet and muddy. Rode back up on the lift and got soaked in rain. Half way up it started snowing. I got to the top and had a pulled pork sandwich and a coffee. About the time I was done the rain and snow had stopped. Went back out and half the people had left. The dirt was perfect on the top half and a little slick on the bottom half. Hammered out a bunch of runs with no traffic or dust. Saturday the dirt was perfect and by about 1 PM most people had left. Got in 10 runs. The last 6 had very little traffic or lift lines. Sunday I got in 5 runs in two hours with no traffic or lift lines. It was a pretty good weekend for me.

Professional Troll
    HAve they sorted out the bike loading thing? Or are they still doing 1 bike at a time on the lifts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I was up at the lifts on Sat., checking out the small expo, but I didn't ride the lifts and didn't notice how they are loading the bikes, I'll try and go up there today to check it out, although they are not operating. June 14th is the day they start operating daily.

mtbr member
    old style, 1 at a time. at least that kinda keeps the trails for getting too overcrowded, though.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Still 1 bike at a time. I asked about it and they said they wanted to buy 4 bike racks, but ski season was so bad they didn't have money for it.

mtbr member
    seems like that's the excuse they're going to be using a lot this summer.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GGR Girl Wendy View Post
    I'm an XC rider and ride all the trails with my 29r. I always pull over for faster riders and have no problem, just please give me and others the opportunity to ride and a chance to pull over when its safe. DON'T creep up on us or pass without safe clearance please. Most of the time, the seasoned DH riders are the best on the trails, pass with safety, and are very considerate and I greatly appreciate that. Its the riders who are out of control who I worry about.
    That's the way it should be done. If there is the space, I will move over but coming up behind me "giving me pointers" and riding so close I can see your front tire is not the way it should be done. I would like to see Snow Summit post rules on this like other SoCal mountains have though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think Summit is really interested in improving the bike lift situation. Once you have a lift ticket why do they care how many runs you get? They have nothing to gain, they just have to work harder moving more bikes and people. It is NOT complicated. All they have to do is put a hook on a (~2') extension bar off the back of the lift, unload the front bike first and then the second when it makes the turn, it gives the lifties sufficient time to unload. Simple and cheap bolt-on solution, proven at other bike parks, that will double the efficiency of the lifts. The bars could easily be built and installed in a week.

Bummer about the rain on opening day. I've gotten soaked on the lift before but luckily the cabin in at the end of one of the trails so we just rode back, dried the clothes and took a hot shower, then hit it up in the afternoon.

Beer Please!
    Funny all the banter about faster vs slower riders.

Has anyone actually had any issues with this?

I have been riding lift runs in Big Bear and Mammoth for well over 10 years and not once had anyone get upset about needing to pass or be passed. Having a bell or squeaky toy is a very polite way to let someone know you are behind them, and I have yet to meet a fellow Mountain Biker who is not willing to move over when it is safe to do so.

Please do not let the idea of getting a fast Strava time push you to ignore basic principles of being safe on the trail and respecting other human beings who are interested in the same sport as you are.

That said, Snow Summit does not even have a "green" trail where beginner's might be riding and going slow, you should be somewhat experienced to go ride the park there. Mammoth on the other hand does have a few "green" marked trails where you can encounter much slower riders.

Be safe, Have fun, Respect others!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    I've gotten soaked on the lift before but luckily the cabin in at the end of one of the trails so we just rode back, dried the clothes and took a hot shower, then hit it up in the afternoon.
    lucky you had that cabin... ive been soaked on the lifts last season. freak down pour... just had the jersey/standard gear on since it was quite a warm/nice day... was the worst feeling ever.... never been so cold in my life, once we got to the top, it stopped raining, then we had to ride down all drenched. was even more cold and uncomfortable until we got back to the trucks... haha. guess you can't really prepare for that stuff.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post

Yep! Some people have egos or something about being passed or moving over "How dare someone go faster than me!" or some kind of weird mentality. OH well, it just makes me chuckle and they're the ones who's blood pressure rises. Makes my day honestly.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    What works for me when I want to pass a slower rider is I say what I want to do. As I come up I say "I will pass you on your left when the trail opens up and its safe" They almost always start drifting over to the right side of the trail and I make a clean pass and I always say thanks.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven View Post
    What works for me when I want to pass a slower rider is I say what I want to do. As I come up I say "I will pass you on your left when the trail opens up and its safe" They almost always start drifting over to the right side of the trail and I make a clean pass and I always say thanks.
    Funny, I have almost never found that to work.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    so many pro DHers nowadays, i don't know what to do...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkimSTi View Post
    so many pro DHers nowadays, i don't know what to do...
    Please move over to your right, thanks.

Why do you have to be a pro downhiller to want to be able to ride a entire run without obstruction, that's why most people go to a lift access resort.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    Please move over to your right, thanks.

Why do you have to be a pro downhiller to want to be able to ride a entire run without obstruction, that's why most people go to a lift access resort.
    obviously didnt catch my sarcasm, bro.

as stated, i am far from pro, love having lift access, and respect all fellow riders on the trails. i meant, everyone else is so damn good they have to look down on other riders and be ***** about it.

as someone else mentioned, we all pay to ride, and we arent ALL going to be DH professionals looking to shave hundreths of seconds of our times.

for many riders, parks are a place to enjoy their GRAVITY bikes, without having to hike uphills and enjoy a lengthy DH ride with minimal peddling. (at least id imagine so)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GGR Girl Wendy View Post
    the seasoned DH riders are the best on the trails, pass with safety, and are very considerate and I greatly appreciate that. Its the riders who are out of control who I worry about.
    i guess what i dont understand is why people have to be so rude about it. Those 'overly' experienced riders that complain about not getting full runs in, because they are the king of the mountain. be respectful, i say.. being polite encourages the slower rider to continue to ride AND learn, so maybe the next time they come back they won't be the slow guy anymore...

after all, we all start somewhere, we were all slow when we started.

i do believe, if you are going to a bike park, EXPECTING to get a full run in, without running into other riders (slower or faster) you are going to the park for the wrong reasons. you should be entering downhill races, so you can have the full track to yourself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is BB the only lift accessible bike park open right now?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    to my knowledge, yes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm thinking of going up to Big Bear. I would be riding my Enduro. Is a full face helmet recommended? I'm hesitant to buy one because I don't have much use for it usually.

mtbr member

Re: Big Bear 2014

Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    I'm thinking of going up to Big Bear. I would be riding my Enduro. Is a full face helmet recommended? I'm hesitant to buy one because I don't have much use for it usually.
    Just get some cheap one under $100. I paid $70 for mine.
    It is still much cheaper than dental reconstruction...

mtbr member
    Pads and full face helmets are completely a personal choice. I can tell you that for me, as an XC rider, I feel more committed on the gnarlier trails when wearing pads and a FF helmet. When riding all the XC trails I wear my XC Kali helmet. If you ride at very high speeds....I would suggest it...although I was severely injured at only 31 miles an hour descending which is low speed to most of the DH riders I ride with.

Have fun and make sure you say HI! Can't miss me, I always wear my purple GGR jersey and will be there a ton this summer
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    May 2013
    hey GGR, were you up there a lot last season? i swear i remember seeing a purple lady riding that was friendly. (the ladies are rare up there lol)

mtbr member
    actually there are a ton of us! There are 600 alone in GGR! About 70 of us will be there mid August for an all women's weekend.

Yup, I was up there probably 4 times last year. Many purple GGR jersey's there....we are all very friendly and always say HI to all!

You can't miss my bike either, it's an Epic 29r with GGR painted on the rims and all blinged out in purple although this was just done this year...I am there next Sunday...this weekend is the R50
    GGR Girl Wendy E

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post

I have been riding lift runs in Big Bear and Mammoth for well over 10 years and not once had anyone get upset about needing to pass or be passed. Having a bell or squeaky toy is a very polite way to let someone know you are behind them, and I have yet to meet a fellow Mountain Biker who is not willing to move over when it is safe to do so.

Please do not let the idea of getting a fast Strava time push you to ignore basic principles of being safe on the trail and respecting other human beings who are interested in the same sport as you are.

That said, Snow Summit does not even have a "green" trail where beginner's might be riding and going slow, you should be somewhat experienced to go ride the park there. Mammoth on the other hand does have a few "green" marked trails where you can encounter much slower riders.

Be safe, Have fun, Respect others!

^^^ The best post in this entire thread. ^^^

I say, ride within your ability, but always try to push your limits. If you are faster than someone else on the trail, any trail / anyplace, try to be courteous and not a d1ck when you ask to pass. Remember, we (Mtn Bikers) are really a pretty small group, so why would any of us ever "hate"? Besides, we were all once slower, and there is ALWAYS someone faster. If you are slower than others on a particular trail, be aware of others, be friendly, and allow others to pass when you can.

I love cycling. When I'm on a bike I'm happy. When I'm not and see someone that is, it makes me happy. Every so often posts show up. Roadies vs. Mountain Bikers, DHers vs. XC, down hill vs. up hill... I say, if you're out riding, and see others doing the same, share the love man. Life is, and your time riding certainly is, too short.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast