Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bear 2014

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    ^ 120mm is a bit short for the park but it can be done. As long as you are respectful of the other riders around you, it will be fun. More suspension and strong brakes do make it a bit more enjoyable though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    No matter what bike your riding, it comes down to riding preferences. I've ridden my 4" travel XC bike in the park, as well as my 6" am bike, the bigger travel bike was way more fun, but all the trails outside the park, my XC bike excels.
    As GGR Girl states, shuttling up on the lift and riding the trails outside the park is a great option also.
    One of my favorite rides is, starting from my house on the east end Northshore area, I ride up Fern trail to 2n10, to Skyline to Secret trail( to become the extension of Skyline) to Cabin 89 to Millcreek, then take the hwy over the dam to the Grout Bay trail, to Rim of the World 2n14, to Delamar man 2n16, to Perfect Cycling Trail, to Van Dusen Cyn, then 1 mile back home. Turns out to be about 45 miles with more than half of that on sweet single track. Thinking of doing this ride this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    No matter what bike your riding, it comes down to riding preferences. I've ridden my 4" travel XC bike in the park, as well as my 6" am bike, the bigger travel bike was way more fun, but all the trails outside the park, my XC bike excels.
    As GGR Girl states, shuttling up on the lift and riding the trails outside the park is a great option also.
    One of my favorite rides is, starting from my house on the east end Northshore area, I ride up Fern trail to 2n10, to Skyline to Secret trail( to become the extension of Skyline) to Cabin 89 to Millcreek, then take the hwy over the dam to the Grout Bay trail, to Rim of the World 2n14, to Delamar man 2n16, to Perfect Cycling Trail, to Van Dusen Cyn, then 1 mile back home. Turns out to be about 45 miles with more than half of that on sweet single track. Thinking of doing this ride this weekend.
    Sounds like a great ride. For someone who's only ridden up there a handful of times, a GPS or Strava link to a ride like this would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Sounds like a great ride. For someone who's only ridden up there a handful of times, a GPS or Strava link to a ride like this would be awesome.
    If you open up strave to the 2n10 area you can find alot of trails branching off it. Pineknot is one of my favorites.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    follet's map is pretty good and is available everywhere, I think you can even get it at 7-11

Buy a Big Bear Trail Map! - Big Bear Mountain Biking Trail Guide Maps GPS - Hiking Trails too!

not sure if the hardcopy map has been updated with the Skyline or the summit park trails but there is info at the website above

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Follet's map is the best source for trail info, not sure if Skyline or the bike park are on the map, don't know if there is a 2014 edition.
    If you have Strava, go to the explore key, every ride and trail has segments.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    is anyone going up there this weekend? me and my wife just moved here from hawaii recently so dont know where any trails are out there. Also looking for good places to camp.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just rode Westridge about 2 hours ago, its in awesome condition, looks like they added a few more things to it from last year.

There are plenty of places to camp up here, google big bear camping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    At more of a beginner skill level who is hesitant to get too airborne, is the park still fun? I like fast and flowy, just not super comfortable on jumps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    West ridge is the easiest way down and has lots of jumps, almost forced to get airborne on many of them, so if your not comfortable, the park is not the place, however, there is tons of trails outside the park that are chair lift accessible that should fit the bill. Trails like Skyline, Pineknot and Powerline are a few of the trails.

mtbr member
    Anybody have a ride report from this weekend? How are the trails? Are they all open now? Planning on going up next weekend.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    West ridge is the easiest way down and has lots of jumps, almost forced to get airborne on many of them, so if your not comfortable, the park is not the place, however, there is tons of trails outside the park that are chair lift accessible that should fit the bill. Trails like Skyline, Pineknot and Powerline are a few of the trails.
    I don't remember having to get airborne on any of the trails last year...... There were a few doubles, but you can roll them.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member

Big Bear 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I don't remember having to get airborne on any of the trails last year...... There were a few doubles, but you can roll them.
    And the few you couldn't (or shouldn't) roll had ride-arounds. Maybe it's just too early for those to have been worked out.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I rode it the day before (Thursday) before the official opening, there are some optional lines around the jumps in places, and really you don't have to get air, you can probably roll over most if not all of the jumps. We were riding at a pretty good clip( as fast as a 4" travel XC bike would go) got air in plenty of places. We only did the one run, which was the way down the mountain that time on our regular Thurs. night ride, so without pre-riding it, we probably rode it too fast, not really knowing what to expect, although we ridden it last season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinodriver View Post
    Anybody have a ride report from this weekend? How are the trails? Are they all open now? Planning on going up next weekend.
    rained/snowed out on friday! was at the top of the lodge eating lunch and it started snowing/hailing. then turned into rain. waited about 30mins, bombed down west ridge and it was already be ruined by the mud. all the burms were shot. got down and completely covered in mud. hosed the bikes off and changed and drove home such a bummer. wish i had gone saturday!
    Need a Website? Custom Websites. Lowest Price. Hosting available. Need a website built or help with one? Let me know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
    rained/snowed out on friday! was at the top of the lodge eating lunch and it started snowing/hailing. then turned into rain. waited about 30mins, bombed down west ridge and it was already be ruined by the mud. all the burms were shot. got down and completely covered in mud. hosed the bikes off and changed and drove home such a bummer. wish i had gone saturday!

not to mention that with only 2 trails open there was absolutely no chance of getting a clean run, had to stop multiple times every run because people wouldnt let us pass. Hope they get a few more trails opened soon.
    nothing witty here...

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    not to mention that with only 2 trails open there was absolutely no chance of getting a clean run, had to stop multiple times every run because people wouldnt let us pass. Hope they get a few more trails opened soon.
    Passing people isn't about being "allowed" to pass. It's about MAKING the pass. I find making braaaap noises helps a lot. Ride real close so they see your front wheel in corners, enter corners really late too.

If they refuse to get out of your way, give them a free skillz clinic to help them build their skills. Yell tips, give them line suggestions as you are riding. Critique their form and balance. I think it's a great thing to do.

Also be sure to remind them the difficulty of the trail they are on when you pass them "Hey remember kids this is an expert only trail, you want to stick to the blues and greens."

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Passing people isn't about being "allowed" to pass. It's about MAKING the pass. I find making braaaap noises helps a lot. Ride real close so they see your front wheel in corners, enter corners really late too.

If they refuse to get out of your way, give them a free skillz clinic to help them build their skills. Yell tips, give them line suggestions as you are riding. Critique their form and balance. I think it's a great thing to do.

Also be sure to remind them the difficulty of the trail they are on when you pass them "Hey remember kids this is an expert only trail, you want to stick to the blues and greens."
    A nice loud bell or squeaky toy attacked to your handle bars is a better way to get their attention.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Big Bear 2014

*****. They are paying for the ride just like you. Share the trails guys.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    Exactly. Slower riders must always yield to faster riders on black and double black downhill trails. Greens it is the opposite. Blues....I'm not sure.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    agreed.

as much as i 'think' i am a faster than average rider, i am not pro, but at least i respect those that are faster than me.

in the more open sections i still pull over, but thats usually because my stamina is shitty and i need a quick breather. lets face it, there are SOME sections in which the trail is NOT safe to move over and let others go by.

mtbr member

Big Bear 2014

Exactly. Slower riders must always yield to faster riders on black and double black downhill trails. Greens it is the opposite. Blues....I'm not sure.
    I think this is a good rule of thumb. Everyone's welcome to ride any trail with respect for the rider at the level for which it was built. Wear a loud bell on the blues and don't be a dick is what I say.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

MTC rep for LPCPCAC

Are you sure? Can't speak to Snow Summit but even Mammoth has rules about speed.

Rule #3 On downhill trails, the SLOWER rider has the RIGHT OF WAY

Mammoth Bike Park Map and Rules

When skiing or boarding, it is the responsibility of the faster rider to safely pass the slower. Since most don't have eyes in the back of their head, it would make the most sense.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    I'm an XC rider and ride all the trails with my 29r. I always pull over for faster riders and have no problem, just please give me and others the opportunity to ride and a chance to pull over when its safe. DON'T creep up on us or pass without safe clearance please. Most of the time, the seasoned DH riders are the best on the trails, pass with safety, and are very considerate and I greatly appreciate that. Its the riders who are out of control who I worry about.
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Slower riders do have the right of way, but I agree, they should get over when safe. Ive seen faster riders make stupid, unsafe passes also and thats not right either, had a few idiots make totally unsafe passes while riding with my then 9 year son on Town Trail, almost took him out, had I not been with him I would have chased them down and gave then a mouthful..of words followed with my fist.
    We can all get along and enjoy the trails, were not racing and I'm sure we all enjoy going fast and having a great time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast