mtbr member

Bicycle GPS Tracking Technology - Anyone ever use one? (Orange County Target Market)

Hi All,

There are a few GPS tracking technologies out there:

Integrated Trackers - Manufacturers of Spybike and Spylamp bicycle GPS trackers

CHIPABIKE Electronic Bike Identification

Has anyone ever used one? What were your opinions?

My rule has always been never to lock up my bike and walk away from it. But, there are times when one has too. Alas, a long time ago I did lose a GT bicycle to theft when visiting a friend inside a mall...that sucked. Was only gone 6 minutes maybe. They left my cousin's Diamondback though.

I am doing a research paper centering around equipping the various law enforcement agencies in Orange County (test market) with technology to track/recover stolen bicycles.

The basic premise would be that bicycle owners interested would purchase associated hardware, or have retailer install. Devices registered at the point of purchase. The product would utilize GPS technology and cell-tower triangulation methods (this method requires pre-paid SIM card technology...like paying for prepaid cell phone).

In the event one's bike is stolen. The owner notifies an OC Law Enforcement agency (police/sheriff) and alerts them that is has the tracking device. The ID is given to the agency and they initiate the recovery process.

I probably wouldn't toss this on my kid's Huffy's but I would on my Santa Cruz Highball Carbon.

Would you consider such a product/service?
    Last edited by SlushPup; 07-24-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: both a product & service

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Not for me. My Bike is "UBO" (Under Butt Only). I would NEVER leave the bike unattended in a public setting. I even keep it in the House. Also, the cost of the device, and having to pay for a service rubs me the wrong way too, not to mention having yet another device attached to the bike in some fashion.
    Last edited by trmn8er; 07-25-2013 at 10:32 AM.

mtbr member
    I know how you feel. I try and go through drive-through only places when stopping for food and the bike is up on the bike rack.

What I sometimes forget is that bicycles span across many demographic groups. I like to drop some coin on riding but there are those out there who, for some reason or another, rely solely on a bicycle for their transportation and not just pleasure/lifestyle. This group of commuters probably depends more heavily on their bicycle than the weekday/weekend warrior. They may/may not be riding the priciest stuff but they can be hit by theft too.

official eMpTyBRain
    If I'm gonna stop to eat or do anything and my bike is out on the rack, I have two rules:

1) park somewhere where I can watch it like an eagle
    2) wrap up the wheels with a security cable so that it cannot be quickly ridden away if the cable is cut.

I like the idea of a hidden GPS locating device, though. In fact, I think it should be law that ALL bikes, and other mobile vehicles should come from the factory with such devices. It could help to catch a bunch of dirt bags and slow or end the crime rate where this is concerned.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Beer Please!
    Until the law is allowed to cut the hands off of bike thieves, nothing will stop them.

However I think this is a great idea for those who commute on a bike and are forced to leave it locked up in a public place.

Like many who have posted, i keep my 11 year old bike locked up in my garage, and when I do travel with it I never park with it out of my sight.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Demon Cleaner
    I'd be interested in something like this but a lot depends on cost. Like others, I never leave my bike locked out, however, I think this sort of technology would be a nice addition anyway. Garages and even houses/apartments get broken into all the time. The first thing to get grabbed in such a robbery would probably be the fanciest bike. If it could be quickly tracked, more than just the bike might get saved.

Of course, if the technology costs more than insurances....well maybe not so interesting.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    The cops aren't going to care enough about bikes to get involved in that. They barely care about cars being stolen and sometimes they don't even come out to make a report. Now, If the person owning the bike could go on the internet and track the bike, that's a different story.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    In those rare instances when my bike is steal-able, insurance with full replacement value and extension clause covers it. Bikes are a dime a dozen. I have no special attachment to the one I ride, and an occasional upgrade isn't unwelcome (if disruptive).

I really doubt I would spend money on bike lo-jack. Maybe for bikepacking, but OC-based service isn't going to help me there. Like most responders here, the focus is on not allowing it to be stolen. Mine stays locked up even indoors.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I would post this in the general section. Just leave the OC part out of it. You'll get a lot more responses.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    I would post this in the general section. Just leave the OC part out of it. You'll get a lot more responses.
    Good suggestion. I am going to repost over there.

Ride on...