mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Best trails in Orange County

Newb here and looking for some fun trails to hit. I've been going to the Fullerton loop every Sunday with a few buddies and want to try some new stuff similar to the loop, or more technical. Typically ride all mountain.

Any recommendations are appreciated or past threads on this subject.

Thanks guys & gals!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    San Juan is up there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The San Juan Trail is #1 in my opinion but I also drive up to ride San Clemente Singletracks. When I lived up there, I always rode Aliso Woods, Whiting Ranch and Crystal Cove. I have friends that ride the Newport Coast area weekly. I've only been there once but that place is a vast maze of trails. Check out Southern California Bike Site - Mountain Bike Trails, Bicycle Information for Southern California - Bike Shops in Southern California - SoCalMtB.com for some other ideas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Really appreciate the feedback! I'm gonna look into these trails. Thanks!

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    "All mountain" = Fully loop? Okay!

Anyway, in addition to the SJT (and Chiquito if you really want tech) and Aliso, you should check out Santiago Oaks and Laguna Coast Wilderness. Especially for LCWP you might want to get a guide for the first time or check out some routes online. Missing Link/Fenceline in both directions (actually in El Moro) and Old Emerald would be a good start. And there's lots of unofficial stuff to be had if you ask/look around.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 02-20-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Fully Loop is a nice little urban trail, but far from "all mountain". Try breaking in at Santiago Oaks Park. Most if not all trails are in good shape and created by a pro builder. Almost impossible to get lost out there due to borders created by houses, streets and fences. Popular place so you'll have lots of opportunities to ask directions.
    On San Juan Trail: Resist the call to shuttle( it's a time and gas suck) and start from the bottom. It's an easy climb, and by doing so, you make the call on how far and hard you want to go. You also get a good look at what that trail has to offer on the way up, making the descent an educated ride. I would suggest that if/when you arrive at Cocktail Rock ( the first intersection after about 6.5 miles) you turn around and head down avoiding any chance of getting lost. And contrary to some, it's far from a "d/h' trail; hard tails to 5" travel bikes are perfect.
    Also, Randy Vogel has a great guide book "Mountain Biking OC" but his ratings are a little light. Should be able to find at a well stocked LBS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Another good place *similar* to Fully is Chino Hills; this time of year is great. Easy to navigate. Late spring will bring tall mustard grass and ticks.
    Before San Juan, I would take a few spins at Irvine Regional/Santiago Oaks (they are adjoining parks). Plenty of XC and some techy features but you can pick and choose those.
    Happy trails!

MC MasterShake
    Sorry to poach this thread but I may be coming over to Orange County from Boston in April with a couple of buddies looking for some solid riding. Ideally, we'd like to do a couple of all day epic type rides but we'd be willing to go for a shorter ride if it were more technical or if we had to drive more. Any advice on what trails I should be looking at? Also, 5x5 or 6x6, which one do I bring on the plane?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    All day epics? I'm totally clueless about what's available to the north of OC in LA and the surrounding area but in OC itself, the pickings are slim. You can definitely make the San Juan Trail into a mostly all day affair by climbing the whole thing and doing the lollipop up top. If the snow is melted off, you can ride the Santa Ana River Trail up in Angelus Oaks/Big Bear and if you don't mind a drive, you can come down to east San Diego County and ride the Big Laguna/Nobel Canyon trail system. The Idyllwild area alone could kill a couple days but it's not in OC either
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 03-15-2013 at 03:25 PM.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    All day epics? I'm totally clueless about what's available to the north of OC in LA and the surrounding area but in OC itself, the pickings are slim. You can definitely make the San Juan Trail into a mostly all day affair by climbing the whole thing and doing the lollipop up top. If the snow is melted off, you can ride the San Juan River Trail up in Angelus Oaks/Big Bear and if you don't mind a drive, you can come down to east San Diego County and ride the Big Laguna/Nobel Canyon trail system. The Idyllwild area alone could kill a couple days but it's not in OC either
    Thanks for the response! It doesn't have to be an all day epic. I guess I'm looking for something that could take at least 3 to 4 hours at a medium pace.

When you say don't mind the drive how long are we talking?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    If the snow is melted off, you can ride the San Juan River Trail up in Angelus Oaks/Big Bear...
    I think you mean Santa Ana River Trail (SART), right? Been up there once, and happened to pass right by where all that crazy Dorner stuff came to an end. Awesome trail, for sure.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Sorry to poach this thread but I may be coming over to Orange County from Boston in April with a couple of buddies looking for some solid riding. Ideally, we'd like to do a couple of all day epic type rides but we'd be willing to go for a shorter ride if it were more technical or if we had to drive more. Any advice on what trails I should be looking at? Also, 5x5 or 6x6, which one do I bring on the plane?
    Unless you know where you are going and plan on doing some of the Pink Bike stuff on trails that shall not be named, bring the 5X5. I ride the Santa Anas all the time. The ride to Old Camp and down the luge through Whiting Ranch is about 25 miles with 3k feet of climbing. If you like to climb there is Holy Jim to Trabuco, roughly 27 miles with about 5k feet of climbing. If you don't mind riding some fire roads then Harding truck trail to Joplin will definitely test your climbing and downhill abilities. As already mentioned Aliso, Laguna Coast Wilderness and El Moro are on the coast, provide great riding, but there's a lot of segments and many trails to connect if you don't know where you're going. It's not hard to stitch together some good technical loops in over 30 plus miles of trails. There is a reason that Aliso is nicknamed MILF park!
    PM me and I can shoot you some strava or geoladder links.

dft
    mtbr member
    yea, fully loop is a mega snoozer, barely mountain biking.
    as others have mentioned, ailso woods, LCWP, santiago oaks, and the santa ana mountains (~15 fun long trails there), san juan is just one(trabuco, los pinos, bell ridge, westhorsethief, coldwater, joly jim, EHT, etc etc)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Really appreciate the feedback! So far I've now hit Santiago Oaks numerous times, The Luge, some trails on Carbon Canyon and the trails in Laguna.

Any trails worth while in Los Angeles? I also wanna hit the Whittier loop

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    whittier loop? Do you mean Turnbull?

You may enjoy schabarum park and bonelli park. both are more fun the the fully loop but nothing very hard.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCapps View Post
    whittier loop? Do you mean Turnbull?

You may enjoy schabarum park and bonelli park. both are more fun the the fully loop but nothing very hard.
    Exactly! Heard its a fun trail to ride. Ill check out Schabarum an Bonelli for sure! Thank you

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Whiting Ranch is great. Its not very long but if you want to change it into a longer ride, when you get to Four Corers you can go across Santiago Canyon Road to Santiago Truck Trail where you have a pretty long uphill and then the famous "Luge" downhill, which you can then return and finish the Whiting Ranch trails or just head back to wherever you started. You can also hit Cook's Corner for a very cheap beer or lunch.