Well Biked
    Jun 2005

Best Trails on Black Mountain San Diego?

I just moved to the PQ area and have never been for a ride on Black Mountain before. I hear there are some good trails. What are the best trails, or should I say, what give you the most fun downhill for the climb? I have a 6" travel do all bike. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Miner's ridge is fun. There are a ton of good trails in the area.

http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-rec...intrailmap.pdf

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    An easy and fun way to explore Black Mountain is to check out Racers and Chasers - Black Mountain Enduro

I rode it in last year and it was a blast. This year they added a new trail so it will give you decent an overview of some fun trails there.

There is more on the east ridge but that takes some determination to get over there. It is fun if you do.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Miners Ridge Loop

I ride the Miners ridge loop counter clockwise for a quick run. That's the extent of BM that I ride. Some of the switchbacks on the way up are technical stair steps. Besides the switchbacks, it's a pretty straight forward kinda steep climb up then you come down the other side. It's only a 30 min ride, but that's all I'm looking for when I ride there.
    Last edited by rhynohead; 01-06-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Sceptic- good to meet you the other day. Thanks for showing me around Penasquitos. I'll have to explore those trails a little more when I get back...

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll have to check out the Miners Ridge loop first, and maybe take a look at the enduro! Is the parking area for the trails the same location as the picnic area and playground?

Flipnidaho- it was great meeting you too. Hit me up with a PM when your back in town, and I can show you more fun stuff around here.

I'm your density
    I like to start from Sundevil Way. Park above the football field, ride up the pavement through the gate, then head Northeast towards the Nighthawk(?) connector to Miner's loop, once or more around the loop and return. Makes a great night ride.

I've done the South point view trail a few years ago and it was painfully overgrown.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    you can connect into Lusardi and PQ canyon too if you want more miles

mtbr member
    Racers and Chasers has four runs in .gpx files up on the site right now for the race next month. His loop was about 20 miles and 3.5K in climbing the other day if I remember correctly.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks everyone for the info! I have to ask, where is Lusardi canyon?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It's Lusardi Loop and it circles Santa Luz; about 10mi and 1k ft climb. The trail head (one of them) is at the north end of black mountain community park. Once on the trail, just follow the signs. You can see garmin data for it on the racers and chasers website. Racers and Chasers

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    I'll be doing Lusardi and part of Black Mtn. tomorrow night (Thursday) if anyone wants to come along (assuming the rain is as light as predicted).
    If not biking, then what?

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    ^ ^ ^ That was one chilly ride tonight at sunset. A bit damp in a few spots, but not bad. The dirt will be perfect tomorrow.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the info on Lusardi Loop! Is it single track?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    The only true single track is descending from the ball park into the canyon to the south/west. Most, if not all of it, is old service roads. Lots of areas have been reclaimed by grasses and plants due to the recent rains so it seems like single track.

On its own, the whole ride is about 12 miles with several steep fire road climbs in the middle and one beast of a climb out of the canyon back up to the start point.

BTW, lots of little options along the way for some flavor if you know where to look.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Riding it tomorrow morning (Wednesday) about 8 a.m. from the ball park. Come along if you want.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the info, and the ride offer. Found it on Strava, but Strava really isn't all that good unless you already know the trails your seeking.
    I'll try out Miners first.

Rejoicing always!
    Hey Sceptic,

I live very close to Mt Carmel High School, and I work in RB. As a result, I commute over Black Mtn regularly. At my last count, Including the east ridge, There are more than a dozen ways to go downhill. Six off the east ridge, a few ways through Miner's including the glider port, three down the east face of the mountain, and a couple back down to Mt Carrmel High. Throw in the final downhill to the Jr High, and there is every level, and all sorts of fun!

As banker boy mentioned, there is one nice single track from the ball fields, up over the knoll, and down to where the hot air balloons land.

Of course, if you are looking for more nonsense, you can head over to Ted Williams, which is just the other side of the 15. That is the land of long travel.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

PM me, and I can either lead you around, or give you some directions.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the kind offer geoffmayne! I'll drop you a PM.

Yes, I do go to TW when I feel like pushing my limits, and its fun. But sometimes I'm looking for something in between all out downhill and XC cruising.

So, overall would I find more excitement exploring the trails on Black Mountain, or what Penaquitos canyon has to offer?

I imagine Black Mountain isn't a quagmire after rains like PQ?
    Thanks!

Rejoicing always!
    I've become more and more fond of Black Mtn the more I explore it. In terms of quagmire, the one awful spot is the trailhead at the end of Sundevil Way. I may be out on Black Mtn on Monday hitting as much as I can.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Did a short ride up to Miner's from Sundevil. Was pretty cool. Is there a way to cut out some of the loose service road from a difffernt parking area, or is it all pretty loose on the way up?

mtbr member
    I just moved to PQ as well and am looking to start night riding. If anyone has suggestions beyond what has already been listed, or if anyone would like to show me firsthand, I'd appreciate it. I ride a 6" bike, but am fine with keeping it more xc if need be.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    Did a short ride up to Miner's from Sundevil. Was pretty cool. Is there a way to cut out some of the loose service road from a difffernt parking area, or is it all pretty loose on the way up?
    You can start at the top of Laurentian St. Climb the fireroad and take the rockier stuff downhill to Sundevil Way and make it a loop. Multiple options, that's just the most obvious one.

I will be riding it Wednesday night if anyone wants to come along.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    you can start at the parking lot at the bottom of miners loop if you want to climb single track instead.

mtbr member
    Climb the fire road up to the top and return down to Nighthawk. Down the steeper section and turn left heading towards miners loop. At the T turn right and head down miners to the first intersection and go back up miners loop. Turn right back up to nighthawk and follow down to Hilltop park. Ride the side street down and around to the first side street to the end. Head back on the dirt down and then up the hill (HAB) back to your start. Longer loop but more climbing
    San Diego needs singletrack