Results 1 to 45 of 45
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    520

    Best tires For SoCa Singletrack

    I just moved to SoCa and my Hardttail and my new FS bike are set up with pretty aggressive tread (HT - IRC Mythos, Hollowpoint - Larssen Maxxis). Anyway, I love the trails here! But, I am use to riding more rooted, wet muddy stuff back Illinois. And, my Mythos hooked up great! But, now, most of the singletrack I encounter is hardpack (but a ton more climbing in CA) Anyway, what do you guys use for your tire of choice? For my hardtail, I am going to covnert to Stan No-Tubes and my Hollowpoint has UST rims. I am into going fast (but not racer fast) but still want control on turns and downhill. Should I go with a semi-slick her in SoCa?

    Thanks for all of your responses!

  2. #2
    [paste title here]
    Reputation: mtnbikerdude87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    515
    Im running a 2.4 (F) and 2.24 (R) WTB mutano raptor on my NRS. I think it works well with Socal condtions. It rolls very fast and corners relatively well. Going on downhills, I find that it does pretty good. It rolls over the rocks with ease but sometimes I find it slipping on wet conditions (like yesterday in Santiago). One thing I dont like about these tires is that it will pack up a lot of mud. Its not a mud tire, I can say that, and it will slow you down a lot once the mud starts packing. Another weird things I found out about these tires is that it will pick up small racks between the knobs and fling them in front of you. I dont know if this is the tire's design or the reverse arch on my Skareb that cause it. Just my $.02
    Keep Pedaling

  3. #3
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316

    Best tire I've found

    is a Geax Sedona. I was running the 1.95s for about a year and a half then I switched to the 2.25s about 6 months ago. With either width, they're simply the best tire I've ever used on our trails.

    the problem with our trails is that they're very inconsistent. On one ride, you'll have sharp rocks, baby heads, hardpack, hardpack covered with sand, sand, clay, etc. Nothing is ever consistent.

    So, choosing a tire isn't as easy as choosing a tire that is best for a certain type of terrain. It's more like choosing a tire that is wrong least often.

    The Sedona's corner wonderfully and hook up on everything. It's a resaonably fast rolling tire but has good traction even when worn. My one complaint is that on the rear it seems to wear down a bit quickly but it still hooks up even when it starts looking like a semi-slick.

    I liked the Fire XC's for a while too but I found that I was tearing lugs off on all of our rocks. When the lugs were on, they seemed to hook up well (after a few rides, I didn't like them brand new) but I went through several because lugs got removed even though tread was still good.

    On another note, did you move to Newbury Park to work for a rather large pharmaceutical company on relocation from Chicago and did you perhaps purchase a condo on Artisan across from said pharmaceutical company?

    I remember a few months back a thread about somebody possibly relocating from Chicago and it turns out that whoever purchased my in-laws condo on Artisan moved from Chicago. Just seemed like a big coincidence............

    YR

  4. #4
    Dream it, Do it.
    Reputation: Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    909

    Unless you're racing, I wouldn't go with a Semi-slick

    I agree with Yeti_Rider. SoCal trails have very inconsistent conditions. Unless you're racing and know the conditions of the course on which you're riding, I would pick an all conditions tire. I been using the Fire XC for quite a while, but I'm interested in trying the Nokian NBX and the Kenda Blue Groove.

  5. #5
    cask conditioned
    Reputation: endo verendo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    625

    Everything is grippy right now.

    "But, now, most of the singletrack I encounter is hardpack"

    That should last for another month or so. Enjoy it while you can. I'm cleaning everything I've been having problems with in the past.

    I've been turning many people, both hardtailers, ss'ers and fs'ers, onto IRC 2.25 Trailbears. They're cheap at $19, wear incredibly well, have big and aggresive but non-squirmy knobs, hook up in all conditions and they're cheap! They weigh in around 720 and roll slower than a Mutano 2.4, but wear better and feel a ton better. The performance makes up for any percieved weight gain.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    636
    I'm riding intense CC2.25's right now and I like them. In the past I've also liked WTB velociraptors, Tioga DH and "extreme XC" tires. Tried IRC mythos xc but they never really hooked up in the corners. I've also tried some of Michellin's lightweight xc tires and they got torn up within a few rides. I see a lot of people riding Panaracer fire tires. Next I might try Intense system 4's or mutanoraptors, a lot of people down here are raving about them..

  7. #7
    Old Enough to Know Better
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    158

    A vote for Fire XCs

    ... or some other multi-condition tire. I've been using the Fires for several years, and haven't found anything better for general use in SoCal. At certain times of year, in certain places, a specific condition tire will do better. But overall, it's hard to beat Fire XCs.

    My in-laws live in Waukegan, IL, and the riding in Lake Co/northern Cook Co is completely differnt from SoCal - and yes, we have LOTS more climbing! There's a reason their called "mountain bikes," and I don't think you can truly experience that reason in (northern) Illinois!

  8. #8
    Merrrrjig
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    268
    I run a 26" mobster 2.5 up front and a 24" highroller 2.7 out back. Its a hell of a job going uphill!

  9. #9
    You Are What You Is
    Reputation: P-Funk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    920

    Maxxis & Panaracer

    Maxxis Minion 2.35 and Panaracer Fire XC. For all-around performance and light weight the Panaracers are a great choice. I've gone to the new Panaracer 2.4 in the front and I love it. Nokian make nice rubber as well.

  10. #10
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028

    Kenda Tomac series...

    the Blue Groove front/ Nevegal rear they come in a 2.0 - 2.5 folding (light) and Stick-E rubber compound, so they will grip and rail any terrain Cali has to offer. I live and ride in So.Cal. I have used the 2.1 & 2.35 Blue Groove and Nevegal's and they rule. Right now I have the 2.4 Cotez front and a 2.0 Karma DTC rear, very low rolling but awesome grip.

    check'em out http://www.kendausa.com

  11. #11
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,482
    The Velociraptor is KING in this area for rear tire traction, but has rolling resistance that is noticeable. I have used Tioga DH in 2.1 and 2.3 in the rear and been very happy with the performance. Panaracer Fire XC is also popular around here too for both front and rear. I currently use the Velociraptor in the front with the Tioga 2.1 DH in the rear. Mythos XC are indeed sketchy around here and the fronts will wash out in hard corners.

    I know people that have been using various Kendaís with the Stick-E rubber and saying good things about them as well, but I donít know exactly which ones.

    One other tire I feel like I have to mention that I NEVER thought I would like is the Hutchinson Scorpion. The tube version of these came on two hardtails that I bought for my kids in the past year and they both didnít care for them (and I replaced them with Fire XCís which they like), but I tested that VT1 (that has the tubeless version of the Scorpions) for a week last fall and even though I was prepared to hate them, they really surprised me with how well they hooked up. That bike with those tire absolutely hauled *** down the hills and climbed just fine. You know your tires work well when you never have to think about them while riding. Wear is another factor, but the tubeless Scorpions hooked up for me on that bike like crazy. But when it starts getting dusty, they may not work as well for climbing in the loose stuff. For that, a Velociraptor with the chevrons turned like "^" is hard to beat.
    Last edited by jeffj; 02-24-2004 at 10:55 AM.

  12. #12
    Old Enough to Know Better
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    158

    Velociraptor only a baronet...

    They are great as a rear tire when it gets all thick and dusty in late summer, but that's really the only tie they shine, IMO. On hard pack with new Velociraptors, I could sometimes feel the rear lugs vibrating the frame, or the front lugs folding on corners. I used to ride them alot, but I find the Fire XC to be a much better all-round tire here in SoCal.

  13. #13
    Ride lots...
    Reputation: DSDuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    848

    Fire Xc's

    I have been riding the Panaracer Fire XC Pro both front and rear for a couple months now, and really like them. I read another post somewhere stating they had a high rolling resistance. I have not found this to be true at all. I am very happy with them, and at $22 each, the price was right.

    Whichever tire you go with, at least you are out here in good ol SoCal--home of the (almost) endless summer. I'm originally from Northern Indiana, and I don't miss it one bit

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke
    I have been riding the Panaracer Fire XC Pro both front and rear for a couple months now, and really like them. I read another post somewhere stating they had a high rolling resistance. I have not found this to be true at all. I am very happy with them, and at $22 each, the price was right.

    Whichever tire you go with, at least you are out here in good ol SoCal--home of the (almost) endless summer. I'm originally from Northern Indiana, and I don't miss it one bit
    With the group I ride with, Fire XC 2.1's seem to be the default standard (especially when they go on sale somewhere).

    I used one as my rear tire for a few years and highly recommend it for general XC. Now I'm running the Weirwolf 2.5 on the front and the Fire FR 2.4 on the back. My bike came with a pair of Maxxis Minon DH 2.5's and they worked great, but I'd rather save them for Snow Summit this summer.

  15. #15
    Village Dirtbag
    Reputation: @dam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,276
    My Blur came with Kenda Karmas. Very fast and light. Almost like a semi-slick. They were nice on the hardpack, but were worthless in the sand. Since I live near the ocean, sand was a real issue. I switched to Conti Vertical Pro-tection tires. Much better in the sand. I have no complaints other than the price.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    39
    What do you all think of Weirwolf 2.5s? I put a pair on (rear facing backwards) and am really quite smitten with them. Have I reached nirvana or is this just a false peak in the path?

  17. #17
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,316

    A buddy of mine

    Quote Originally Posted by AMike
    What do you all think of Weirwolf 2.5s? I put a pair on (rear facing backwards) and am really quite smitten with them. Have I reached nirvana or is this just a false peak in the path?
    swears by them on his SS. He may even run one backwards but I can't recall. I just know he loves them.

    YR

  18. #18
    Owner-Mass Produced Bike
    Reputation: Fly Skywest Airlines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    43

    lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Shoo Pork
    Anyway, I love the trails here! But, I am use to riding more rooted, wet muddy stuff back Illinois.

    Thanks for all of your responses!
    Hey, you make illinois sound like a real exciting place to ride in. I used to live there.
    " www.mtbr.com the commercialization of a passion. sickening. "

  19. #19
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,739

    loose

    It is not the rocks or the hard pack that will get you, it is the loose stuff and the loose stuff sitting on top of rocks. Used Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 for a long time and thought them to be a very good tire, assuming you get the ones made in Japan and not Taiwan. I like running low air in my tires (25-28lbs) and pinch flats were happening more than I liked with the XC Pros and was tearing off knoppies.

    I do not care that much about the weight penalty and have found some fairly light high volume tires, with deep knoppies. Running a WTB Werewolf 2.5 Race on the front and IRC 2.25 Trailbear on the back. So far the best I have found.

    Turner 5-spot
    rider weight 220lbs

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtdbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    306

    Socal tires

    These are the current trail tires I'm using depending on the trail type, soil, rocks, conditions, distance, grade and other factors. There is no perfect allmountain tire.
    I like tires that hook-up versus super light and roll fast. I really like these Kenda Nevgal 2.5 single caps for a light DH/FR tire and soft sandy conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    aka Willy Vanilly
    Reputation: will8250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    484
    Would you mind explaining which tires you use for which conditions?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

    sXe

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtdbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by will8250
    Would you mind explaining which tires you use for which conditions?
    Studed Nokian tire work great for hot summer asphalt and bloody 4X race battles.

    Hutchison Pythons work good on Ice, deep sand, and steep chutes.

    The rest is highly classified.

  23. #23
    Unshaven Yak
    Reputation: Stinky Wiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    503

    Another vote for IRC Trailbears

    I currently alternate between 2.25 IRC Trailbears, 2.3 Conti Verticals & Hutchinson Pytons (for the easy & flat stuff).

    The Trailbears hold up to the highspeed runs through rockgardens & dusty conditions on some trails, while the Conti's are going on tomorrow for a total singletrack, creek run. The conditions are perfect for those sharp little knobs right now (moist-tacky).

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    186
    i've been using a kenda cortez on the back wheel, and it's great. it's like a karma but with a much larger casing (2.4), some taller knobs, and some support between the knobs. even on some sandier/slightly muddy rides (mendenhall ridge after the rain), it didn't pack up with mud and held it's cornering ability. on the front i use a mutanoraptor 2.24, and it's been there forever. when it wears down i'll either replace it or try a kenda blue groove or a tioga yellow kirin (or all 3).

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    520

    Thanks For The Replies!

    Quote Originally Posted by will8250
    Would you mind explaining which tires you use for which conditions?

    Since I posted this, I have been riding alot more different trails in the Thousand Oaks area. And, I have been encountering alot more challenging and changing terrain. Also, I got my 2003 Hollowpoint Expert rolling and the tires on them (Maxxis Larsen TT's UST) have be awesome! The things weigh more than the IRC mythos that are on my hardtail, but they seem to roll better over everything (hardpack and loose stuff). I also have been talking to some guys on the trail and alot of people are using Hutchinson Pythons. I'm going to keep the Larsen's on the Hollowpoint but I just ordered some Pythons for the HT and see how well they do. Thanks Again for all of your posts!

  26. #26
    Scooter
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    12

    Cool-blue Rhythm I live in Newbury Park

    I have been riding the local T.O hills since the late 80's. Tried many different types of tires, but I have to agree that the Panaracer XC is the ultimate tire for our area. See ya in the hills..

    SLP

  27. #27
    Steamroller
    Reputation: Mattman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,217

    I second the vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Grampa
    ... or some other multi-condition tire. I've been using the Fires for several years, and haven't found anything better for general use in SoCal. At certain times of year, in certain places, a specific condition tire will do better. But overall, it's hard to beat Fire XCs.

    My in-laws live in Waukegan, IL, and the riding in Lake Co/northern Cook Co is completely differnt from SoCal - and yes, we have LOTS more climbing! There's a reason their called "mountain bikes," and I don't think you can truly experience that reason in (northern) Illinois!
    Fire XCs or Kenda Kharma are nice too.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

  28. #28
    Samsonite Tester
    Reputation: Evel Knievel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by AMike
    What do you all think of Weirwolf 2.5s? I put a pair on (rear facing backwards) and am really quite smitten with them. Have I reached nirvana or is this just a false peak in the path?
    These are the best for the most conditions. Rocky rough to rocky smooth and loose over hardpack, or sandy. Mud does not build up bad. They brake well and have great cornering hook up. They even roll pretty fast in ramped mode. Both front and rear in same ramped mode with 2.1r 2.1 or 2.3f for XC all mountain is confidence and feel for the whole bike cause the tread is consistent.Cornering never felt better. DH go for more rubbber like Maxxis Mobster , Minion , Highroller in 2.5 , 2.7.
    Last edited by Evel Knievel; 03-28-2004 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typos

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rollin'in'Zona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    970

    New question here. So which ones...?

    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    I have used the 2.1 & 2.35 Blue Groove and Nevegal's and they rule. Right now I have the 2.4 Cotez front and a 2.0 Karma DTC rear, very low rolling but awesome grip.
    Hey Red5,

    Say you had to make a choice between the 4 tires you listed - your only tires for all of eternity - which would you chose? Oh, and the riding in "eternity" is biased toward sharp rock, babyheads, and hills of loose squarish golfballs

    Thanks for the URL - nice touch!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rollin'in'Zona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    970

    Panaracer Fire FR Pro?

    What an excellent thread!

    Thanks to all providing input!

    Anyone have expereince with the Panaracer Fire FR Pro? The 2.4 seems to be a great combination of performance desogn and weight - for what it is.

    I read from one user somewhere that the rolling resistance is not good at all. I'm down to Kenda Blue Groove/Navegal (sp?), Tioga Yellow Kirin 2.3, or Motoraptor 2.4.

    Currently using IRC ElGato.

  31. #31
    You Are What You Is
    Reputation: P-Funk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona

    Anyone have expereince with the Panaracer Fire FR Pro? The 2.4 seems to be a great combination of performance desogn and weight - for what it is.

    I read from one user somewhere that the rolling resistance is not good at all. I'm down to Kenda Blue Groove/Navegal (sp?), Tioga Yellow Kirin 2.3, or Motoraptor 2.4.

    Currently using IRC ElGato.
    I've been running a Panaracer FR 2.4 for awhile and I love it. It's definitely a BIG tire. It's as big as some 2.7s. It probably weighs in around 800g but it grips well, tracks beautifully. I've been running the Panaracer in the front and a Maxxis Minion FR 2.35 on the rear and it's a great setup. The other three choices you're considering seem good also. I've had good experience with WTB tires, especially Motoraptors. I've been hearing good things about the Blue Grooves and Nevegals too.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    197

    What about Mutano Raptor Race 2.24

    Who uses Mutano Raptor Race 2.24??? I have this tire for the rear. It seems to get cut alot. I use Stan's so this is not good. Has anybody else made the same observation or is it just bad luck for me?

  33. #33
    Samsonite Tester
    Reputation: Evel Knievel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by r-kelly
    Who uses Mutano Raptor Race 2.24??? I have this tire for the rear. It seems to get cut alot. I use Stan's so this is not good. Has anybody else made the same observation or is it just bad luck for me?
    It's just you. Those are good tires for Stan's. Lagwagon went from Mutano's to some Maxxxis then back to Mutano's cause they work so well.

    Have you been ripping sidewalls on Main Divide , Trabuco , Rock-it or Rattlesnake ?
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

    There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14



  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    197
    Is this Softy?

  35. #35
    Mountain Bike Sensei
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    144
    I just switched over from Kenda Karma DTC 2.0 yesterday to Panaracer Fire XC Pro Kevlar 2.1. I will be hitting the trail with them for the first time tomorrow I will let you know if they stick any better in the loose stuff. I ride with a couple of guys that are on there first and second sets (DSDuke). So I thought I would give them a try. I love my Kenda Karma 's but I am a Clyde and need something with a little bigger knobs.

  36. #36
    Its only 1" on the map!
    Reputation: mtbbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Shoo Pork
    Since I posted this, I have been riding alot more different trails in the Thousand Oaks area. And, I have been encountering alot more challenging and changing terrain. Also, I got my 2003 Hollowpoint Expert rolling and the tires on them (Maxxis Larsen TT's UST) have be awesome! The things weigh more than the IRC mythos that are on my hardtail, but they seem to roll better over everything (hardpack and loose stuff). I also have been talking to some guys on the trail and alot of people are using Hutchinson Pythons. I'm going to keep the Larsen's on the Hollowpoint but I just ordered some Pythons for the HT and see how well they do. Thanks Again for all of your posts!
    I have the Larsen TTs as well (NON-UST) and they are great except when the trail is VERY loose dust/sand. The tire is exceptionally light and is quite large for 2.0

    Bill

  37. #37
    _
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    782

    2.35 Kenda Kinetics

    I just took off my stock Enduro tires a couple weeks ago, I borrowed a Mutano Raptor 2.4 for the front and a Velociraptor 2.2 (i think) for the rear from my friend. They seemed to work pretty good, the Velociraptor was great on the climbs.

    This past weekend I bought a set of KENDA KINETICS 2.35's with the STICK-E compound, I havent used them yet, but i'm going for a ride after work so I will be able to update this post this evening. My friend has used one on the rear and said he could notice a bit of rolling resistance. I'm hoping these things hook up well!

  38. #38
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    Hey Red5,

    Say you had to make a choice between the 4 tires you listed - your only tires for all of eternity - which would you chose? Oh, and the riding in "eternity" is biased toward sharp rock, babyheads, and hills of loose squarish golfballs

    Thanks for the URL - nice touch!
    Sorry for the late response. If I had to choose just one tire I'd go with the Blue Groove. Seriously the best tire I've ever ridden. Rolls fast, hooks up and come in Stick-E rubber.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rollin'in'Zona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    970

    Good job! Blue Groove / Nevegal combo rocks!

    This is the best tire combo I've ever used! BG front, Neve rear.

    Rolls fast, squarish profile, hooks up in corners, and sticky sticky sticky on slickrock!

    The conditions I ride are hardpack dirt (25%), hardpack gravel (25%), loose gravel (20%), slickrock (20%) and washes filled with cobbles, fine gravel/couarse sand (10%).

    I did use these tires up in the forest the other day and they were certainly acceptable in loose forest duff / pine needles at slower speeds, but I did not open it up because the knobs are shortish for this kind of terraine.

    For dry, deserty conditions, I can't imagine anything better!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    36

    Kenda Karma's and Fire Pro XC

    Quote Originally Posted by NappyT
    I just switched over from Kenda Karma DTC 2.0 yesterday to Panaracer Fire XC Pro Kevlar 2.1. I will be hitting the trail with them for the first time tomorrow I will let you know if they stick any better in the loose stuff. I ride with a couple of guys that are on there first and second sets (DSDuke). So I thought I would give them a try. I love my Kenda Karma 's but I am a Clyde and need something with a little bigger knobs.
    I would like to know how the Fire Pro's worked. I live and ride around TO. The Karmas came on my Blur and I switched them to tubless with Stans. Seem to hook up well. But I have friends with the Fire Pros that like them too, but Stans website says not to use Panaracers. So, how are the Fire Pros. What about Wierwolf tubless with Stans on Mavic 717 rims?

  41. #41
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcowboy
    I would like to know how the Fire Pro's worked. I live and ride around TO. The Karmas came on my Blur and I switched them to tubless with Stans. Seem to hook up well. But I have friends with the Fire Pros that like them too, but Stans website says not to use Panaracers. So, how are the Fire Pros. What about Wierwolf tubless with Stans on Mavic 717 rims?
    Fire XC Pro tires are good tires, hell just check the reviews. They used to some of the best tires made and I personally used/swore by them for 4-5 years. Until Kenda stepped up with a great line of XC tires offering better traction and less rolling resistance. Now I would not suggest the Fire's, they are a good design, but the rubber durometer used to make it is old skool. Don't be afraid to step away from the old tried and true to the superior new skool tires, you won't be sorry.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    520

    My 6 Months Worth of SoCa Riding

    Well,

    It officially has been six months since I hit my first singletrack here in SoCa. Since I originally posted I have tried the following tires:

    1) IRC Kevlar Mythos - Originally on GF Tass 02 HT
    2) Larsen TT UST 0 Came w/ 03 Expert Hollowpoint
    3) Non-UST Pythons w/ Stans Goop

    As I am not originally or native to SoCa and my only experience before was Chicago burb (Primarily Palos for you transpanted Cali folks) riding. I have two rides 1) GF 02 Tass completely tricked out and weighing in at 22 lbs. And, my newer ride, the Hollowpoint at 27 lbs w/ upgrades:

    Observation:

    IRC Mythos - my choice of tire back in Chicago burbs, but found they had a ton of rolling resistance compared to the Pythons and even the UST Larsens. But, they hooked up great on the really rocky, root infested stuff. Plus, w/ Stans, I only needed the floor pump to get the bead seated.

    UST Larsens - Nice tire, but after two months I climbing my arse outta Sycamore Canyon, and I heard a hiss. The side wall had sprung a leak! Thank Goodness for stans. Sealed up in seconds and made it back to Wendy Drive. Pressure was 20 psi when I got back versus 30 when I had left. (Free Stan's Advertising - Stan You are the Man!) I will say this tire excels going down steep rocky downhill sections.

    Non-UST Pythons - Before I begin, I now have this tire on both the HT and the Squishy. This tire kicks complete ass! It weighs approx. 80gm less per tire than the Mythos and 200 gm less per tire than the UST Larsens ( 400 gm total - That is more than 3/4 lb weight savings just in rotational weight!) I was worried at first because the tred pattern was shallower than the Mythos and that it would not grip on the rocky, rooted stuff. Was I wrong. On both the HT and Holllowpoint I can climb like a goat. I am also running lower tire pressure because of Stans (34 psi on back and 30 psi up front on both bikes) . These tires don't go downhill as fast as the Larsen's but better than the Mythos. Alot of the trails I ride go from tight singletrack to fireroads, this tire provides enough grip and decreased rolling resistance to make the the whole ride enjoyable. And, four months with Stan's has made me a true believer. No flats (The Larsen incident I don't include as flat because I did not have to put a tube in the rim) and running lower psi to grip like a Banshee.

  43. #43
    Trying to find Flow
    Reputation: Patchito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,514

    Another Python convert....good

    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Shoo Pork
    Well,

    It officially has been six months since I hit my first singletrack here in SoCa. Since I originally posted I have tried the following tires:

    1) IRC Kevlar Mythos - Originally on GF Tass 02 HT
    2) Larsen TT UST 0 Came w/ 03 Expert Hollowpoint
    3) Non-UST Pythons w/ Stans Goop

    As I am not originally or native to SoCa and my only experience before was Chicago burb (Primarily Palos for you transpanted Cali folks) riding. I have two rides 1) GF 02 Tass completely tricked out and weighing in at 22 lbs. And, my newer ride, the Hollowpoint at 27 lbs w/ upgrades:

    Observation:

    IRC Mythos - my choice of tire back in Chicago burbs, but found they had a ton of rolling resistance compared to the Pythons and even the UST Larsens. But, they hooked up great on the really rocky, root infested stuff. Plus, w/ Stans, I only needed the floor pump to get the bead seated.

    UST Larsens - Nice tire, but after two months I climbing my arse outta Sycamore Canyon, and I heard a hiss. The side wall had sprung a leak! Thank Goodness for stans. Sealed up in seconds and made it back to Wendy Drive. Pressure was 20 psi when I got back versus 30 when I had left. (Free Stan's Advertising - Stan You are the Man!) I will say this tire excels going down steep rocky downhill sections.

    Non-UST Pythons - Before I begin, I now have this tire on both the HT and the Squishy. This tire kicks complete ass! It weighs approx. 80gm less per tire than the Mythos and 200 gm less per tire than the UST Larsens ( 400 gm total - That is more than 3/4 lb weight savings just in rotational weight!) I was worried at first because the tred pattern was shallower than the Mythos and that it would not grip on the rocky, rooted stuff. Was I wrong. On both the HT and Holllowpoint I can climb like a goat. I am also running lower tire pressure because of Stans (34 psi on back and 30 psi up front on both bikes) . These tires don't go downhill as fast as the Larsen's but better than the Mythos. Alot of the trails I ride go from tight singletrack to fireroads, this tire provides enough grip and decreased rolling resistance to make the the whole ride enjoyable. And, four months with Stan's has made me a true believer. No flats (The Larsen incident I don't include as flat because I did not have to put a tube in the rim) and running lower psi to grip like a Banshee.
    Part of a good biking experience for me is having fast rolling tires that are light AND will grip on the loose, rocky, gravelly stuff we have here in SoCal. I'm a tire geek and try different combos but I keep coming back to the Pythons. Everyone gets excited about the Fire XCs, but they roll so sloooooow - I don't care for 'em. Mutano race 2.4 are ok up front, but I still go back to the Pythons. There isn't a lighter, quicker rolling tire with the air volume of a Python - it's a true 2.0, which is like 2.3 for other tires. There's just no substitute for air volume in the loose stuff. I'm thinking I might try some Schwalb Racing Ralphs in 2.3 next.

  44. #44
    _
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    782
    Here is an update to my earlier Kenda Kinetics 2.35 Stick-E post. After a brief ride on wednesday evening and a 16 mile ride on sunday, i found these tires to grip VERY well. The downside of course is the slower overall ride, a bit of rolling resistance. I found myself needing to pedal in certain areas of the singletrack that my momentum would normally carry me through. On the steeper climbs, the gripped awesome, but again, felt a tad sluggish, made me feel like i was towing a trailer. The downhills were great, I leaned a little harder into the turns that I would normally stay a bit more upright on.

    All in all, it wasn't a bad tire choice. I may give them another ride on a different trail and see what happens. In the long run I think I may throw a WTB Velociraptor on the rear and leave the Kenda Kinetics on up front. If only WTB made a 2.3 Velociraptor!!!!!

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rollin'in'Zona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    970
    Patchito, have you tried the Blue Groove / Nevegal combination yet? Based on the criteria you listed above, I would HIGHLY suggest a go around with these!



    Quote Originally Posted by Patchito
    Part of a good biking experience for me is having fast rolling tires that are light AND will grip on the loose, rocky, gravelly stuff we have here in SoCal. I'm a tire geek and try different combos but I keep coming back to the Pythons. Everyone gets excited about the Fire XCs, but they roll so sloooooow - I don't care for 'em. Mutano race 2.4 are ok up front, but I still go back to the Pythons. There isn't a lighter, quicker rolling tire with the air volume of a Python - it's a true 2.0, which is like 2.3 for other tires. There's just no substitute for air volume in the loose stuff. I'm thinking I might try some Schwalb Racing Ralphs in 2.3 next.

Similar Threads

  1. why are wheels and 'spinning weight' important?
    By yellowwducky in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 09:57 PM
  2. Why have big (2.2"+) tires become so popular for trail bikes?
    By Backmarker in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 05:05 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 01:01 PM
  4. Mounting UST tires for first time...need help.
    By BrandonAggsMntnBk in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 10:09 AM
  5. good tires?
    By Duncan in forum Turner
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 12:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •