Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best tires For SoCa Singletrack

6K views 44 replies 31 participants last post by  Rollin'in'Zona 
#1 ·
I just moved to SoCa and my Hardttail and my new FS bike are set up with pretty aggressive tread (HT - IRC Mythos, Hollowpoint - Larssen Maxxis). Anyway, I love the trails here! But, I am use to riding more rooted, wet muddy stuff back Illinois. And, my Mythos hooked up great! But, now, most of the singletrack I encounter is hardpack (but a ton more climbing in CA) Anyway, what do you guys use for your tire of choice? For my hardtail, I am going to covnert to Stan No-Tubes and my Hollowpoint has UST rims. I am into going fast (but not racer fast) but still want control on turns and downhill. Should I go with a semi-slick her in SoCa?

Thanks for all of your responses!

#27 ·
I second the vote

Grampa said:
... or some other multi-condition tire. I've been using the Fires for several years, and haven't found anything better for general use in SoCal. At certain times of year, in certain places, a specific condition tire will do better. But overall, it's hard to beat Fire XCs.

My in-laws live in Waukegan, IL, and the riding in Lake Co/northern Cook Co is completely differnt from SoCal - and yes, we have LOTS more climbing! There's a reason their called "mountain bikes," and I don't think you can truly experience that reason in (northern) Illinois!
Fire XCs or Kenda Kharma are nice too.

#28 · (Edited)
AMike said:
What do you all think of Weirwolf 2.5s? I put a pair on (rear facing backwards) and am really quite smitten with them. Have I reached nirvana or is this just a false peak in the path?
These are the best for the most conditions. Rocky rough to rocky smooth and loose over hardpack, or sandy. Mud does not build up bad. They brake well and have great cornering hook up. They even roll pretty fast in ramped mode. Both front and rear in same ramped mode with 2.1r 2.1 or 2.3f for XC all mountain is confidence and feel for the whole bike cause the tread is consistent.Cornering never felt better. DH go for more rubbber like Maxxis Mobster , Minion , Highroller in 2.5 , 2.7.

#29 ·
So which ones...?

red5 said:
I have used the 2.1 & 2.35 Blue Groove and Nevegal's and they rule. Right now I have the 2.4 Cotez front and a 2.0 Karma DTC rear, very low rolling but awesome grip.
Hey Red5,

Say you had to make a choice between the 4 tires you listed - your only tires for all of eternity - which would you chose? Oh, and the riding in "eternity" is biased toward sharp rock, babyheads, and hills of loose squarish golfballs :D

Thanks for the URL - nice touch!

#30 ·
Panaracer Fire FR Pro?

What an excellent thread!:D

Thanks to all providing input!

Anyone have expereince with the Panaracer Fire FR Pro? The 2.4 seems to be a great combination of performance desogn and weight - for what it is.

I read from one user somewhere that the rolling resistance is not good at all. I'm down to Kenda Blue Groove/Navegal (sp?), Tioga Yellow Kirin 2.3, or Motoraptor 2.4.

Currently using IRC ElGato.

#31 ·
Rollin'in'Zona said:
Anyone have expereince with the Panaracer Fire FR Pro? The 2.4 seems to be a great combination of performance desogn and weight - for what it is.

I read from one user somewhere that the rolling resistance is not good at all. I'm down to Kenda Blue Groove/Navegal (sp?), Tioga Yellow Kirin 2.3, or Motoraptor 2.4.

Currently using IRC ElGato.
I've been running a Panaracer FR 2.4 for awhile and I love it. It's definitely a BIG tire. It's as big as some 2.7s. It probably weighs in around 800g but it grips well, tracks beautifully. I've been running the Panaracer in the front and a Maxxis Minion FR 2.35 on the rear and it's a great setup. The other three choices you're considering seem good also. I've had good experience with WTB tires, especially Motoraptors. I've been hearing good things about the Blue Grooves and Nevegals too.

#33 ·
r-kelly said:
Who uses Mutano Raptor Race 2.24??? I have this tire for the rear. It seems to get cut alot. I use Stan's so this is not good. Has anybody else made the same observation or is it just bad luck for me?
It's just you. Those are good tires for Stan's. Lagwagon went from Mutano's to some Maxxxis then back to Mutano's cause they work so well.

Have you been ripping sidewalls on Main Divide , Trabuco , Rock-it or Rattlesnake ?

#35 ·
I just switched over from Kenda Karma DTC 2.0 yesterday to Panaracer Fire XC Pro Kevlar 2.1. I will be hitting the trail with them for the first time tomorrow I will let you know if they stick any better in the loose stuff. I ride with a couple of guys that are on there first and second sets (DSDuke). So I thought I would give them a try. I love my Kenda Karma 's but I am a Clyde and need something with a little bigger knobs.

#36 ·
Moo Shoo Pork said:
Since I posted this, I have been riding alot more different trails in the Thousand Oaks area. And, I have been encountering alot more challenging and changing terrain. Also, I got my 2003 Hollowpoint Expert rolling and the tires on them (Maxxis Larsen TT's UST) have be awesome! The things weigh more than the IRC mythos that are on my hardtail, but they seem to roll better over everything (hardpack and loose stuff). I also have been talking to some guys on the trail and alot of people are using Hutchinson Pythons. I'm going to keep the Larsen's on the Hollowpoint but I just ordered some Pythons for the HT and see how well they do. Thanks Again for all of your posts!
I have the Larsen TTs as well (NON-UST) and they are great except when the trail is VERY loose dust/sand. The tire is exceptionally light and is quite large for 2.0

Bill

#37 ·
2.35 Kenda Kinetics

I just took off my stock Enduro tires a couple weeks ago, I borrowed a Mutano Raptor 2.4 for the front and a Velociraptor 2.2 (i think) for the rear from my friend. They seemed to work pretty good, the Velociraptor was great on the climbs.

This past weekend I bought a set of KENDA KINETICS 2.35's with the STICK-E compound, I havent used them yet, but i'm going for a ride after work so I will be able to update this post this evening. My friend has used one on the rear and said he could notice a bit of rolling resistance. I'm hoping these things hook up well!

#38 ·
Rollin'in'Zona said:
Hey Red5,

Say you had to make a choice between the 4 tires you listed - your only tires for all of eternity - which would you chose? Oh, and the riding in "eternity" is biased toward sharp rock, babyheads, and hills of loose squarish golfballs :D

Thanks for the URL - nice touch!
Sorry for the late response. If I had to choose just one tire I'd go with the Blue Groove. Seriously the best tire I've ever ridden. Rolls fast, hooks up and come in Stick-E rubber.

#39 ·
Blue Groove / Nevegal combo rocks!

This is the best tire combo I've ever used! BG front, Neve rear.

Rolls fast, squarish profile, hooks up in corners, and sticky sticky sticky on slickrock!

The conditions I ride are hardpack dirt (25%), hardpack gravel (25%), loose gravel (20%), slickrock (20%) and washes filled with cobbles, fine gravel/couarse sand (10%).

I did use these tires up in the forest the other day and they were certainly acceptable in loose forest duff / pine needles at slower speeds, but I did not open it up because the knobs are shortish for this kind of terraine.

For dry, deserty conditions, I can't imagine anything better! :cool:

#40 ·
Kenda Karma's and Fire Pro XC

NappyT said:
I just switched over from Kenda Karma DTC 2.0 yesterday to Panaracer Fire XC Pro Kevlar 2.1. I will be hitting the trail with them for the first time tomorrow I will let you know if they stick any better in the loose stuff. I ride with a couple of guys that are on there first and second sets (DSDuke). So I thought I would give them a try. I love my Kenda Karma 's but I am a Clyde and need something with a little bigger knobs.
I would like to know how the Fire Pro's worked. I live and ride around TO. The Karmas came on my Blur and I switched them to tubless with Stans. Seem to hook up well. But I have friends with the Fire Pros that like them too, but Stans website says not to use Panaracers. So, how are the Fire Pros. What about Wierwolf tubless with Stans on Mavic 717 rims?

#41 ·
jdcowboy said:
I would like to know how the Fire Pro's worked. I live and ride around TO. The Karmas came on my Blur and I switched them to tubless with Stans. Seem to hook up well. But I have friends with the Fire Pros that like them too, but Stans website says not to use Panaracers. So, how are the Fire Pros. What about Wierwolf tubless with Stans on Mavic 717 rims?
Fire XC Pro tires are good tires, hell just check the reviews. They used to some of the best tires made and I personally used/swore by them for 4-5 years. Until Kenda stepped up with a great line of XC tires offering better traction and less rolling resistance. Now I would not suggest the Fire's, they are a good design, but the rubber durometer used to make it is old skool. Don't be afraid to step away from the old tried and true to the superior new skool tires, you won't be sorry.

#42 ·
My 6 Months Worth of SoCa Riding

Well,

It officially has been six months since I hit my first singletrack here in SoCa. Since I originally posted I have tried the following tires:

1) IRC Kevlar Mythos - Originally on GF Tass 02 HT
2) Larsen TT UST 0 Came w/ 03 Expert Hollowpoint
3) Non-UST Pythons w/ Stans Goop

As I am not originally or native to SoCa and my only experience before was Chicago burb (Primarily Palos for you transpanted Cali folks) riding. I have two rides 1) GF 02 Tass completely tricked out and weighing in at 22 lbs. And, my newer ride, the Hollowpoint at 27 lbs w/ upgrades:

Observation:

IRC Mythos - my choice of tire back in Chicago burbs, but found they had a ton of rolling resistance compared to the Pythons and even the UST Larsens. But, they hooked up great on the really rocky, root infested stuff. Plus, w/ Stans, I only needed the floor pump to get the bead seated.

UST Larsens - Nice tire, but after two months I climbing my arse outta Sycamore Canyon, and I heard a hiss. The side wall had sprung a leak! Thank Goodness for stans. Sealed up in seconds and made it back to Wendy Drive. Pressure was 20 psi when I got back versus 30 when I had left. (Free Stan's Advertising - Stan You are the Man!) I will say this tire excels going down steep rocky downhill sections.

Non-UST Pythons - Before I begin, I now have this tire on both the HT and the Squishy. This tire kicks complete ass! It weighs approx. 80gm less per tire than the Mythos and 200 gm less per tire than the UST Larsens ( 400 gm total - That is more than 3/4 lb weight savings just in rotational weight!) I was worried at first because the tred pattern was shallower than the Mythos and that it would not grip on the rocky, rooted stuff. Was I wrong. On both the HT and Holllowpoint I can climb like a goat. I am also running lower tire pressure because of Stans (34 psi on back and 30 psi up front on both bikes) . These tires don't go downhill as fast as the Larsen's but better than the Mythos. Alot of the trails I ride go from tight singletrack to fireroads, this tire provides enough grip and decreased rolling resistance to make the the whole ride enjoyable. And, four months with Stan's has made me a true believer. No flats (The Larsen incident I don't include as flat because I did not have to put a tube in the rim) and running lower psi to grip like a Banshee.

#43 ·
Another Python convert....good

Moo Shoo Pork said:
Well,

It officially has been six months since I hit my first singletrack here in SoCa. Since I originally posted I have tried the following tires:

1) IRC Kevlar Mythos - Originally on GF Tass 02 HT
2) Larsen TT UST 0 Came w/ 03 Expert Hollowpoint
3) Non-UST Pythons w/ Stans Goop

As I am not originally or native to SoCa and my only experience before was Chicago burb (Primarily Palos for you transpanted Cali folks) riding. I have two rides 1) GF 02 Tass completely tricked out and weighing in at 22 lbs. And, my newer ride, the Hollowpoint at 27 lbs w/ upgrades:

Observation:

IRC Mythos - my choice of tire back in Chicago burbs, but found they had a ton of rolling resistance compared to the Pythons and even the UST Larsens. But, they hooked up great on the really rocky, root infested stuff. Plus, w/ Stans, I only needed the floor pump to get the bead seated.

UST Larsens - Nice tire, but after two months I climbing my arse outta Sycamore Canyon, and I heard a hiss. The side wall had sprung a leak! Thank Goodness for stans. Sealed up in seconds and made it back to Wendy Drive. Pressure was 20 psi when I got back versus 30 when I had left. (Free Stan's Advertising - Stan You are the Man!) I will say this tire excels going down steep rocky downhill sections.

Non-UST Pythons - Before I begin, I now have this tire on both the HT and the Squishy. This tire kicks complete ass! It weighs approx. 80gm less per tire than the Mythos and 200 gm less per tire than the UST Larsens ( 400 gm total - That is more than 3/4 lb weight savings just in rotational weight!) I was worried at first because the tred pattern was shallower than the Mythos and that it would not grip on the rocky, rooted stuff. Was I wrong. On both the HT and Holllowpoint I can climb like a goat. I am also running lower tire pressure because of Stans (34 psi on back and 30 psi up front on both bikes) . These tires don't go downhill as fast as the Larsen's but better than the Mythos. Alot of the trails I ride go from tight singletrack to fireroads, this tire provides enough grip and decreased rolling resistance to make the the whole ride enjoyable. And, four months with Stan's has made me a true believer. No flats (The Larsen incident I don't include as flat because I did not have to put a tube in the rim) and running lower psi to grip like a Banshee.
Part of a good biking experience for me is having fast rolling tires that are light AND will grip on the loose, rocky, gravelly stuff we have here in SoCal. I'm a tire geek and try different combos but I keep coming back to the Pythons. Everyone gets excited about the Fire XCs, but they roll so sloooooow - I don't care for 'em. Mutano race 2.4 are ok up front, but I still go back to the Pythons. There isn't a lighter, quicker rolling tire with the air volume of a Python - it's a true 2.0, which is like 2.3 for other tires. There's just no substitute for air volume in the loose stuff. I'm thinking I might try some Schwalb Racing Ralphs in 2.3 next.

#44 ·
Here is an update to my earlier Kenda Kinetics 2.35 Stick-E post. After a brief ride on wednesday evening and a 16 mile ride on sunday, i found these tires to grip VERY well. The downside of course is the slower overall ride, a bit of rolling resistance. I found myself needing to pedal in certain areas of the singletrack that my momentum would normally carry me through. On the steeper climbs, the gripped awesome, but again, felt a tad sluggish, made me feel like i was towing a trailer. The downhills were great, I leaned a little harder into the turns that I would normally stay a bit more upright on.

All in all, it wasn't a bad tire choice. I may give them another ride on a different trail and see what happens. In the long run I think I may throw a WTB Velociraptor on the rear and leave the Kenda Kinetics on up front. If only WTB made a 2.3 Velociraptor!!!!!

#45 ·
Patchito, have you tried the Blue Groove / Nevegal combination yet? Based on the criteria you listed above, I would HIGHLY suggest a go around with these!

Patchito said:
Part of a good biking experience for me is having fast rolling tires that are light AND will grip on the loose, rocky, gravelly stuff we have here in SoCal. I'm a tire geek and try different combos but I keep coming back to the Pythons. Everyone gets excited about the Fire XCs, but they roll so sloooooow - I don't care for 'em. Mutano race 2.4 are ok up front, but I still go back to the Pythons. There isn't a lighter, quicker rolling tire with the air volume of a Python - it's a true 2.0, which is like 2.3 for other tires. There's just no substitute for air volume in the loose stuff. I'm thinking I might try some Schwalb Racing Ralphs in 2.3 next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.