Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Best tire for So Cals dry dusty conditions?

Hey guys. I've noticed that the factory tires that came on my Rocky Mountain Vertex 29er seem to be somewhat lacking in the traction department at times and I'm looking for some suggestions for So Cals dry, dusty trails.
    Some days I want to kick my own A$$ twice.

official eMpTyBRain
    I know somebody who recently mounted a Kenda Nevegal on the front of his 29er and he seemed happy with the traction improvement.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I haven't swapped the tires that came stock on my 29er but I've put WTB Velociraptor's on my 26" & it made a world of difference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I really like the Maxxis Ardent 2.4, but it is kinda of big and heavy, but it rolls fast.
    I think you really cannot go wrong with the Specialized Captain Control 2.0 or 2.2. It is a fast rolling tire, but has tons of grip, and is really easy to ride. Sets up tubeless really well.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    I really like the Maxxis Ardent 2.4, but it is kinda of big and heavy, but it rolls fast.
    I think you really cannot go wrong with the Specialized Captain Control 2.0 or 2.2. It is a fast rolling tire, but has tons of grip, and is really easy to ride. Sets up tubeless really well.
    I haven't had the same success with the Captains that came stock on my 29er unless I run real low pressures.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What they said. I've used the Captains and like them but I like the Renegades too. I've also used the Kenda SB8 and had no problems with it either.

mtbr member
    It really depends on how much of a weight weenie you are.

If weight isn't a concern, then a Maxxis Ardent/Ignitor combo is hard to beat for grip and durability. Rampage is another good front tire choice in this range.

If you want something lighter, I've had good luck with a Schwalbe racing ralph front and Maxxis Ikon rear. No way it can compare to the heavy tires above in terms of grip, but they the setup works surprisingly well.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    I don't think there is any "one" tire that is "better or worse" for use on SoCal dry trails. Use ANY tire, just deflate to a lower PSI for better traction in the "loose stuff".

Works for me (Maxxis Ignitors as of most recent). Now, after 20+ years mtn biking, I can say I have tried just about every tire (1.95 to 2.35 size) out there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I like exiwolf's in the back and panaracer rampage in the front

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Another vote for the Specialized Captain Control, even better 2bliss at about 28psi.

About the only 29er tire I really didn't like was the Continental Mtn King - seemed maybe it was made for wetter rooty conditions like the NW/NE. Could have also just been user error.

It ain't easy being Green
    Got my first 29er in August, I ride it almost every day. Geax Seguaros are working really well for me, the TNT 2.2" version running tubeless on Flow rims @ 28 pounds. They hook up much better than the SB8's on my 26er, on the same trails.
    Buddy of mine runs Captains, he spends time most rides fixing sidewall tears...
    FWIW.

mtbr member
    I'm rocking Geax's Sagauaro front/back, I run them about 25-30lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    I know somebody who recently mounted a Kenda Nevegal on the front of his 29er and he seemed happy with the traction improvement.
    I can confirm this I like having something with a little better rolling resistance on the back, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Tires for SoCal

I had the same question back when I moved out here from the Midwest, where I rode in mud and snow and the occasional dry summer dirt. I found that my heavy aggressive tires weren't necessary out here, and made the long climbs much worse. I've been running less aggressive tires for the last couple of years, like Hutchinson Barricudas and similar. I'd get a pair of Small Block 8s because they look ideal, with lots of small gripping surfaces but no large gaps to create rolling resistance, but I refuse to spend $30 on a bicycle tire. If you go up to Big Bear or any other spot with soft loose dirt then I'd put the Nevegals or some other meaty tire on. For Backbone or Cheesebro I do fine with faster models.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I ride a SC Tallboy 29er. Best set-up I ever used is the Schwabe Nobby Nic on the front and Racing Ralph on the back. RR was great at first but didn't last 1/2 as long as NN and they are spendy as well. I've also had great experiences with Geax Saguaros and I'm currently trying out the Panaracer 'CG' model that are so highly spoken of in the tire forum. I like them more and more each ride. I've got (2) friends that run the Small Block 8's and love them down here in San Diego.

I ran Kenda Nevagal's on my other bikes and thought they were fine until I tried all the newer, less aggressive tread patterns mentioned above. In comparison, Nevegals SUCK in *my* opinion. I wouldn't use them again if they were free.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Specialized Purgatory 29

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    Schwabe Fat Alberts 2.4" came on my Yeti ASR 7 and have served me well. I have WTB 2.1 Velociraptors on my hard tail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Running Purgatory up front with the new Specialized Ground Controls in the back. Great combo that is slightly overkill during the middle of summer but perfect for this time of year when the occasional shower makes the trails sticky.

Life Is Short
    Kenda small block eights
    Ride More, Eat More

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have an all mountain bike but I run a 2.5 dh muddy Mary tubeless on my front and a 2.25 rocket Ron on my rear... There is a noticeable weight difference on the bike with the 2.5 but the traction I get is unreal... I also upgraded my wheels to the Easton havens so that saves me on some weight from the stock wheel

Trail Ninja
    Micro knob tires like the Maxxis Ikons really shine on dry dusty hardpack. I'm super impressed by Maxxis Ikons.

Captains work alright, but the last time I took them to San Juan, they'd get squirrelly when on the brakes and that made me take them off. Unstable braking is not what I want, especially when there's exposure.

Agreed on the Mountain Kings. Those things are super sketchy. They slip sideways waaaay too easily in dry dusty conditions. They make the Captains look tame when braking too... these things seem to be intent at making your front wash out if you try to brake before a turn on a descent.

Panaracer CG XCs are a nice all arounder that I like better than Nevegals. Great lateral grip. Paired with a good stiff wheelset, they let you use the entire trail, no matter if it's rocky, rutted, or whatever. They just stick. Very high quality tires.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 11-04-2011 at 03:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I run a Geax Saguaro on the front, and Geax AKA on the rear.

I have also had good luck with a Maxxis IKON on the Front, and a Maxxis CrossMark on the rear.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Got to agree RE the Geax. Those Saguaros are one of the best tracking tires I've used in a while. Ran them at 32psi.

They are also very soft and wear out (or did for me) very quick. . . . thus I am back to my 2nd best tire the Ignitors by Maxxis. Seem to last 2x as long!
    Last edited by CEB; 11-12-2011 at 06:46 PM.

high plains drifter
    yep nevegal 2.35 wears out fast
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best tire for So Cals dry dusty conditions?-187.jpg  

Best tire for So Cals dry dusty conditions?-img_1009-800x600-.jpg  

Last edited by mateoway; 11-12-2011 at 03:08 PM.
    Humble self-proclaimed nothing.

b a n n e d
    Whoa . . . did you stack all those rocks?? Creeeeeeepy.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast