Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best tire for So Cals dry dusty conditions?

58K views 345 replies 107 participants last post by  kragu 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I've noticed that the factory tires that came on my Rocky Mountain Vertex 29er seem to be somewhat lacking in the traction department at times and I'm looking for some suggestions for So Cals dry, dusty trails.

#4 ·
I really like the Maxxis Ardent 2.4, but it is kinda of big and heavy, but it rolls fast.
I think you really cannot go wrong with the Specialized Captain Control 2.0 or 2.2. It is a fast rolling tire, but has tons of grip, and is really easy to ride. Sets up tubeless really well.

#7 ·
It really depends on how much of a weight weenie you are.

If weight isn't a concern, then a Maxxis Ardent/Ignitor combo is hard to beat for grip and durability. Rampage is another good front tire choice in this range.

If you want something lighter, I've had good luck with a Schwalbe racing ralph front and Maxxis Ikon rear. No way it can compare to the heavy tires above in terms of grip, but they the setup works surprisingly well.

#8 ·
I don't think there is any "one" tire that is "better or worse" for use on SoCal dry trails. Use ANY tire, just deflate to a lower PSI for better traction in the "loose stuff".

Works for me (Maxxis Ignitors as of most recent). Now, after 20+ years mtn biking, I can say I have tried just about every tire (1.95 to 2.35 size) out there!

#11 ·
Got my first 29er in August, I ride it almost every day. Geax Seguaros are working really well for me, the TNT 2.2" version running tubeless on Flow rims @ 28 pounds. They hook up much better than the SB8's on my 26er, on the same trails.
Buddy of mine runs Captains, he spends time most rides fixing sidewall tears...
FWIW.

#14 ·
Tires for SoCal

I had the same question back when I moved out here from the Midwest, where I rode in mud and snow and the occasional dry summer dirt. I found that my heavy aggressive tires weren't necessary out here, and made the long climbs much worse. I've been running less aggressive tires for the last couple of years, like Hutchinson Barricudas and similar. I'd get a pair of Small Block 8s because they look ideal, with lots of small gripping surfaces but no large gaps to create rolling resistance, but I refuse to spend $30 on a bicycle tire. If you go up to Big Bear or any other spot with soft loose dirt then I'd put the Nevegals or some other meaty tire on. For Backbone or Cheesebro I do fine with faster models.

#15 ·
I ride a SC Tallboy 29er. Best set-up I ever used is the Schwabe Nobby Nic on the front and Racing Ralph on the back. RR was great at first but didn't last 1/2 as long as NN and they are spendy as well. I've also had great experiences with Geax Saguaros and I'm currently trying out the Panaracer 'CG' model that are so highly spoken of in the tire forum. I like them more and more each ride. I've got (2) friends that run the Small Block 8's and love them down here in San Diego.

I ran Kenda Nevagal's on my other bikes and thought they were fine until I tried all the newer, less aggressive tread patterns mentioned above. In comparison, Nevegals SUCK in *my* opinion. I wouldn't use them again if they were free.

#20 ·
I have an all mountain bike but I run a 2.5 dh muddy Mary tubeless on my front and a 2.25 rocket Ron on my rear... There is a noticeable weight difference on the bike with the 2.5 but the traction I get is unreal... I also upgraded my wheels to the Easton havens so that saves me on some weight from the stock wheel

#21 · (Edited)
Micro knob tires like the Maxxis Ikons really shine on dry dusty hardpack. I'm super impressed by Maxxis Ikons.

Captains work alright, but the last time I took them to San Juan, they'd get squirrelly when on the brakes and that made me take them off. Unstable braking is not what I want, especially when there's exposure.

Agreed on the Mountain Kings. Those things are super sketchy. They slip sideways waaaay too easily in dry dusty conditions. They make the Captains look tame when braking too... these things seem to be intent at making your front wash out if you try to brake before a turn on a descent.

Panaracer CG XCs are a nice all arounder that I like better than Nevegals. Great lateral grip. Paired with a good stiff wheelset, they let you use the entire trail, no matter if it's rocky, rutted, or whatever. They just stick. Very high quality tires.

#31 ·
I put tubeless Schwalbe nobby nic (F) and racing ralph (R) on my RIP9 and got exactly one ride in before the rain started. So far so good - but I need a few more rides before I can vouch for the combo. I will say that it felt faster than the Ingnitor/Captain Control combo I had before.

The Specialized combo of purgatory (F) and control (R) 2bliss will be the next combo I try. I hear good things about them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.