Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    Yep, it gets crazy with all the choices. The 4s you have are sweet. Try a 2.3 or 2.35 (depending if you have a 26 or 29) on the front. This will give you front end cornering security. Put a 3 on back--it's lighter, faster, a little less aggro than the 4 but will climb great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    After diggin through 8 pages of suggestions, I feel more lost than when I started. Right now I have the factory XR4's on my Fuel EX6. I ride alot around the San Diego areo primarily including Hollenbeck, Anderson Truck Trail and sometimes around Otay Lake. A majority of the trail surface is packed, dry dirt with a few loose rocks. I want something that can hold in the corners at higher speeds but not add too much weight on the big climbs.

Right now I am leaning towards a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent in the front and a 2.1 Kenda Nevegal in the rear. I have even been considering the Schwalbe Nobby Nics that I have read about numerous times in here in a 2.4 and 2.25 setup. Any feedback or something you reccomend that I look into?

b a n n e d
    I had a nice long post typed out then my computer crashed.

The short of it: I'll never run a Schwalbe tire in the rear again. Lasted less than 2 months. My Hans Dampf, however, is the best front tire I've ever run.

I'll be throwing a Conti Trail King or Specialized Ground Control on to replace the Nobby Nic. I have experience with WTB Moto's (I'd give them a B- . . . . just a hair above Average) and WTB Bronson's which were pretty great tires.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had Schwalbe hans front and rear on my enduro and muddy Mary's on glory. Unfortunately I can't commentbon wear and longevity cause I've been running the hans a short time. The muddy Mary's are downhill tires and if I can get a season out them I'll be happy.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Nevegal is a decent front tire, but unless you need lots of rear tire grip, I wouldn't run one on the back. Too slow rolling, and there are tires that grip better and roll better too, like (if you're on 26" wheels) the 2.2" Kenda Telonix for just one example. Cut the little round side knobs off of a Maxxis Crossmark, and they make a decent rear tire that is lighweight, and rolls very well. the Specialized Ground Control is also a very good rear tire (get the Control version, not the S-Works [sidewalls too thin on the S-Works]). Honestly, as long as you're not running something skimpy like a Small Block 8, there are loads of tires that will work just fine as a rear tire. I would avoid tires that have soft, very large side knobs here because they get squirmy on the hard pack turns. they're great when you have soft hero dirt, but we don't get that much during the summer.

JMHO.

mtbr member
    My Nevegals are awesome. Yeah, they aren't the fastest tire in the world, but man do those things rail the turns. Couldn't be happier

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    After diggin through 8 pages of suggestions, I feel more lost than when I started. Right now I have the factory XR4's on my Fuel EX6. I ride alot around the San Diego areo primarily including Hollenbeck, Anderson Truck Trail and sometimes around Otay Lake. A majority of the trail surface is packed, dry dirt with a few loose rocks. I want something that can hold in the corners at higher speeds but not add too much weight on the big climbs.

Right now I am leaning towards a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent in the front and a 2.1 Kenda Nevegal in the rear. I have even been considering the Schwalbe Nobby Nics that I have read about numerous times in here in a 2.4 and 2.25 setup. Any feedback or something you reccomend that I look into?
    The tire setup you are leaning towards right now is the one that I have used with great satisfaction on San Diego area trails for the last few years.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have been leaning towards the Ground Controls but they haven't released the 26x2.3 yet which is what I would like to run up front with a 2.1 in the rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have been leaning towards the Ground Controls but they haven't released the 26x2.3 yet which is what I would like to run up front with a 2.1 in the rear.
    I take that back. Was looking at them yesterday and they weren't available but they must have released them today. Going to order a 2.3 and 2.1. We will see how they are compared to the XR4s. Worse case I just rotate the XR4 to the rear and pick up a larger front tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

i just started riding this year and have a '13 fuel 7... it came with 2.2 xr3s front and rear.

i never felt confident with those tires.

i was reading the reviews here on mtbr.com on the xr4 and a reviewer suggested running an xr4 in the front and an xr1 in the rear.

so, i did that but upgraded the front to a 2.3 and kept the 2.2 size in the rear.

i really like that combo!!!

i am pretty sure i do not ride as hard as you - lol - but i feel way better on the bike now

joel

mtbr member
    No one can tell you what tire will work for you. There's to many variables. The best thing to do is narrow it down to a few set ups and find out what works for you by trial and error. And even then you may find out that something completely different works better.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JAvendan View Post
    i was reading the reviews here on mtbr.com on the xr4 and a reviewer suggested running an xr4 in the front and an xr1 in the rear.
    Might check that out later since they are available locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    No one can tell you what tire will work for you. There's to many variables. The best thing to do is narrow it down to a few set ups and find out what works for you by trial and error. And even then you may find out that something completely different works better.
    That is kind of what I am starting to realize. We will see how those ground controls work. Gonna order an extra XR4 in 2.3 just in case though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I just put the new Kenda Honey Badger's on my Sir9 fully rigid SS. I have to say, OMG! these tires not only have amazing traction in this SoCal sandy covered rocks condition. It also gives me a nice cushy feel. I run them at 28psi but that's because I haven't gone tubeless with them yet. The high volume tire with durable sidewalls are begging to be Stanzed.

mtbr member
    Ardent 2.4 in front
    Highroller 2.35 in back

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    This is unfortunately the truth . . . . and with how expensive tires are, it can be an expensive search. My gut tells me its like trying to find the perfect pillow . . . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Best tire for So Cals dry dusty conditions?

Decided against ordering a full new set and moved my 2.2 xr4 to the rear and picked up a 2.35 xr4 for the front. Let me just say its a day and night difference! Pita to mount the team issue at first but totally worth it.

b a n n e d
    Decided against ordering a full new set and moved my 2.2 xr4 to the rear and picked up a 2.35 xr4 for the front. Let me just say its a day and night difference! Pita to mount the team issue at first but totally worth it.
    This is a good approach . . . and cheaper. I've tried a number of tires now, and sometimes what works great as a front, might not work as a rear and vice versa.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    This is unfortunately the truth . . . . and with how expensive tires are, it can be an expensive search. My gut tells me its like trying to find the perfect pillow . . . .
    Or the Holy Grail. That's how I've always though of it.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

glad to hear!

i may swap my rear 2.2 xr1 rear to a 2.2 xr4 towards the end of year... depends on the weather and conditions.

joel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

That 2.35 up front was very helpful

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Had very good luck with Schwalbe Rapid Robs in my area, if you have basically all hardpack and don't ride in mud or loose dirt they're super fast. Traction isn't great though, so not well suited for climbs. (I use mine for SuperD and mostly flat singletrack)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What are ya'lls opinion on this tire setup I'm thinking about going with.

Front: Maxxis Ardent/Minion DHF/ DHR 2

Rear: Maxxis Ignitor

It's going on an all mountain bike and I race super d and DH with it in socal. I need something that rolls good (or at least better than Nevegals) yet has the stability I need at higher speeds.

I ride all over from your typical socal trails to the softer mountain soil.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on how this setup would work. I'm running cut nevegals in the front (which I do like) and 2.35 nevegals in the rear (which I cant stand).
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I would choose the Minion DHF over the Ardent for sure! Actually in my area Rocky and Dry, you couldnt pay me to run the Ardent on the front.. well maybe you could but it would have to be alot. The way they go from the center knob to the side knobs is way too sketchy for my taste!

DHF!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMX104 View Post
    I would choose the Minion DHF over the Ardent for sure! Actually in my area Rocky and Dry, you couldnt pay me to run the Ardent on the front.. well maybe you could but it would have to be alot. The way they go from the center knob to the side knobs is way too sketchy for my taste!

DHF!
    Thank you for the help. That's what I was thinking when I was looking at the tread design.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Can someone tell me why everyone seems to run such narrow tires in the back here in So Cal?

I understand the benefit of a wider tire in the front generally, my Yeti SB66c has a 2.4 upfront, and a 2.35 in the back. But that was my setup for East Coast riding... and now I have a feeling that I should change since the conditions are so drastically different here in So Cal, where I now live and ride.

But 2.1 seems awfully narrow for this East Coaster. Is it to cut down through the loose surface dirt to get to a more stable layer of dirt?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    They're doing it wrong. I need to find a happy medium, as I went so far as to pick up a magic mary for a front, and on my first ride was ripping side knobs off :/ Expensive mistake. The knobs are simply too tall for some of the more challenging laguna-area riding (steeps, rocks, etc). I was hoping they'd be the special sauce with all the dust, but they just get shredded extra fast instead.

I've got a DHR2 on the rear, it's nice, but I won't ever recommend anyone getting soft compound rear tires - they're great for traction, but race-day-only. They blow up fast, just not quite as fast as the Magic Mary's up front. Too bad that's all some local shops sell (soft tires).

Next set will be back to a HR2 rear and DHF on the front, unless someone wants to hook me up with some onza's - would be happy to try them.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast