Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The lighter casings on Schwalbe do not hold up great to aggressive riding. I have been running MK 2.4's on the rear paired with the HD up front and love the combo. Was running the 2.2 MK's, but was bottoming out the tire on the rim and piercing the casing.
    Are the 2.4's just huge though? I've heard that Conti's run massively wide . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    1st ride on 2.35 NN I put a small hole, Stans managed to seal it, 2nd ride a rock poked right through the top of the tread and its a useless tire now. Pretty glad I got them from bike discount, ill never buy the non snake skin schwalbes again, they suck. I have a HD snake skin on the front thats held up fine. These tires do seem skirmy on drops though, I can feel it folding over. I'm gonna pass on NN from now on and try HD all around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Sounds like it was drastically different than your last rear tire?

So the question is: Does the NN offer more of what you are hoping for from a rear tire or less than the last?
    The question is do you ride rally car or F1 style? The NN is rally car since it always likes to be sideways. Hans Dampf is F1 and locked in with minimal drift.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Are the 2.4's just huge though? I've heard that Conti's run massively wide . . .
    It is a big tire, about the same size as the HD. That being said, on the roller test it was only about 28 watts to spin at 20 MPH vs. the Trailstar HD which was 43 watts. The 2.2 is tough, but on aluminum rims I was having problems. Strangely I never had problems on my carbon wheels. Not sure if there is a correlation there, but I went through three MK 2.2's in 75 days on an aluminum rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xhailofgunfirex View Post
    1st ride on 2.35 NN I put a small hole, Stans managed to seal it, 2nd ride a rock poked right through the top of the tread and its a useless tire now. Pretty glad I got them from bike discount, ill never buy the non snake skin schwalbes again, they suck. I have a HD snake skin on the front thats held up fine. These tires do seem skirmy on drops though, I can feel it folding over. I'm gonna pass on NN from now on and try HD all around.
    What weight tire was the NN? I have seen everything from 580 gm to 800 gm based on the casing used.

b a n n e d
    The question is do you ride rally car or F1 style? The NN is rally car since it always likes to be sideways. Hans Dampf is F1 and locked in with minimal drift.
    I was just getting used to the rally car style . . .

I think I'm going to try a MK2.2 for the rear . . . see what happens. It's only money, right?

mtbr member
    He rides Gangnam Style. Ive seen him.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What weight tire was the NN? I have seen everything from 580 gm to 800 gm based on the casing used.
    It's 610 grams, with some dried Stans in there, its the Evo version, Pacestar, TL ready. Looking back now that's probably the lightest casing they have right?

I ordered the Super Gravity HD's to replace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I think I'm going to try a MK2.2 for the rear . . . see what happens. It's only money, right?
    Interested to hear your review. I'm looking to switch to Conti's, and I'm not sure if I should just run TKs front and rear or something else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    continentals do run a little wide i think on the trail king but the baron looks kinda skinny for a 2.3 but fits in my front for with Ok clearance. the black chili compound is really grippy and can let you do some f1 style turns but when i lock up the rear it will slide predictable. These tire are simply my favorite and don't plan on changing.

(also the sidewalls have the snake-skin armor)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    First real trail that I took my schwalbe's out on was SART. The snakeskin rear only had lil scuff marks on the sidewall and the non snakeskin front had fibers sticking out at the scratches. I still run tubes but id bet if i was tubeless it would leak. snakeskin only from here on out.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xhailofgunfirex View Post
    It's 610 grams, with some dried Stans in there, its the Evo version, Pacestar, TL ready. Looking back now that's probably the lightest casing they have right?

I ordered the Super Gravity HD's to replace.
    LOL, talk about ends of the spectrum! Yes, that was the 580 gm tire which is made for WC XC racing! The Super Gravity's are 980 gm. You will NOT tear that casing.

mtbr member

The MK's are still rally style, just at a higher speed! Remember you can't take all that money with you.

b a n n e d
    The MK's are still rally style, just at a higher speed! Remember you can't take all that money with you.
    So I should look for a MK2.2 UST w/Black Chili and ProTection/Apex Sidewall? Is that right? does that exist??

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So I should look for a MK2.2 UST w/Black Chili and ProTection/Apex Sidewall? Is that right? does that exist??
    These are one of the few Conti 29er tires you can find in Black Chili.

b a n n e d
    I need real tires (i.e., 26") . . . not cheater tires (i.e., 29")

mtbr member
    I need real tires (i.e., 26")
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    No UST, just TR, unless you don't care about weight. The UST are almost 1/2 lb heavier per tire. Bling has them in stock.

So, 2.2/Protection/Black Chili/Tubless Ready

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is tubeless really that beneficial? I feel like with the added weight and the chance of a serious rupture would really ruin a day vice changing out a tube and going from there. Sorry, I am still kinda a newb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    Is tubeless really that beneficial? I feel like with the added weight and the chance of a serious rupture would really ruin a day vice changing out a tube and going from there. Sorry, I am still kinda a newb.
    No, the hundreds of pages of tubeless talk here and dozens of companies selling tubeless stuff is all a myth, smoke and mirrors.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Deleted....double post.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Dude, you could rock at the velodrome on that rig!

On a slightly more serious note, I cannot believe that there is a thread in SoCal forum on tires that I have not posted in! I am a self-confessed tire fetishist.

Currently, on my 26" bikes, I'm running either a Kenda Nev. in 2.1 on the back wheel, and either a SB8 in 2.35 or a Maxxis Ardent in 24 of the front wheel.
    I know, I know....the SB8 should be the REAR tire, you are going to say, but in reality I have found that the 2.35, which is a big, floaty 2.35, on the front wheel grips amazingly well and really works in anything out here other than mud.

I've decided that the 2.4" Ardent is by far the best and most versatile front tire that I've ever tried, and I have tried just about every other tire mentioned in this thread. And then some. Yes, the tire is a bit heavy, but that is compensated for, IMO, by the superb rolling resistance, so low for such a big tire.

And speaking of big, I recently replaced my current Ardent 2.4 with a new Ardent 2.4, with the "EXO", or "EVO" casing. (Can't remember which....it starts with an 'E'..). Basically, the same tire as before......and yet, the new tire is so big it just clears under the arch of my beloved old Marz. AM 1, whereas the other one, in just the normal casing had a good 3/8" clearance. I like the new tire a lot, so it's staying on, and the other one is going to replace the SB8 on the front of the singlespeed, just to stop the corrections I constantly receive from other riders who know better than me.

It's common knowledge that tire size varies widely from brand to brand, even from one model or another made by the same company, but the difference between these 2 Ardent 2.4's is just really astounding.

Oh, and in 29" I also like the 2.4 Ardent. Once again, as a front tire. Rolls fast, and is nice and cushy at 28-30 psi.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    This is certainly a highly debated topic, and you're going to get as many opinions as there are people on the boards.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference. I personally, prefer to run a tubeless setup because a) I can run lower PSI for better compliance and traction and b) until a couple weeks ago, I had gone over a year without a flat tire. It's just easier.

I HAVE had a flat on the trail that the fluid wouldn't seal, at which point I basically just threw in a tube and went on my way. In that regard, the process is no different than if you were running tubes and got a flat. It's just messier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Best tire for So Cals dry dusty conditions?

I never thought about just throwing a tube in after a leak.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    After diggin through 8 pages of suggestions, I feel more lost than when I started. Right now I have the factory XR4's on my Fuel EX6. I ride alot around the San Diego areo primarily including Hollenbeck, Anderson Truck Trail and sometimes around Otay Lake. A majority of the trail surface is packed, dry dirt with a few loose rocks. I want something that can hold in the corners at higher speeds but not add too much weight on the big climbs.

Right now I am leaning towards a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent in the front and a 2.1 Kenda Nevegal in the rear. I have even been considering the Schwalbe Nobby Nics that I have read about numerous times in here in a 2.4 and 2.25 setup. Any feedback or something you reccomend that I look into?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast