Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    I bring this one with me on the trail (link/pic below). It takes both threaded and non-threaded Co2 cartridges. The only times I have used it were to practice so I made sure I knew how it worked before going out on the trail, one time when I was still running tubes and got a thorn type puncture that I patched and was able to inflate with this, and another time while riding a rented bike running tubes in the bike park at Snow Summit and got a pinch flat. Every time I was able to inflate the tire just fine to a pressure that would get me down the trail. I bought a hand pump awhile back and returned it after trying it out before hitting the trails and realized it would take me too long to pump up a tire. Now I just carry at least 2 Co2 cartridges and if I am on a remote ride I will carry 3.

As far as the PSI goes, you can carry a reader in your pack but for me when I get a flat I am just trying to get back to the car/home to avoid any further issues to where I would have to walk so PSI isn't important as long as it feels firm enough to ride on.

Genuine Innovations UltraFlate Plus CO2 Tire Inflator

Wow ... What a great idea. I must look at buying one for the trail.

mtbr member
    question, i currently have stock trance 3 wheels and nobby nics. I will be needing new tires probably in a few months.
    My LBS is suggestion on buying the Mavic Crossroc wheelsets for $499 but he will transfer over the parts and install for free.
    How hard is it to transfer all the stuff from one wheel to another? I see them on Art's Cyclery for $330 shipped.(seems like a better deal)
    Or is there another comparable or better wheelset to go tubeless for around that price range? ($500 range)

thanks guys!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The bike shop in my area would charge about $15 to transfer the rotors and cassette, and somewhere around $40-$50 to mount new tubeless tires.
    I would just do it myself if I were you. It doesn't take much to do it and everyone should know how to work on the basics IMO.
    The new hub may be offset slightly from the old one, so a rear derailuer adjustment of the limit screws will most likely be needed to shift cleanly. Plenty of videos on YouTube to watch and learn how.

mtbr member
    I have the tools to change the cassette and am also in San Diego, I'll do that part for free. It's all straight forward and easy to do. Learning how will make you more independent too.

You can get a pair of Stans Flow Ex for the price you mentioned...I don't know anything about the Crossrocs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneB View Post
    I have the tools to change the cassette and am also in San Diego, I'll do that part for free. It's all straight forward and easy to do. Learning how will make you more independent too.

You can get a pair of Stans Flow Ex for the price you mentioned...I don't know anything about the Crossrocs.
    I looked up those crossroc wheels and it seems they are pretty narrow... so I'd guess intended use is very XC oriented and might not handle abuse well.

Mrmatt- If you ride fairly aggressive trails, and want wheels that will hold up well and with a little better traction (then crossroc) via a wider rim, I'd consider the Hope/Flow wheels for around the same price (Merlin/Chainreaction?). They're generally regarded as one of the best value/performance/durability wheelsets, and despite months of solid abuse they are treating me right.

My .01

mtbr member
    thanks guys for your help! i will look into those hope/flow wheels. What kind of specs should i be looking at for my 650b? With those recommended wheels, do i need to buy new tires? if so, what size recommendation would you put on those wheels?
    I am new to the upgrading aspect of biking and want to make sure i buy the best bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Flow EX are the widest Stans...just get those. I thought you were on 29, but no matter, on ebay is a seller selling sram 9/flow ex for $429 and $40 shipping new rims pair...sweet deal. I would rune a 2.25/2.3 on the front and 2.1/2.2 rear. Everybody has a different idea what tires are best, so no going there. I do have a new front 650B tire for sale cheap left over from my small wheel experiments.
    Stans Flow EX 650B 27 5" Mountain Bike Wheelset Shimano XT 15 135mm QR 2129G | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneB View Post
    Flow EX are the widest Stans...just get those. I thought you were on 29, but no matter, on ebay is a seller selling sram 9/flow ex for $429 and $40 shipping new rims pair...sweet deal. I would rune a 2.25/2.3 on the front and 2.1/2.2 rear. Everybody has a different idea what tires are best, so no going there. I do have a new front 650B tire for sale cheap left over from my small wheel experiments.
    Stans Flow EX 650B 27 5" Mountain Bike Wheelset Shimano XT 15 135mm QR 2129G | eBay
    what kind of tire is it? i am still trying to guage which set of tires to jump on. my nobby nics are getting tired.

mtbr member
    Looks like for about $450 delivered - depending on your axle spec - you can get a set of Flow/Hope from Merlin. I was a little hesitant to order from UK but worked out great, delivery in around 10 days.

Front wheel link Hope Hoops - Front - Pro2 Evo - 27.5 (650B) | Merlin Cycles

mtbr member
    Are those the best overall bang for the buck? If i saved up another $100-200 would i get a whole lot better of a wheel? or the flow/hope is the best way to go?

thanks again, i am a complete noob when it comes to upgrading.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    Are those the best overall bang for the buck? If i saved up another $100-200 would i get a whole lot better of a wheel? or the flow/hope is the best way to go?

From what I researched, they're the best bang. Upgrading from here, it doesn't seem like $200 will get you far if anything.

I'd save that money, apply it to good tires and tubeless kit, and after half dozen hard rides pay to have them tensioned/trued by the most qualified wheelbuilder you can find (probably less then $50) since stress might soften the wheel a bit. Always a good idea to do with any new wheels, and since these are machine built (vs hand built) probably more so. The benefit from buying direct from LBS might be that they will do this for free... but my local shops were considerably more expensive. I would have preferred to lace up wheels with these same parts myself and buy local, but shops were not close to this price for parts alone.

I would definitely take up offers for help from Geneb or whoever to help you with tubeless, cassette, rotors, etc so you can learn yourself. Pretty basic stuff that every avid rider should know how to do...

Also, tires are a can of worms and very subject to personal preference, riding style, and trail conditions. I ride Specialized 2.3 Butcher Grid F/R... not the most efficient tires, but also not total slugs, great traction, wear well, handle a good amount of abuse.. and they're affordable.

Hope that helps

banned
    Sep 2010

I've always favored Spinergy Xyclone Disc wheels. The ones with the kevlar noodle-spokes. My 04 Joker is still rolling on it's original pair...they have never needed truing. I have close to 10K miles on them, believe it or not. I have 3 other sets of those wheels, one in the 29er format, and I have only had to true one wheel, and that was when the bike it was attached to fell out of a friends' pickup truck on the Interstate. It's still rolling ,too.

Spinergy's are the best kept secret out there in the world of durable wheels. And you can find them on sale for close to 50% off retail.

EDIT: Never, ever assume that a given bike shop wrench knows how to true one. I'm lucky. My bike shop wrench is my friend, a guy who regularly trues Spinergy's for guys who REALLY stress them..the wheechair Murderball League.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Back to tires now....Currently my all-time fave for a front tire in SoCal is the 2.4 Ardent in both 26 and 29, at the 2.4 width, with kevlar bead and the EXO casing.
    I'm being told for my 26" Joker with its' 170 mm Lyrik fork that a MinionF 2.5 in EXO would be a much better front tire. It's a bit heavier, but the Joker is stupid-light for a 7" travel freeride bike, so I don't care too much about an extra 100 grams of rotating weight.

What say all you shredder-types? I'm liking the idea, here.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Back to tires now....Currently my all-time fave for a front tire in SoCal is the 2.4 Ardent in both 26 and 29, at the 2.4 width, with kevlar bead and the EXO casing.
    I'm being told for my 26" Joker with its' 170 mm Lyrik fork that a MinionF 2.5 in EXO would be a much better front tire. It's a bit heavier, but the Joker is stupid-light for a 7" travel freeride bike, so I don't care too much about an extra 100 grams of rotating weight.

What say all you shredder-types? I'm liking the idea, here.
    My friend runs the Ardent and loves em. I am currently running the Kenda Negaval on my All Mtn Rig that I pretend is a Cross Country rig.....

I used to run the WTB Wolverine I think but I found my style had me pushing corners too much on that tire. Years ago I ran the Velociraptor up front and I recall liking that as a front tire, but I have not run one in a long time.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    My friend runs the Ardent and loves em. I am currently running the Kenda Negaval on my All Mtn Rig that I pretend is a Cross Country rig.....

I used to run the WTB Wolverine I think but I found my style had me pushing corners too much on that tire. Years ago I ran the Velociraptor up front and I recall liking that as a front tire, but I have not run one in a long time.
    The Minion 2.5 F in EXO casing comes highly recommended by a lot of riders. I might be up at Hodges tomorrow, in which case I think I'll drop by Bling at check one or two out.
    About 100 grams heavier than the Ardent, but sounds like it's worth it.

mtbr member
    for those with tubes (i know there are a lot of variables, i'm 5'11" 200#)... whats your typical pressure you run on san diego trails? (daley/hodges/elfin/pq mostly)
    I tried 40psi and it seemed a bit stiff, but i've been having a ton of pinch flat issues so thats why i put it at that point. I finally bought a floor pump with a psi gauge. Its amazing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hope hubs are the best, can't go wrong there. I love mine and wish I had them on all my bikes. As for tires, San Diego is dry and dusty like where I live and I think Hans Dampfs are great for that, At least for the front tire. You could do a new Nobby Nic on the back too (they have a new design this year) that is, if the Hans wont fit or you find it too 'slow'.
    Just my opinion, but I have tried every popular tire out there and I ride the Hans 90% of the time, switching to Maxxis Minions for wetter/looser conditions and DH, and Kenda Small Bloc 8's for rocky tech climbs (Moab-type stuff) and the occasional boardwalk ride in summer along the beach.
    I know I'm rambling, but those 3 tires are all I need and I have a wheelset for each on my main trail bike. Its great to be able to change your bike up for the intended ride with such ease and now I'm totally spoiled!

mtbr member
    thanks! so looks like i need to start saving up for the hope wheels. I was hoping to buy them local as its easier to snag without the wife seeing packages coming in the mail. But if the best deal is online, gotta go that route.
    What kind of mileage do you get on the Hans Dampfs? I have noticed my nobbie nics are wearing out pretty fast. I probably have 225 miles on them so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Check this out: carbon mountain bike-mountain bike,mountains bikes,carbon mountain bike,carbon mtb bike,mtb bike,carbon bike Light-Bicycle
    I got a quote from them last October for carbon rims with hope hubs for less than $1000 shipped. I haven't gone carbon yet since I am 220 lbs, I'm afraid I might be out of the weight range where a carbon rim would be safe for my aggressive riding style.
    I get a varied amount of miles from the Hans dampfs.
    On my 26" trail bike, I run the performance series on the front and back and get almost a year out of the front tire and go thru about 2 -3 tires on the rear in the same time. I ran the old nobly nics once and they didn't last very long at all as a rear tire. After only 4 or 5 rides they were shredded. Milage is tough to say, but I usually ride 50-75 miles a week on my trail bikes.

On my 29" bike I run the evolution series because they only come in their higher end version for 29ers. They don't last as long, but they have great traction on the loose, gravely fire roads around here to get to the sweet single tracks. Both front and back wear at about the same rate on this bike, as I don't ride the 29er as hard and the softer compound wears faster as a front tire.

I've even got a set of Hans for my DH bike on some older wheels that I use for hard pack riding. They are softer rubber as well with a DH casing and work great on rock hard clay (I use my maxxis minions for bike parks with pavers and everything else).
    Hans Dampf in German means jack-of-all-trades (or something to that effect) and those tires live up to their name. Just stay away from wet and muddy clay as they pack up very quickly, better suited for the maxxis minions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here is the quote from my email below. It's really an amazing deal, I might just give the carbons a try now since they are for the 9er....

Hello John,

The price is USD833/pair for 29er 35mm wide wheelset with Hope hubs. And the delivery cost is USD78 for one wheelset to USA by EMS.
    We can create the invoice for you if you like to order.
    Fo rims, do you like 3k/12k/UD? glossy finish or matte? 32H? Please find attached pictures.
    For hubs, what color do you like? What hub axle do you like for front & rear? Thru axle or standard qr?

Thanks,
    Nancy

mtbr member
    F
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarjohn21 View Post
    Here is the quote from my email below. It's really an amazing deal, I might just give the carbons a try now since they are for the 9er....

Hello John,

The price is USD833/pair for 29er 35mm wide wheelset with Hope hubs. And the delivery cost is USD78 for one wheelset to USA by EMS.

We can create the invoice for you if you like to order.
    Fo rims, do you like 3k/12k/UD? glossy finish or matte? 32H? Please find attached pictures.
    For hubs, what color do you like? What hub axle do you like for front & rear? Thru axle or standard qr?

Thanks,
    Nancy
    I've been running these for about three months in 27.5 and 35mm wide. They are awesome! I'm 205lbs and an aggressive rider. No problems with jumps, drops, rock gardens. The Hopes sucked at first though. I had to take them to NoB to have them repacked with racing grease cause there was so much drag on them. My chain literally hung over my chainstay because the hub couldn't keep up on the descent. They are properly broke in now though and work great.
    If you are going through hell, keep going. -- Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    thanks! so looks like i need to start saving up for the hope wheels. I was hoping to buy them local as its easier to snag without the wife seeing packages coming in the mail. But if the best deal is online, gotta go that route.
    What kind of mileage do you get on the Hans Dampfs? I have noticed my nobbie nics are wearing out pretty fast. I probably have 225 miles on them so far.
    Check what kind of compound the tire is made out of. I bet your nobbie nics are "trail star". You will want "pace star" for around here. It is much more durable. My bike came stock with trail star nobbie nics and I went through them in a little over a month.

I'm running pace star Hans Dampf 2.4 up front and 2.25 racing Ralph in back. They seem to be holding up nicely.
    If you are going through hell, keep going. -- Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinodriver View Post
    F

I've been running these for about three months in 27.5 and 35mm wide. They are awesome! I'm 205lbs and an aggressive rider. No problems with jumps, drops, rock gardens. The Hopes sucked at first though. I had to take them to NoB to have them repacked with racing grease cause there was so much drag on them. My chain literally hung over my chainstay because the hub couldn't keep up on the descent. They are properly broke in now though and work great.

Good to know about the rims ...,
    I just had to readjust my hope rear hub for the same reason, and mine is fairly new (about a year with little use, its on my FR bike). I think it's part of the breaking in process with them, I've read similar comments before, but do you think the ones from light bicycle are lower quality??
    Is that possible? China knocks off everything but i can't see them getting away with doing a Hope hub.

Thanks for the info on the rims. I've seen so many pics of exploded rear carbon wheels it scares the hell out of me. I'll never put them on a DH bike, but maybe on the 9er they'd be fine

banned
    Sep 2010
    for those with tubes (i know there are a lot of variables, i'm 5'11" 200#)... whats your typical pressure you run on san diego trails? (daley/hodges/elfin/pq mostly)
    I tried 40psi and it seemed a bit stiff, but i've been having a ton of pinch flat issues so thats why i put it at that point. I finally bought a floor pump with a psi gauge. Its amazing.
    For you, try 32 psi F. 35 psi R.
    That's what I ran with very few/no pinch flats when I weighed 210.

mtbr member

Best tire for So Cals dry dusty conditions?

Originally had Hans Dampf / RR, then tried Knobby Nic / RR and now have RR / RR and really like the RR as a front tire. I was skeptical on the traction but am quite pleased at least with the moist dirt we have now. It's lightness also reduces the under steer often felt on 29'ers. The RR front and back is a super fast combination and the first ride I went out with blew away all of my PRs and that was after a 4 mile run. Ride Pivot Mach 429 Carbon, with PSI set to 25 front and 30 back.

On my Mach 6 I have the tried and true HD / RR combination.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I'm around your height and weight. 6' at 205# to 210#. I have been running Kenda Nevs for a number of years. But even with my tires previously I found 42# was the ideal p.s.i. With tubes for those trails. As far as a pump with a psi gauge they are rarely accurate. I have an expensive Topeak floor pump with a dial gauge and I also have a Topeak digital gauge I carry with me. The floor pump gauge has never registered the same as the digital hand gauge. I always rely on what the digital gauge reads rather than the floor pump dial gauge. I also have a dial hand gauge that registers identical to the digital hand gauge so I know it's the floor pumps gauge that is not accurate.
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How did the Nobby Nic compare to the Racing Ralph as a Front tire on dry, dust, slippery hardpack?
    I found the NN very sketchy as a front tire for someone my size.

mtbr member
    good info guys! i know my wheels i want, now i have to narrow it down to the tire combo.

how are the high rollers? my buddy has them but he is the type of guy that rides hard no matter what tire he has and never has any comments regarding them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I had high rollers once. They were slower than the minions but they are a good tire.

mtbr member

Best tire for So Cals dry dusty conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by guitarjohn21 View Post
    How did the Nobby Nic compare to the Racing Ralph as a Front tire on dry, dust, slippery hardpack?
    I found the NN very sketchy as a front tire for someone my size.
    I have only had this setup a few weeks now. There was an interval with fairly dry conditions but not bone dry like in the summer here in SD and for the XC riding I was doing they were fine. I would say for cross country apps (not 25 percent descents, super technical and chunky terrain) they would be fine. I rode Coyote the other day at La Costa and the Ralph's held up well. On the other hand I never felt a HD gave me anything over a Nobby Nic except extra weight. I have had the Nics down technical stuff and they were perfect. My issue is the riding here in SD is very diverse and often requires steep climbing (15-25 percent) and heavy front tires suck for that. There is a saying in MTB land that no one bike does it all, and the same with tires. So if I am on my cross country rig, I know there will be some sections I just have be more mindful of. If I am on my trail bike, I know I will have to suffer the climbs a bit more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I'm around your height and weight. 6' at 205# to 210#. I have been running Kenda Nevs for a number of years. But even with my tires previously I found 42# was the ideal p.s.i. With tubes for those trails. As far as a pump with a psi gauge they are rarely accurate. I have an expensive Topeak floor pump with a dial gauge and I also have a Topeak digital gauge I carry with me. The floor pump gauge has never registered the same as the digital hand gauge. I always rely on what the digital gauge reads rather than the floor pump dial gauge. I also have a dial hand gauge that registers identical to the digital hand gauge so I know it's the floor pumps gauge that is not accurate.
    I found the digital pressure gauge on amazon for like $25, i am definitely going to get it to double check my pressures....
    You liked 42psi? wowzers, which trails did you ride most frequently? I know my floor pump might be a bit off when it read 40psi, but i found myself all over the place at that pressure trying to corner down rocky rutty trails. I bet its going to take many trial and errors to determine my best pressure. I bet once i get my pressure dialed in, i will be needing new tires and going tubeless...haha!

thanks for your advice.. i am willing to try anything to find the sweet spot for traction without getting frequent flats

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    I have only had this setup a few weeks now. There was an interval with fairly dry conditions but not bone dry like in the summer here in SD and for the XC riding I was doing they were fine. I would say for cross country apps (not 25 percent descents, super technical and chunky terrain) they would be fine. I rode Coyote the other day at La Costa and the Ralph's held up well. On the other hand I never felt a HD gave me anything over a Nobby Nic except extra weight. I have had the Nics down technical stuff and they were perfect. My issue is the riding here in SD is very diverse and often requires steep climbing (15-25 percent) and heavy front tires suck for that. There is a saying in MTB land that no one bike does it all, and the same with tires. So if I am on my cross country rig, I know there will be some sections I just have be more mindful of. If I am on my trail bike, I know I will have to suffer the climbs a bit more.
    I'd like to try that setup on a wheelset (I mentioned I have 3 sets for my 26" trail and 2 for my 9er) I rarely use my Small block 8's so I could switch those out for a bit to see. Reason is I would like a setup for long distance rides (+30 miles) and it would be nice loose a couple pounds for that.

mtbr member
    thoughts on these guys?
    Hope Hoops Tech Enduro Wheelset | Chain Reaction Cycles

Hope makes an enduro complete wheel set. you guys know a lot so thats why i am asking you.

mtbr member
    thoughts on these guys?
    Hope Hoops Tech Enduro Wheelset | Chain Reaction Cycles

Hope makes an enduro complete wheel set. you guys know a lot so thats why i am asking you.
    The Flow rims are a proven product, and the Hope rims are new to market... but I'd guess they're solid. I think Pinkbike just did a review of them FWIW.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Looks like for about $450 delivered - depending on your axle spec - you can get a set of Flow/Hope from Merlin. I was a little hesitant to order from UK but worked out great, delivery in around 10 days.

Front wheel link Hope Hoops - Front - Pro2 Evo - 27.5 (650B) | Merlin Cycles
    quick question regarding this link, there are four to choose from... whats the difference? is the difference is between different actual wheel hoop? looks like they have an additional 10% off right now.

mtbr member
    Best tire for So Cals dry dusty conditions?-screen-shot-2015-01-14-6.43.31-am.jpg
    which one is what?

$409.26 after discount from front and back.

mtbr member
    I've had the RR and NN on both the front and rear of my Tallboy. The RR is a really sweet tire in all conditions. The front has worn really well and been a super great tire, and the rear not so well (as expected). I completed my tallboy build with the RR up front and the NN in the rear. Downiesville was its maiden voyage and all I can say about the NN in the rear is "crap" There was literally nothing left of the Nic after doing ONE run. I had another NN that I threw on the front and it performed really well but wore out way to quick for my taste, escpecially for the $. The ralph as been on the front now well over a year and its still going strong. If you have unlimited funds, the RR front and rear would be my choice, but the RR up front and another combo in the rear works just fine!!

banned
    Sep 2010
    I now have a new all-time favorite tire for the front on my 26er......a Maxxis Minion DHF in EXO casing. This thing rocks...with real rocks, and its' not bad in the rolling department, either.

My previous all-time fave for the last few years has been the Ardent 2.4 in the same casing, but the Minion has it beat on the DH stuff and in corners.

mtbr member
    I looked up those crossroc wheels and it seems they are pretty narrow... so I'd guess intended use is very XC oriented and might not handle abuse well.

Mrmatt- If you ride fairly aggressive trails, and want wheels that will hold up well and with a little better traction (then crossroc) via a wider rim, I'd consider the Hope/Flow wheels for around the same price (Merlin/Chainreaction?). They're generally regarded as one of the best value/performance/durability wheelsets, and despite months of solid abuse they are treating me right.

My .01
    my lbs said he can try to get whatever wheel set and match online prices instore. (he matched chain reaction for my pedals before)
    However he is still pushing the cross rocs with the xl edition thats 21mm(because i told him the cross roc with 19mm was too narrow). he is also saying that the cross rocs have a larger thru axle which will make my stronger and better.
    cross rocs are 15 or 20 mm front and 12 mm rear, and looking online the Stans Flow Hope are 15mm front and 9mm rear.

is this a huge deal?

crossroc xl's are $599 but chain reaction had them for $460(maybe he will honor a sold out product, which i doubt)

Crossroc XL WTS | Mavic - United States

mtbr member
    sorry for all the questions, i am just a noob when i'm looking at upgrades as i've always just "ridden" my bike and never really upgraded anything on my current or previous bikes.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 6.43.31 AM.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	955478
    which one is what?

$409.26 after discount from front and back.
    Your rim choices are Arch, Crest, Flow, or Hope Enduro.

mtbr member
    Your rim choices are Arch, Crest, Flow, or Hope Enduro.
    sounds like Flow is the highest or most used here?

mtbr member
    It seems that Flow is pretty much the industry standard for an alu "enduro" rim.

I doubt whatever axle strength/stiffness the mavic has is much different/better then the hope.

You need to know exactly what axles your bike requires and order wheels accordingly.

If you have further questions, you might want to post a thread in wheels/tires and get much more feedback.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Running the stock Bontrager 2.3 XR3s. I usually ride some asphalt to get to the trail and it seems to prematurely wear the tires out. Center knobs are getting chewed and if I go faster than 12mph then the tires make a chopping sound. Still I like these tires overall though I'm not sure how durable they are.

2.3s are nice and supple. Rolling resistance is good IMO. Cornering is predictable but I gotta lean the bike and put some effort into the turns. And maybe it's because the tires are wearing out but I'm losing traction on the rear when I have to make a short steep climb. The rear spins out but it's also because I tend to get out of the saddle and try to attack a short steep section.

I'm looking at the Maxxis Ardent though not sure if I should go 2.25 or 2.4. Maybe 2.4 front and 2.25 rear? Also was considering the geax AKA for a rear since the small block design is supposed to roll faster but also cut through the loose and grip the hardpack better. Or maybe just stick with the Bonty.

The Ardent has closer spaced center knobs than the XR3 so they probably roll better. Do they have better grip though?

mtbr member
    I spent the better part of the last 3.5 months running Minion DHF front and rear. No better combination in terms of grip, that I've tried.

Recently picked up a Slaughter Control and noticed a huge difference in rolling efficiency. Grips pretty well at the right PSI - probably should have got the Grids - but it's obviously no DHF. Rode it like a Minion down a loose, choppy trail and ate sh!t three times. It's definitely teaching me to lay off the rear brake. Definitely going to keep it around for a while...there are some big gains to be had with this tire on my bike. I will say that in ideal trail conditions (El Prieto was nice and sticky when I rode it recently), I didn't miss any of the Minion's attributes one bit.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567