Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Holy hell . . . 20psi?! I'd be worried about denting rims! I'm running a WTB i23 too, which does have a wide profile. Maybe I'll try lowering it a touch.
    The only time I've ever pinged mine was casing a curb hop at about 25 mph. Even then, there was no damage... I just heard the spokes make noise. The NNs are wide enough that they give really good rim protection even at low pressures.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    You just need a certain riding style to like the NN. They're not really secure gripping. They're more for the types that actually like to get sketchy, assuming you have fun by getting sketchy. If you're the type that likes it stable and just like to cruise on a solid line and simply hold on and hope your bike gets you through when **** gets gnarly, it's likely not for you. If you like to swing your back tire around, skip and hop over stuff, pump the undulations of the ground, and get sideways, and think that if you're not crashing, you're not going hard enough, the NN might be just for you. If you're not already riding like that or aiming to ride like that, I doubt it'd help your riding become like that.
    So to update my experience with the Schwalbe's (not that anyone other than me cares), lowering the PSI in the NN helped, tremendously. I went from 32PSI down to 30, and now down to 27 and its certainly getting better. Much more drive grip now . . . BUT, Varaxis NAILED it on this tire getting sketchy in the rear. This tire LOVES to break loose . . . the question is, whether or not you like that. For me, I think if I were to get used to it and really learn its "breaking point," it could be a tremendously fun tire. I'm definitely going to stick with it, and keep experimenting with the pressures.

One things for SURE though, there is no way I'd ever think of running a NN as a front tire. None.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

official eMpTyBRain
    Specialized Ground Control tires won the MBA tire shoot out this year. These are fantastic all around tires for So Cal.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So to update my experience with the Schwalbe's (not that anyone other than me cares), lowering the PSI in the NN helped, tremendously. I went from 32PSI down to 30, and now down to 27 and its certainly getting better. Much more drive grip now . . . BUT, Varaxis NAILED it on this tire getting sketchy in the rear. This tire LOVES to break loose . . . the question is, whether or not you like that. For me, I think if I were to get used to it and really learn its "breaking point," it could be a tremendously fun tire. I'm definitely going to stick with it, and keep experimenting with the pressures.

One things for SURE though, there is no way I'd ever think of running a NN as a front tire. None.
    I'm not exactly a shredder, but I felt like the NN really opened up my skills in breaking the back end loose. I also felt like it held a line well in the back while doing slow tech stuff, at least better than the Racing Ralph I have in the back now.

I ran NN front and rear for awhile on my Tallboy, and I liked it. I'm running Hans Dampf front and RaRa rear right now. The RaRa just doesn't have enough grip for me in loose over hard.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I'm not exactly a shredder, but I felt like the NN really opened up my skills in breaking the back end loose. I also felt like it held a line well in the back while doing slow tech stuff, at least better than the Racing Ralph I have in the back now.

I ran NN front and rear for awhile on my Tallboy, and I liked it. I'm running Hans Dampf front and RaRa rear right now. The RaRa just doesn't have enough grip for me in loose over hard.
    You are correct that the NN does do well in the slow/tech . . . plenty of grip and drive traction, but at speed it does break. I kinda like it for now, but we'll see when it throws me to the dirt.

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    I just rode Sedona (I know, the thread is SoCal) with a brand new Nobby Nic 26 x 2.4 on the rear and my old Fat Albert 2.4 on the front. NN was around 28psi. In the technical stuff it held fine, the slickrock it was fine, and in loose it seemed to do OK. Its supposedly good for loose loamy stuff, which makes sense with the taller blocks. I like the lightweight (650g) compared to other 2.35/2.4 tires. I switched a Fat Albert rear for the NN, and it seems to track a single line vs. the Fat Albert which, to borrow a surfing term, feels like a swallow tail, where it tracks on one side or the other.

I should also add that my NN is the PaceStar compound, but I think I should have gone with the TrailStar.
    Last edited by ShiverMeTimbers; 04-15-2013 at 09:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well I finally switched my tires and settled on a rocket ron up front and the ralph out back. The Ron was awesome right out of the gate. Plenty of grip where I was needing it. Im still working on a magic tire pressure for the ralph but overall Im liking these tires. I would love a more aggressive tire then the ralph but I was concerned with rolling resistance as lately ive been riding to the trailheads from home.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Specialized Ground Control tires won the MBA tire shoot out this year. These are fantastic all around tires for So Cal.
    I absolutely love them. To me, they are the best combo of price, climbing, rolling, and cornering for XC or AM. I run a 2.3 in front and a 2.1 in back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fongster View Post
    I absolutely love them. To me, they are the best combo of price, climbing, rolling, and cornering for XC or AM. I run a 2.3 in front and a 2.1 in back.
    Interesting combo. I might try the same for out here.

Currently running the stocker Specialized Adrenalines 26 x 2.00" F/R.
    2005 FSR XC Comp
    2012 Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTRondogg View Post
    Interesting combo. I might try the same for out here.

Currently running the stocker Specialized Adrenalines 26 x 2.00" F/R.
    I was using the 2.1s F and R but my LBS was out of the 2.1s when I needed a new rear. A shop guy reco'd trying a 2.3 on the front and move the still good 2.1 to replace the worn rear saying that I could return it if I didn't like it. I thought that I'd feel the extra weight and area of the 2.3 but it rolled better than the 2.1 up front--I didn't notice any add'l rotating weight. Rather than bounce over trail irregularities, it smoothly rolled over them so I spent my energy going forward. As for descending, the 2.3 increased my confidence cornering--it had much better grab than the 2.1 up front. BTW, I have the "Control" version not the "S-works".

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The 2.1/2.3 ground control combo was what I would have run if my LBS still carried specialized. Its highly recommended by many of my friends.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I run Maxxis Ardent 2.25 up front and 2.1 small block in the back! Live up the High Desert area and handles the trails like a boss

b a n n e d
    Well, my NN's sure didn't last long. Already got a nice hole in them that stans wouldnt seal. I have a tube in there for now, and will keep the tire for the rest of its useable life, but the knobs are showing severe wear already. People weren't kidding when they said that Schwalbe's wear out fast . . . at least as a rear tire. The HD in the front is still good. Next up is a continental . . .

official eMpTyBRain
    ^Try a Spesh Ground Control in back next.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    ^Try a Spesh Ground Control in back next.
    Too close to the NN . . . I need some contrast to really get the feel of the tread. Too bad about the NN too . . . it was a fun tire.

official eMpTyBRain
    Too close to the NN . . . I need some contrast to really get the feel of the tread. Too bad about the NN too . . . it was a fun tire.
    Then it is to say that you are not happy with the performance of the NN?
    Last edited by Hawg; 04-28-2013 at 02:51 PM.

b a n n e d
    No, I liked it . . . it was fun, and I'm just starting to learn its habits. It is just wearing out way too fast and already has holes in it. I'm sure the GC will be very similar, but I want to try something else to get a good contrast.

I eat cats
    I put a 2.2 Captain Control on front a couple months ago and like it. I have a Fast Trak Control on the rear which works as well. I did almost wash out the other day though since the trails have been getting more sand/dust build up. No clue how I saved myself from going down but I was able to get the bike back under me and spent the next several seconds with that blood rush "holy chit" feeling through my body. I am looking to branch out and try a new tire setup for summer though. Not sure if the fact that I am running tubes contributed to my near wash out the other day. I have had luck with no flats since getting my new bike but I think I want to just pull the trigger on tubeless to run a lower PSI for grip help.

official eMpTyBRain
    No, I liked it . . . it was fun, and I'm just starting to learn its habits.
    Sounds like it was drastically different than your last rear tire?

So the question is: Does the NN offer more of what you are hoping for from a rear tire or less than the last?

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    I put a 2.2 Captain Control on front a couple months ago and like it. I have a Fast Trak Control on the rear which works as well. I did almost wash out the other day though since the trails have been getting more sand/dust build up. No clue how I saved myself from going down but I was able to get the bike back under me and spent the next several seconds with that blood rush "holy chit" feeling through my body. I am looking to branch out and try a new tire setup for summer though. Not sure if the fact that I am running tubes contributed to my near wash out the other day. I have had luck with no flats since getting my new bike but I think I want to just pull the trigger on tubeless to run a lower PSI for grip help.
    I washed out 2X with The Captain up front (I wasn't able to save it and my forearm and leg paid the price). Something about the design that breaks loose for me. I put them on my wife's bike but she rides a lot slower and doesn't lean her bike at all. I'm enjoying the Ground Controls as posted earlier.

mtbr member
    Was running nevagals front and rear on my pivot but I just switched to a HD trailstar in front and a Slant 6 in rear. Much faster combo without a doubt. It noticed it quickly in the very first ride on them. My front seemed like it wanted to wash out with the Nev but haven't seen it yet with the utrailstar. The slant 6 doesn't seem to have the same traction climbing on those slow, loose rocky sections but its not a big deal. It will just spins a bit easier. I'm happy with the combo and looking to see how they last
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    I also just replaced my nevegal/slant six combo. Switched to a bronson in front and an x-king in back. So far its awesome, huge difference in rolling resistance. I also had problems with the slant six's spinning out if I wasn't careful.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just picked up a Ground Control "2.3" for use as a rear tire. Other than the fact that the tire isn't even 2.2 when mounted on my wide chinese carbon rims, I'm looking forward to testing it out. Hopefully it is going to stretch out some.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    my LBS recommended continental baron 2.3 on the front and i put a 2.2 trail king on the rear both with the black chili compound, handles excellent on the dusty/sandy trails of so-cal really grips well and it does look like a knobby tire but rolls very smoothly. You will no longer be drifting through the sandy corners but railing them.

mtbr member
    Well, my NN's sure didn't last long. Already got a nice hole in them that stans wouldnt seal. I have a tube in there for now, and will keep the tire for the rest of its useable life, but the knobs are showing severe wear already. People weren't kidding when they said that Schwalbe's wear out fast . . . at least as a rear tire. The HD in the front is still good. Next up is a continental . . .
    The lighter casings on Schwalbe do not hold up great to aggressive riding. I have been running MK 2.4's on the rear paired with the HD up front and love the combo. Was running the 2.2 MK's, but was bottoming out the tire on the rim and piercing the casing.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast