Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I rode Chunky Monkeys front and rear 'til it just became too much of a burden on the climbs. Really good grip in our conditions, but just too slow. Switched out to a fat XC tire - a 2.35 Ikon. Rolls a TON better, is lighter, and is predictable in terms of grip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94 View Post
    Anyone using a ROCK RAZOR on the rear?
    Yes, that's what I'm running now. Tire was great in the grippy dirt of the North East. Out here, not so much. It's prob a godsend on those fire road climbs. But since I'm new to these trail conditions, I'm about to mount a Trail King in the back, and we'll see just how much of a difference that makes.

mtbr member
    i have veloceraptors on my bike currently, what are the MAXXIS tires everyone has in every picture?

mtbr member

Best tire for So Cals dry dusty conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    i have veloceraptors on my bike currently, what are the MAXXIS tires everyone has in every picture?
    I see a lot of Ardent (great in the back, awful for front IMO) and Highrollers on the bigger bikes.

mtbr member
    Do you know the veloceraptors? How would they compare to those? thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    I see a lot of Ardent (great in the back, awful for front IMO) and Highrollers on the bigger bikes.

mtbr member
    Do you know the veloceraptors? How would they compare to those? thanks for your help!
    I've never tried the Velociraptor, but it's an XC tire. Skinny, efficient, probably not awesome in aggressive applications, but that's just a guess.

mtbr member
    the bike i am hoping to get comes stock with Schwalbe tires.... any good?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Schwalbe makes some of the best tires out there... BUT they aren't know for their longevity. They wear down very quickly.

mtbr member

So good for about 50-100 miles. After that, you'll start to notice wear, and performance drops off significantly.

mtbr member
    I had the Schwalbe Fat Alberts on my Intense Uzzi. I ran tubeless on Mavic 823's.

I recently switched to Kenda Nevegal. Night and day.. hands down the Nevegals hook up better on SoCals dry hardpack. Cornering is infinitely better on the Kenda's on that dry scratchy stuff. The knobs cut in much better, hold the grip better, and are more predictable when you break loose.

Kenda's roll better, are a little cheaper, and last longer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffshredman View Post
    I had the Schwalbe Fat Alberts on my Intense Uzzi. I ran tubeless on Mavic 823's.

I recently switched to Kenda Nevegal. Night and day.. hands down the Nevegals hook up better on SoCals dry hardpack. Cornering is infinitely better on the Kenda's on that dry scratchy stuff. The knobs cut in much better, hold the grip better, and are more predictable when you break loose.

Kenda's roll better, are a little cheaper, and last longer.
    How are the Kenda's for tubeless? I had some trouble the once I tried them, but that could just have been me.

mtbr member
    So when i get that bike ill run those tires down then swap them to a more durable tire. What is the typical mileage on good tires now a days? I know each are probably specific, but the avg kinda thing. thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    I've never tried the Velociraptor, but it's an XC tire. Skinny, efficient, probably not awesome in aggressive applications, but that's just a guess.
    I just took off my Velociraptors. They look cool but I felt my front end slide out more times then I'd care to admit. They definitely didn't evoke any rider confidence.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLODell View Post
    I just took off my Velociraptors. They look cool but I felt my front end slide out more times then I'd care to admit. They definitely didn't evoke any rider confidence.
    i am starting to notice that as well. The rears seem to grip well overall.. but i've never really payed attention to what i put on when i was younger so i am not even sure what tires i used back when i rode a lot.

mtbr member
    i am starting to notice that as well. The rears seem to grip well overall.. but i've never really payed attention to what i put on when i was younger so i am not even sure what tires i used back when i rode a lot.
    I just bought some Kenda El Moco. I'll let you know how they work out in comparison

mtbr member
    I haven't had any problems. The Mav823's are true UST rims, so I don't know if that makes a difference.. but been happy so far

banned
    Sep 2010
    So when i get that bike ill run those tires down then swap them to a more durable tire. What is the typical mileage on good tires now a days? I know each are probably specific, but the avg kinda thing. thanks!
    All the tires from Maxxis and Continental that I've had seemed to wear very slowly. Seems like the sidewalls started cracking before the tread showed significant wear.
    In terms of wear, Kendas seem to wear faster, IMO.

the "stick-e" rubber compounds are the ones that really wear fast, but they sure do grip .

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just put a Butcher in the front and Purgatory in the rear (both 29 2.3). I'll be riding some loose trails this weekend and will report back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Did a couple rides on the Butcher/Purgatory combo and I'm really happy with it. Lots of grip, rear comes out predictably and is easier to put back in, and out of the saddle steep climbs still have plenty of traction. Downhill on singletrack with loose dirt and shale had great traction and solid ride.

Both tires were within 5g of stated weight. Rolling resistance isn't too bad if you are just going to sit and spin up the hill to get to the downhill.

Plus they make a really great alien type noise when you go over 15mph on pavement!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've tried about every top end brand and tread and I must say that the Hans Dampfs work best for me in SoCal's dusty hardpack to just about everything you encounter in the area. Though they are not so great in the mud we rarely get here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    has anyone else had issues with Maxxis leaking fluid from the sidewalls? I have HR11's and the back is starting to show liquid coming out the sides (very small droplets) every two inches or so. Weird. The tires have about 300 miles on them (which I agree is a lot) but the tread is awesome. I guess the sides may be wearing out.

mtbr member
    A guy at Bike Warehouse sold me an Ignitor and swore it was the best front tire made. I used it one ride and yanked it.

It was a very low volume tire, low and narrow; and expensive to boot.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by GeneB View Post
    A guy at Bike Warehouse sold me an Ignitor and swore it was the best front tire made. I used it one ride and yanked it.

It was a very low volume tire, low and narrow; and expensive to boot.
    I love the Ignitor as a rear on my XC hardtail. I could not imagine it as a very good front.

mtbr member
    The Ignitor looks very similar to a WTB Bronson...ever tried one of those on the rear? I'm looking for a higher volume tire...

banned
    Sep 2010
    The Ignitor looks very similar to a WTB Bronson...ever tried one of those on the rear? I'm looking for a higher volume tire...
    I may have already mentioned this, maybe even more than once, but my all-time favorite front tire so far has been the Maxxis Ardent in the 2.4 size. It has volume, rolls very well, and it's also got the directional knobs that I like on a front tire.

I got one on my 26" long-travel FS, and I got one on my 29" medium travel FS bike as well.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    How are the Kenda's for tubeless? I had some trouble the once I tried them, but that could just have been me.
    I don't run tubeless myself, but I've heard pretty consistently that many of the Kendas are fairly porous in the sidewalls.

mtbr member
    my new bike has Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance, 27.5 x 2.25. what are the expected mileage? I know someone said Schwalbe are great tires but won't last long but are all their tires fairly similar? They work great compared to my old tires on my old bike!!!
    I currently have stock Giant S-XC2 27.5-inch wheels. what is the widest tire or best width do you recommend? I see a lot of people like wider than 2.25 and I am new to this new wider style tire as my old Trek Y-3 had narrow tires.

thanks!

mtbr member

my new bike has Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance, 27.5 x 2.25. what are the expected mileage? I know someone said Schwalbe are great tires but won't last long but are all their tires fairly similar? They work great compared to my old tires on my old bike!!!
    I've run Racing Ralphs, Hans Dampf, and Nobby Nics and they've all been excellent at their intended application for about 200mi or so, then they drop off considerably after that. Given their price, it's really tough to buy tires every two months. I ride a lot of trails with smooth rock - very much like blacktop. I'm sure that exacerbated the issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I may have already mentioned this, maybe even more than once, but my all-time favorite front tire so far has been the Maxxis Ardent in the 2.4 size. It has volume, rolls very well, and it's also got the directional knobs that I like on a front tire.

I got one on my 26" long-travel FS, and I got one on my 29" medium travel FS bike as well.
    I've had Nevegals on the front of my last 3 bikes and can't imagine a better front tire. Mostly trying to improve the rear so I can handle soft sand w/o freaking out. In general all Maxxis tires look undersize to me but I'd like to ride with you sometime and get better educated.

mtbr member
    I have about 60 miles on my Nobby Nics and love them overall so far. hate to hear that those tires are going to be worn out in the next month and a half

banned
    Sep 2010
    I've had Nevegals on the front of my last 3 bikes and can't imagine a better front tire. Mostly trying to improve the rear so I can handle soft sand w/o freaking out. In general all Maxxis tires look undersize to me but I'd like to ride with you sometime and get better educated.
    Just so you know....in real life, my company is not highly prized by other mtb'ers.

Your'e in America's Finest City, right?

mtbr member
    I don't run tubeless myself, but I've heard pretty consistently that many of the Kendas are fairly porous in the sidewalls.
    I have Nevegal Pro 2.2 F/SB8 2.1 R and add 3-5 lbs about once every 4 rides...so for some say "bad", I say "good" .

I have STD amount of Stans Goop in each tire.

I too am an independent thinker and seem to be the only guy here likes Kenda

I live in SD and work and ride weekday afternoons in North County.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I have Nevegal Pro 2.2 F/SB8 2.1 R and add 3-5 lbs about once every 4 rides...so for some say "bad", I say "good" .

I have STD amount of Stans Goop in each tire.

I too am an independent thinker and seem to be the only guy here likes Kenda

I live in SD and work and ride weekday afternoons in North County.
    That would be the newer version of the Nevegal? I've yet to see one , but it looks like an improvement in the Nev's problem areas.

For me, I'm down in the San Diego/ Point Loma area. I ride mostly after dark, when all of the local trails are miraculously open.

mtbr member
    That would be the newer version of the Nevegal? I've yet to see one , but it looks like an improvement in the Nev's problem areas.

For me, I'm down in the San Diego/ Point Loma area. I ride mostly after dark, when all of the local trails are miraculously open.
    I live near UTC. I have full lights and would love a lesson in night riding. Never rode MTN at night. Not aware Nevegals ever had problems, I used the older ones too, with tubes, always GREAT.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I live near UTC. I have full lights and would love a lesson in night riding. Never rode MTN at night. Not aware Nevegals ever had problems, I used the older ones too, with tubes, always GREAT.
    PM will be sent.

mtbr member
    had one good ride on those El Moco tires. They were remarkable compared to the WTB Velo's

mtbr member
    So i've gotten 2 pinch flats probably within the last 50 miles of riding. I currently ride with what my bike came with 27.5 schwable nobby nics. Has anyone experienced the same with this tire? I am thinking the sidewall is flexible compared to most tires. I remember changing tubes on my old bike the tire was super stiff to pry off, the nobby nics seem really easy with a lever. First pinch flat was on equine loop at elfin forest, jumped a rock and landed on the side of a rock. 2 huge slits in the tube, flat within 1-2 seconds... today was fairly simple, on a downhill bunny hopped over a large rut landed on a side of another rut and i felt my back tire flex. Slowly losing air. Both times my tube was properly pumped up and not aired down... Has anyone experienced what seems to be soft sidewalls on Nobby Nics?
    What was funny is that i was thinking prior to this "wow i haven't had a flat on my new bike within the first 150 miles!" Then it went downhill!

banned
    Sep 2012
    So i've gotten 2 pinch flats probably within the last 50 miles of riding. I currently ride with what my bike came with 27.5 schwable nobby nics. Has anyone experienced the same with this tire? I am thinking the sidewall is flexible compared to most tires. I remember changing tubes on my old bike the tire was super stiff to pry off, the nobby nics seem really easy with a lever. First pinch flat was on equine loop at elfin forest, jumped a rock and landed on the side of a rock. 2 huge slits in the tube, flat within 1-2 seconds... today was fairly simple, on a downhill bunny hopped over a large rut landed on a side of another rut and i felt my back tire flex. Slowly losing air. Both times my tube was properly pumped up and not aired down... Has anyone experienced what seems to be soft sidewalls on Nobby Nics?
    What was funny is that i was thinking prior to this "wow i haven't had a flat on my new bike within the first 150 miles!" Then it went downhill!
    Nobby Nics are a bit "balloon" like but I have never run them with tubes. I have heard of people having pinch flat issues with them when running tubes. My front tire is a NN and I have put over 700 miles on it and it still has life in it. My rear came with a NN as well but I changed that out because my wife bought me a new one and it currently has probably 400-500 miles on it and it's showing some wear but not too bad. I have had good luck with mine I guess and am interested in the new version they put out that addresses a lot of the complaints of the version you are running.

Have you thought about going tubeless? I have not had a flat or any issue at all since I converted.

Here's my rear NN showing some spots where the Stan's sealed up some thorn holes. I'm not saying everyone has to go tubeless, just communicating my experience with it so far. Being able to run lower PSI is nice.. I am just over 200lbs geared up too so not a lightweight. The sidewalls have held up well for me and I have been in some sharp rocky stuff on rides.

Best tire for So Cals dry dusty conditions?-image.jpg

New NN's:

Schwalbe 2015 Nobby Nic - Review - Pinkbike

b a n n e d
    I've been running a Vittoria Barzo - a brand I had never heard of - here in Vegas, which has almost the same terrain as SoCal. I'm super impressed with this tire so far. Its fast, but corners like a railcar. Very predictable grip, even in loose-over-hardpack. It was a huge PITA to mount, but now that its on there, I'm happy. Reasonably priced, too. We'll see how long it lasts . . . .

I have also given up completely on Stans. Orange Seal has been so much better so far. No boogers, no air loss between rides, no seeping and doesn't dry out nearly as fast.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

banned
    Sep 2012
    ^I have heard good things about Orange Seal but haven't had any issues with Stan's and still have a bottle of it left so might as well use it up. I have pulled some monster boogers out of my tires but other than that it's done it's job. I check my pressure every ride and haven't noticed too much PSI loss (maybe since I have Stan's rims it works well with them?). Might just have to try the OS though since there aren't any boogers and it doesn't dry up as quickly.

mtbr member
    how can i tell if my rims are made for tubeless? here is the spec sheet for my bike copied from the website.
    WHEELS:
    Rims Giant S-XC2, double wall
    Hubs Giant Sport Tracker, [F] 15mm axle, [R] 135x5mm system integrated QR
    Spokes Stainless Steel, 14g
    Tires Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance, folding ready, 27.5x2.25

mtbr member
    with two very recent flats makes me consider buying a co2/hand pump style bike pump... save me some time pumping! Anyone recommend a good one? Any way you set the PSI and then it fills to that point?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Lately iv been riding a kenda nevigal, for me this tire has been performing great through dry, wet and mucky climets. I highly recommend thid true to anyone that needs a good tire for anything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have ridden those tires for a long time now and I loved them, but now i recently ride a nevigal and it's the best tire iv ever ridden

banned
    Sep 2012
    with two very recent flats makes me consider buying a co2/hand pump style bike pump... save me some time pumping! Anyone recommend a good one? Any way you set the PSI and then it fills to that point?
    I bring this one with me on the trail (link/pic below). It takes both threaded and non-threaded Co2 cartridges. The only times I have used it were to practice so I made sure I knew how it worked before going out on the trail, one time when I was still running tubes and got a thorn type puncture that I patched and was able to inflate with this, and another time while riding a rented bike running tubes in the bike park at Snow Summit and got a pinch flat. Every time I was able to inflate the tire just fine to a pressure that would get me down the trail. I bought a hand pump awhile back and returned it after trying it out before hitting the trails and realized it would take me too long to pump up a tire. Now I just carry at least 2 Co2 cartridges and if I am on a remote ride I will carry 3.

As far as the PSI goes, you can carry a reader in your pack but for me when I get a flat I am just trying to get back to the car/home to avoid any further issues to where I would have to walk so PSI isn't important as long as it feels firm enough to ride on.

Genuine Innovations UltraFlate Plus CO2 Tire Inflator

banned
    Sep 2012
    how can i tell if my rims are made for tubeless? here is the spec sheet for my bike copied from the website.
    WHEELS:
    Rims Giant S-XC2, double wall
    Hubs Giant Sport Tracker, [F] 15mm axle, [R] 135x5mm system integrated QR
    Spokes Stainless Steel, 14g
    Tires Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance, folding ready, 27.5x2.25
    Not sure if those are tubeless ready rims but my guess is they are not if they are not listed as such in the specs of your bike/model. You most likely need to get a kit to convert to tubeless which means you will have to tape the rim and put in a tubeless valve core, pretty easy stuff. Look at your rim with the tire off or pulled back and see if there is tape on the inside of it, often the tape will say something to the effect of "tubeless ready." There are also ways of converting rims to tubeless called "ghetto tubeless" which means you skip buying a kit and just tape the rims with Gorilla tape (or similar) and buy the valve cores and sealant separately (search for threads on here about that, i don't know much about ghetto tubeless because my rims have all been tubeless ready).

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Lately I have men riding that tire and it's my favourite. Great for any terrain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Wow that is exactly what I need for the trial.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I ride nevigal as well, they are great while they last.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Nobby Nics are a bit "balloon" like but I have never run them with tubes. I have heard of people having pinch flat issues with them when running tubes. My front tire is a NN and I have put over 700 miles on it and it still has life in it. My rear came with a NN as well but I changed that out because my wife bought me a new one and it currently has probably 400-500 miles on it and it's showing some wear but not too bad. I have had good luck with mine I guess and am interested in the new version they put out that addresses a lot of the complaints of the version you are running.

Have you thought about going tubeless? I have not had a flat or any issue at all since I converted.

Here's my rear NN showing some spots where the Stan's sealed up some thorn holes. I'm not saying everyone has to go tubeless, just communicating my experience with it so far. Being able to run lower PSI is nice.. I am just over 200lbs geared up too so not a lightweight. The sidewalls have held up well for me and I have been in some sharp rocky stuff on rides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	945287

New NN's:

Schwalbe 2015 Nobby Nic - Review - Pinkbike

I have seen those tires on the trail before. I love nevigals, but I must give these a tought

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast