Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 285
  1. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,867
    I have run Hans Dampf front and rear. Front is awesome, rear sticks like glue which I did not like. Yes, I said it has too much traction. I also destroyed the rear in less than 150 miles. No sidewall cuts or anything like that, just literally wore it out tore off knobs etc. Despite the fact that the tire looked beat to crap I did not notice ANY loss of traction. I really only took it off because I wanted something that moved around a little more. Went to a Specialized Captain in the rear which I like a lot. Good traction climbing and very predictable when getting loose going downhill.

  2. #127
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,372
    Anyone got any updates on their tires? I'm going to be picking up some WTB Bronson's and possibly a Moto to try out.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  3. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    380
    Just got a tubeless set up of Hans Dampf in the front and Racing Ralph UST in the back. First ride was good, but I'm reading more about the RR not doing so well because of the sidewalks. Hope I didn't just make a mistake-- those tires are pricey!

  4. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    380
    Uh, I meant sidewalls, not sidewalks. Auto correction on the iPad...

    Pretty sure that these tires are okay to run on sidewalks, although I prefer dirt.

  5. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    42
    My racing Ralph non-snake skins have held up fine in pq and hurkey creek. I will test them at noble in a few weeks and will post the results. I am a bit timid at noble so it may not the best data point. I am more curious if the 29 racing ralph tread pattern will be adequate for temecula in June? I have only raced there with the rain soaked trails.

  6. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by martindfletcher View Post
    My racing Ralph non-snake skins have held up fine in pq and hurkey creek. I will test them at noble in a few weeks and will post the results. I am a bit timid at noble so it may not the best data point. I am more curious if the 29 racing ralph tread pattern will be adequate for temecula in June? I have only raced there with the rain soaked trails.
    Martin - let me know what you think. I think I've got the same tires. So far, Hodges and PQ seemed fine (actually, great) with my RRs. I'm sure that I'm just using the interweb to second guess my impulse purchase of the Schwalbe and that tires will be fine. I'm riding the Arch for the first time next Saturday, so I'm hoping that I don't tempt fate with a sidewall blowout then!

  7. #132
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,372
    Update: I ran the WTB Bronson in R and Moto F for about 6-7 months. I liked the combo, but the Bronson definitely was better than the Moto. Can't really run them at too low a PSI though as I've recently learned. Much below 30 and they start getting squirelly and I dented a rim. The bronson also wore out much much faster than the Moto.

    I just ordered a Hans Dampf 2.35 Pacestar SS Evo for the front and a Nobby Nic 2.25 Pacestar SS Evo for the rear. ($125 shipped, so these better be good!).
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  8. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    652
    I really like my Purgatory 2.2" on the front here in So-Cal. Great grip, and they are super easy to run tubeless. I run the Ground Control on the rear and am pretty happy with that was well. My buddy loves his WTB Bronsons too.

  9. #134
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,372
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    I really like my Purgatory 2.2" on the front here in So-Cal. Great grip, and they are super easy to run tubeless. I run the Ground Control on the rear and am pretty happy with that was well. My buddy loves his WTB Bronsons too.
    This setup was also recommended to me by a trusted shop employee.

    I'm hoping to like the Schwalbes, but I'm not really loyal to any particular tire yet. Also on my agenda to try is the Continental Rubber Queen (or whatever its called now).
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  10. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Update: I ran the WTB Bronson in R and Moto F for about 6-7 months. I liked the combo, but the Bronson definitely was better than the Moto. Can't really run them at too low a PSI though as I've recently learned. Much below 30 and they start getting squirelly and I dented a rim. The bronson also wore out much much faster than the Moto.

    I just ordered a Hans Dampf 2.35 Pacestar SS Evo for the front and a Nobby Nic 2.25 Pacestar SS Evo for the rear. ($125 shipped, so these better be good!).
    I have been running the exact Schwallbe combo you ordered for about a year and really like it. The NN didnt last as long as I would have liked but still a good combo.

  11. #136
    OMR - Old Man Riding
    Reputation: mtber3737's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    429
    Have been running the Panaracer CGs for the last year on my Tallboy. I'm surprised at how well they roll considerring how beefy they are. Excellent tire for our conditions here.
    Older than Dirt!!!

  12. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,729
    I have been running a set of Maxxis Aspen 2.1 tires
    on my Superfly 100 29er. I really like them for my dry,
    hard over lose SoCal trails.

  13. #138
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,242
    My S-Works Ground Controls (front & rear) have held up really well for a solid 6 months now. They don't like slick mud but that's not the norm here. They are grippy sons-a-b!tches in loose-over-hard. No slide outs with these in the turns and they run well through average sand traps.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  14. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    888
    After running cut nevegals in the front and standard nevegals in the rear for the past year all I can say is that I'm having no complaints with this setup. Whether its super dry or that good ole super grippy saturated soil, this setup hooks up. I'm liking this setup so much that I'm just sticking with it for another season or at least until they wear out.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

    Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

  15. #140
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,372
    Quote Originally Posted by camarosam View Post
    After running cut nevegals in the front and standard nevegals in the rear for the past year all I can say is that I'm having no complaints with this setup. Whether its super dry or that good ole super grippy saturated soil, this setup hooks up. I'm liking this setup so much that I'm just sticking with it for another season or at least until they wear out.
    I like the grip that nevegals offered and they definitely last . . . they are quite slow rolling though, which you definitely feel on extended climbs.

    My Schwalbe's just got here today . . . I'll probably run the WTB's until they are dead gone (which won't take long) and throw them on.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  16. #141
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,242
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I like the grip that nevegals offered and they definitely last . . . they are quite slow rolling though, which you definitely feel on extended climbs.

    My Schwalbe's just got here today . . . I'll probably run the WTB's until they are dead gone (which won't take long) and throw them on.
    You've got plenty of time to get the new tires mounted and sealed before Saturday.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  17. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    191
    I just started running a Hans Dampf Trailstar on the front the last 2 weeks, I am in love with this tire, I hope it holds up, best front I've had so far.

  18. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I like the grip that nevegals offered and they definitely last . . . they are quite slow rolling though, which you definitely feel on extended climbs.

    My Schwalbe's just got here today . . . I'll probably run the WTB's until they are dead gone (which won't take long) and throw them on.
    Yeah they do roll slow, but now that the rear tire has worn to about half way, the rear tire is rolling a bit faster. They also have a more chunky feel to them if that makes sense, which I don't like, but they don't bother me enough yet to try another setup. I'm still contemplating my next tire setup.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

    Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

  19. #144
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,372
    Well, I've got a few miles now on the HD/NN setup, and I'm not too impressed with the NN. It seems to spin out pretty easily in comparison to the Bronson it replaced. Perhaps I'm running too much air pressure? I dunno . . . its up at 30 PSI. I can also see that it's wearing pretty quickly. I'm going to give it a go through its usable life, but as of now I don't think I'll be buying another NN. The HD is pretty good though for sure.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  20. #145
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,242
    ^ You saw for yourself on our last ride just how well Spesh GC grips on the slippery, tech climbs.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  21. #146
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerfectZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    It seems to spin out pretty easily
    you sure that was because of your tires?
    Last edited by PerfectZero; 03-26-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    definite malingerer

  22. #147
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,242
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    you sure that was because of your tires? :
    Ya know, I kinda didn't want to say anything to him out on the trail about that, but...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  23. #148
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,372
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    you sure that was because of your tires?
    Definitely sure. My legs are so powerful that I'd probably be breaking chains on a regular basis if the tires didn't give.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  24. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Well, I've got a few miles now on the HD/NN setup, and I'm not too impressed with the NN. It seems to spin out pretty easily in comparison to the Bronson it replaced. Perhaps I'm running too much air pressure? I dunno . . . its up at 30 PSI. I can also see that it's wearing pretty quickly. I'm going to give it a go through its usable life, but as of now I don't think I'll be buying another NN. The HD is pretty good though for sure.
    In my opinion, the big volume Schwalbe tires really come to life around 20 psi. I loved my NN rear at that pressure. This was on a relatively wide rim.

  25. #150
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,372
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    In my opinion, the big volume Schwalbe tires really come to life around 20 psi. I loved my NN rear at that pressure. This was on a relatively wide rim.
    Holy hell . . . 20psi?! I'd be worried about denting rims! I'm running a WTB i23 too, which does have a wide profile. Maybe I'll try lowering it a touch.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 04:42 PM
  2. Squeeeeeeky brakes with dusty conditions ?!
    By jhruth in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 08:57 PM
  3. Best tire for dry, dusty conditions?
    By iron1 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 04:22 PM
  4. Tire Recs for rocky, dusty, gravel conditions
    By Lungs_on_Fire in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 07:49 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 09:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •