Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Wow, these 2.5 minions sure are small compared to my 2.5 nevegal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Using calipers, I measure 2.25" knob-to-knob on my wire bead "2.5" DH Minions. It's pretty annoying.

My "2.3" Butchers measure 2.24" knob-to-knob.

Do you have a chance to measure the Nevegals? I'm looking forward to trying out a set once my Minions burn though.

mtbr member
    No calipers here but I'll measure them tomorrow. Just know it looks much beefier than the minion. Gonna be giving the minion a shot this friday so I'll see how it holds up. I was going to run a minion out front too but seeing how skinny it is compared to the nevegal, I don't think that is going to happen. Currently running a 2.5 nevegal in front with the "2.5" 3c minion out back. All downhill here...

What setup are you running? Review on the minions? Where you riding?
    Last edited by slimphatty; 01-31-2012 at 11:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm sorry for the hijacking guys, I'll try to stop after this post!

Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I think you need a revelation more than tires. Someone needs to get you on a reliable single speed and have you put 2 small water bottles on it and have you put your tools in your pockets or fix them to the frame (trim that down to just one multi-tool or none at all). No spare tube, no armor, just you, your shoes, helmet, and some light clothes (don't even need chamois, since there will be so little weight resting in the saddle) and you hopping on your bike like that. Just rely on your bike and your skills to get you through and back safely. That would be the exact opposite of what you're doing. Once you do that, you will realize the amount of freedom you have and how much fun it enables you to have. Your ass won't be sore at the end of the ride, you will maneuver out of the saddle more, you will be more willing to push your techniques more. All excess weight you're carrying is holding you back about 2,000% more than your tires.

Also, you're not riding in sand?
    Varaxis, I can understand your point but around 1/4 of my rides end up with flat tyres (nails in the Sully Cyn single track, broken glass on the roads, etc) and it would REALLY suck to have to walk my bike 15 miles back home.

I've crashed hard on top of baby heads, and if it weren't for the armour I would have had broken bones or worse. I don't want to get life-flighted out of there. The armour allows me to try trails that I normally wouldn't be able to. It also gives my wife peace of mind, and she's in Sweden unable to bail me out if I become incapacitated.

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    This to me sounds like a bike fitment issue. Have you had a proper professional bike fit? Maybe just going in with your rig to have them review your setup might be worthwhile.

Secondly, have you tried flats lately? Greater freedom of movement on the pedal might make a big difference. It'd be a SIMPLE and CHEAP experiment. You could grab a set of flats for uber cheap, maybe even free if you have a good relationship with your LBS, to test it out.

I'm curious, what kind of bike do you ride that you think its too wimpy? I've ridden most of the major trails near West LA including Jedi, etc. on my Blur LT and feel most of the time that I have TOO much bike. Not trying to flame . . . just curious
    I've never had my bike professionally fitted, but I think it's more a problem of my riding "philosophy" than anything else. If I ride with friends, we're done long before I get tired or any hints of cramps. If I ride alone (which is 99% of the time), my "philosophy" is to ride away from home until something hurts so much that I can't possible continue. Then I turn around and try to make it back home. For a long time I used to make huge improvements in the distance I could go before turning back, but now I have to fight for every extra foot I lengthen my ride with.

I clip in only when I'm on the roads or something smooth. When I'm on the technical stuff or really steep climbs, I clip out so that I can shift my feet around. I have Crank Bros Mallets, which have a nice platform for being clipped in or out. I like it a lot since I get the benefits of both.

About my bike, it's an '08 Giant Trance X, which I believe is an XC bike. It's certainly not as beefy as all the other bikes I see on Jedi. I sometimes question if it's smart of me to be riding on trails like Jedi that have all those jumps and ruts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run specialized butcher 2.3 in the rear and a specialized clutch 2.3 in the front.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    bump. my nobby nics 2.25 that came on my trance x2 are starting to wear out and im not very happy with them. trying to decide what i wanna get.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That's funny because I have Kenda Nevegal 2.1 on my Trance x1 right now, and I just got Nobby Nic 2.1 to try out next. What about the NN's weren't you happy with? For me, I liked the Nevegals but wanted to try something faster rolling & tubeless/sealant friendly.

kite surfer
    Feb 2007
    Why don't you consider maxxis highrollers!

Trail Ninja
    You just need a certain riding style to like the NN. They're not really secure gripping. They're more for the types that actually like to get sketchy, assuming you have fun by getting sketchy. If you're the type that likes it stable and just like to cruise on a solid line and simply hold on and hope your bike gets you through when **** gets gnarly, it's likely not for you. If you like to swing your back tire around, skip and hop over stuff, pump the undulations of the ground, and get sideways, and think that if you're not crashing, you're not going hard enough, the NN might be just for you. If you're not already riding like that or aiming to ride like that, I doubt it'd help your riding become like that.

Takes a certain riding style to like Nevs. I think they're more for solo riders, beginners, and those trying to learn, as it gives confidence in the crash prone areas. They're def slow, so if you're riding with faster guys, they're part to blame for you holding up the group. When venturing unfamiliar trails, they're trusty tires to have.

I'd recommend the WTB Bronson TCS AM tires, but they're really expensive. They're as grippy as Nevs and faster, tougher, and tubeless compatible. Excellent front tire, I've found. After riding Fat Alberts, their grip was actually too much for me. Not as fast feeling, but overall times wouldn't be any worse in low traction and twisty trails. I'd take the Bronson over a NN, Nev, High Roller, or Fat Albert if I were competing in something like a Super D, at least on the front. High Roller would be my second choice in that bunch though, since I'm so familiar with its riding characteristics and that it's simply a good balance of speed and grip (with noteworthy cornering performance).

I've ridden for 10s of thousands of miles and never got a flat from glass and stuff, including riding road. Half the time it's some sort of thorn (goathead), like devil head acorn thingees from trees, or slivers of metal, or bits of wire that are used for stakes for small signs. I stopped doing the low pressure-high volume tire thing a while ago, despite being a lightweight due to pinch flat risk, considering the kind of stuff I like to do during my ride. I've tried tubeless, but there's issues of losing the tubeless seal on the trail... never looks good to be leaking Stan's all over. You'll learn conversions straight up suck, especially if you try a tubeless system. On most of my bikes, I just put some sealant in my tubes.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 03-16-2012 at 01:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTimeCRX View Post
    That's funny because I have Kenda Nevegal 2.1 on my Trance x1 right now, and I just got Nobby Nic 2.1 to try out next. What about the NN's weren't you happy with? For me, I liked the Nevegals but wanted to try something faster rolling & tubeless/sealant friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    You just need a certain riding style to like the NN. They're not really secure gripping. They're more for the types that actually like to get sketchy, assuming you have fun by getting sketchy. If you're the type that likes it stable and just like to cruise on a solid line and simply hold on and hope your bike gets you through when **** gets gnarly, it's likely not for you. =.
    Varaxis pretty much nailed it on the head. im also pretty shocked my nn on the rear are wearing so fast. I also cant seem to find the right pressure to run these tires at.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos View Post
    Another vote for the Specialized Captain Control, even better 2bliss at about 28psi.

About the only 29er tire I really didn't like was the Continental Mtn King - seemed maybe it was made for wetter rooty conditions like the NW/NE. Could have also just been user error.
    Yup, I love the Captain Control. Never tried it 2bliss though.

b a n n e d
    Anybody have experience with WTB tires here in SoCal? The Bronson and Moto both look like contenders . . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Ninja Master Powers
    I put on Hans Dampf's and so far they have been perfect....

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    I put on Hans Dampf's and so far they have been perfect....
    Front and rear? How long have you had them?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anybody have experience with WTB tires here in SoCal? The Bronson and Moto both look like contenders . . . .
    WTB Prowler MX 2.5 race is a great front tire.

Ninja Master Powers
    Front and rear? How long have you had them?
    Yes, front and rear for about a month or 6 weeks now.

The rear I find slips a little on short steep climbs, not much just the occasional little spin.
    But point em down bill and the just stick.

mtbr member
    those w/ NN that are satisfied do you have the EVO or performance rubber? my oem ones are "performance" which ive read arent as good as the evo.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    Yes, front and rear for about a month or 6 weeks now.

The rear I find slips a little on short steep climbs, not much just the occasional little spin.
    But point em down bill and the just stick.
    I've heard similar concerns about rear traction. I'm sold on the HD up front . . . just need to decide on a rear. I'm thinking a NN . . .

I'm going to ask you again in a month (if I remember!) to see how they are wearing. Ive heard that they wear out quick.

banned
    i always liked the 2.4 motoraptor out there

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    i always liked the 2.4 motoraptor out there
    I think its been replaced by just "Moto" . . . but it does look like a good tire. I've got a set if WTB i23's being built up and the WTB tires would work well (though others would too). I might give the Moto's a try.

The "WeriWolf" is purportedly their "flagship" AM tire . . . but it looks like it might sacrifice a little grip in the loose stuff.

mtbr member
    Just picked up some Bontrager XR4 Teams in 2.35 for my NomadC! Havent been out yet, any takes on these???

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've read great reviews about WTB tires in socal. From what I've read they perform very well on loose over hard pack conditions.

I think a lot of riders run the weirwolf, but I could be mistaken.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by camarosam View Post
    I've read great reviews about WTB tires in socal. From what I've read they perform very well on loose over hard pack conditions.

I think a lot of riders run the weirwolf, but I could be mistaken.
    I've had great performance from Wolverine 2.2s.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i put a weirwolf 2.3 up front with a captain control 2.2 rear on a friends enduro and that worked wellin most so cal conditions except for when there was a whole lot of loose sand over hard.

when i got my enduro it had a butcher 2.3 up front with a purgatory rear. this combo was good when the tires were new, but it wasnt long before they just kinda stopped holding traction in turns.

i now have a set of the hans dampf (trailstar tubeless) front and rear with about 100 miles on them and i am loving them so far. i havent run into any issues with the rear slipping at all when climbing.

a friend also just had an SX trail built up with the hans damp front and rear.
    Juice

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Just picked up some Bontrager XR4 Teams in 2.35 for my NomadC! Havent been out yet, any takes on these???
    I have been running the new XR4 on the rear of mine, the 2.25 and love it. I have pushed it hard and it hooks up well!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast