Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 346
  1. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Holy hell . . . 20psi?! I'd be worried about denting rims! I'm running a WTB i23 too, which does have a wide profile. Maybe I'll try lowering it a touch.
    The only time I've ever pinged mine was casing a curb hop at about 25 mph. Even then, there was no damage... I just heard the spokes make noise. The NNs are wide enough that they give really good rim protection even at low pressures.

  2. #152
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    You just need a certain riding style to like the NN. They're not really secure gripping. They're more for the types that actually like to get sketchy, assuming you have fun by getting sketchy. If you're the type that likes it stable and just like to cruise on a solid line and simply hold on and hope your bike gets you through when **** gets gnarly, it's likely not for you. If you like to swing your back tire around, skip and hop over stuff, pump the undulations of the ground, and get sideways, and think that if you're not crashing, you're not going hard enough, the NN might be just for you. If you're not already riding like that or aiming to ride like that, I doubt it'd help your riding become like that.
    So to update my experience with the Schwalbe's (not that anyone other than me cares), lowering the PSI in the NN helped, tremendously. I went from 32PSI down to 30, and now down to 27 and its certainly getting better. Much more drive grip now . . . BUT, Varaxis NAILED it on this tire getting sketchy in the rear. This tire LOVES to break loose . . . the question is, whether or not you like that. For me, I think if I were to get used to it and really learn its "breaking point," it could be a tremendously fun tire. I'm definitely going to stick with it, and keep experimenting with the pressures.

    One things for SURE though, there is no way I'd ever think of running a NN as a front tire. None.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  3. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,376
    Specialized Ground Control tires won the MBA tire shoot out this year. These are fantastic all around tires for So Cal.

  4. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    So to update my experience with the Schwalbe's (not that anyone other than me cares), lowering the PSI in the NN helped, tremendously. I went from 32PSI down to 30, and now down to 27 and its certainly getting better. Much more drive grip now . . . BUT, Varaxis NAILED it on this tire getting sketchy in the rear. This tire LOVES to break loose . . . the question is, whether or not you like that. For me, I think if I were to get used to it and really learn its "breaking point," it could be a tremendously fun tire. I'm definitely going to stick with it, and keep experimenting with the pressures.

    One things for SURE though, there is no way I'd ever think of running a NN as a front tire. None.
    I'm not exactly a shredder, but I felt like the NN really opened up my skills in breaking the back end loose. I also felt like it held a line well in the back while doing slow tech stuff, at least better than the Racing Ralph I have in the back now.

    I ran NN front and rear for awhile on my Tallboy, and I liked it. I'm running Hans Dampf front and RaRa rear right now. The RaRa just doesn't have enough grip for me in loose over hard.

  5. #155
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I'm not exactly a shredder, but I felt like the NN really opened up my skills in breaking the back end loose. I also felt like it held a line well in the back while doing slow tech stuff, at least better than the Racing Ralph I have in the back now.

    I ran NN front and rear for awhile on my Tallboy, and I liked it. I'm running Hans Dampf front and RaRa rear right now. The RaRa just doesn't have enough grip for me in loose over hard.
    You are correct that the NN does do well in the slow/tech . . . plenty of grip and drive traction, but at speed it does break. I kinda like it for now, but we'll see when it throws me to the dirt.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  6. #156
    Singletrack Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    108
    I just rode Sedona (I know, the thread is SoCal) with a brand new Nobby Nic 26 x 2.4 on the rear and my old Fat Albert 2.4 on the front. NN was around 28psi. In the technical stuff it held fine, the slickrock it was fine, and in loose it seemed to do OK. Its supposedly good for loose loamy stuff, which makes sense with the taller blocks. I like the lightweight (650g) compared to other 2.35/2.4 tires. I switched a Fat Albert rear for the NN, and it seems to track a single line vs. the Fat Albert which, to borrow a surfing term, feels like a swallow tail, where it tracks on one side or the other.

    I should also add that my NN is the PaceStar compound, but I think I should have gone with the TrailStar.
    Last edited by ShiverMeTimbers; 04-15-2013 at 10:03 AM.

  7. #157
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    331
    Well I finally switched my tires and settled on a rocket ron up front and the ralph out back. The Ron was awesome right out of the gate. Plenty of grip where I was needing it. Im still working on a magic tire pressure for the ralph but overall Im liking these tires. I would love a more aggressive tire then the ralph but I was concerned with rolling resistance as lately ive been riding to the trailheads from home.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

  8. #158
    XC Hack
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Specialized Ground Control tires won the MBA tire shoot out this year. These are fantastic all around tires for So Cal.
    I absolutely love them. To me, they are the best combo of price, climbing, rolling, and cornering for XC or AM. I run a 2.3 in front and a 2.1 in back.

  9. #159
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by fongster View Post
    I absolutely love them. To me, they are the best combo of price, climbing, rolling, and cornering for XC or AM. I run a 2.3 in front and a 2.1 in back.
    Interesting combo. I might try the same for out here.

    Currently running the stocker Specialized Adrenalines 26 x 2.00" F/R.
    2005 FSR XC Comp
    2012 Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact

  10. #160
    XC Hack
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTRondogg View Post
    Interesting combo. I might try the same for out here.

    Currently running the stocker Specialized Adrenalines 26 x 2.00" F/R.
    I was using the 2.1s F and R but my LBS was out of the 2.1s when I needed a new rear. A shop guy reco'd trying a 2.3 on the front and move the still good 2.1 to replace the worn rear saying that I could return it if I didn't like it. I thought that I'd feel the extra weight and area of the 2.3 but it rolled better than the 2.1 up front--I didn't notice any add'l rotating weight. Rather than bounce over trail irregularities, it smoothly rolled over them so I spent my energy going forward. As for descending, the 2.3 increased my confidence cornering--it had much better grab than the 2.1 up front. BTW, I have the "Control" version not the "S-works".

  11. #161
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    331
    The 2.1/2.3 ground control combo was what I would have run if my LBS still carried specialized. Its highly recommended by many of my friends.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

  12. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    571
    I run Maxxis Ardent 2.25 up front and 2.1 small block in the back! Live up the High Desert area and handles the trails like a boss

  13. #163
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    Well, my NN's sure didn't last long. Already got a nice hole in them that stans wouldnt seal. I have a tube in there for now, and will keep the tire for the rest of its useable life, but the knobs are showing severe wear already. People weren't kidding when they said that Schwalbe's wear out fast . . . at least as a rear tire. The HD in the front is still good. Next up is a continental . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  14. #164
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,376
    ^Try a Spesh Ground Control in back next.

  15. #165
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    ^Try a Spesh Ground Control in back next.
    Too close to the NN . . . I need some contrast to really get the feel of the tread. Too bad about the NN too . . . it was a fun tire.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  16. #166
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,376
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Too close to the NN . . . I need some contrast to really get the feel of the tread. Too bad about the NN too . . . it was a fun tire.
    Then it is to say that you are not happy with the performance of the NN?
    Last edited by Hawg; 04-28-2013 at 03:51 PM.

  17. #167
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    No, I liked it . . . it was fun, and I'm just starting to learn its habits. It is just wearing out way too fast and already has holes in it. I'm sure the GC will be very similar, but I want to try something else to get a good contrast.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  18. #168
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,416
    I put a 2.2 Captain Control on front a couple months ago and like it. I have a Fast Trak Control on the rear which works as well. I did almost wash out the other day though since the trails have been getting more sand/dust build up. No clue how I saved myself from going down but I was able to get the bike back under me and spent the next several seconds with that blood rush "holy chit" feeling through my body. I am looking to branch out and try a new tire setup for summer though. Not sure if the fact that I am running tubes contributed to my near wash out the other day. I have had luck with no flats since getting my new bike but I think I want to just pull the trigger on tubeless to run a lower PSI for grip help.

  19. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,376
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    No, I liked it . . . it was fun, and I'm just starting to learn its habits.
    Sounds like it was drastically different than your last rear tire?

    So the question is: Does the NN offer more of what you are hoping for from a rear tire or less than the last?

  20. #170
    XC Hack
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    I put a 2.2 Captain Control on front a couple months ago and like it. I have a Fast Trak Control on the rear which works as well. I did almost wash out the other day though since the trails have been getting more sand/dust build up. No clue how I saved myself from going down but I was able to get the bike back under me and spent the next several seconds with that blood rush "holy chit" feeling through my body. I am looking to branch out and try a new tire setup for summer though. Not sure if the fact that I am running tubes contributed to my near wash out the other day. I have had luck with no flats since getting my new bike but I think I want to just pull the trigger on tubeless to run a lower PSI for grip help.
    I washed out 2X with The Captain up front (I wasn't able to save it and my forearm and leg paid the price). Something about the design that breaks loose for me. I put them on my wife's bike but she rides a lot slower and doesn't lean her bike at all. I'm enjoying the Ground Controls as posted earlier.

  21. #171
    Let's build one more
    Reputation: Dirtrider127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    673
    Was running nevagals front and rear on my pivot but I just switched to a HD trailstar in front and a Slant 6 in rear. Much faster combo without a doubt. It noticed it quickly in the very first ride on them. My front seemed like it wanted to wash out with the Nev but haven't seen it yet with the utrailstar. The slant 6 doesn't seem to have the same traction climbing on those slow, loose rocky sections but its not a big deal. It will just spins a bit easier. I'm happy with the combo and looking to see how they last
    Ryan McLatchy, you are my hero

    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

    -Urban Yeti

  22. #172
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerfectZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,189
    I also just replaced my nevegal/slant six combo. Switched to a bronson in front and an x-king in back. So far its awesome, huge difference in rolling resistance. I also had problems with the slant six's spinning out if I wasn't careful.
    buzzes like a fridge

  23. #173
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,336
    Just picked up a Ground Control "2.3" for use as a rear tire. Other than the fact that the tire isn't even 2.2 when mounted on my wide chinese carbon rims, I'm looking forward to testing it out. Hopefully it is going to stretch out some.

  24. #174
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    16
    my LBS recommended continental baron 2.3 on the front and i put a 2.2 trail king on the rear both with the black chili compound, handles excellent on the dusty/sandy trails of so-cal really grips well and it does look like a knobby tire but rolls very smoothly. You will no longer be drifting through the sandy corners but railing them.

  25. #175
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,398
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Well, my NN's sure didn't last long. Already got a nice hole in them that stans wouldnt seal. I have a tube in there for now, and will keep the tire for the rest of its useable life, but the knobs are showing severe wear already. People weren't kidding when they said that Schwalbe's wear out fast . . . at least as a rear tire. The HD in the front is still good. Next up is a continental . . .
    The lighter casings on Schwalbe do not hold up great to aggressive riding. I have been running MK 2.4's on the rear paired with the HD up front and love the combo. Was running the 2.2 MK's, but was bottoming out the tire on the rim and piercing the casing.

  26. #176
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The lighter casings on Schwalbe do not hold up great to aggressive riding. I have been running MK 2.4's on the rear paired with the HD up front and love the combo. Was running the 2.2 MK's, but was bottoming out the tire on the rim and piercing the casing.
    Are the 2.4's just huge though? I've heard that Conti's run massively wide . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  27. #177
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    231
    1st ride on 2.35 NN I put a small hole, Stans managed to seal it, 2nd ride a rock poked right through the top of the tread and its a useless tire now. Pretty glad I got them from bike discount, ill never buy the non snake skin schwalbes again, they suck. I have a HD snake skin on the front thats held up fine. These tires do seem skirmy on drops though, I can feel it folding over. I'm gonna pass on NN from now on and try HD all around.

  28. #178
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Sounds like it was drastically different than your last rear tire?

    So the question is: Does the NN offer more of what you are hoping for from a rear tire or less than the last?
    The question is do you ride rally car or F1 style? The NN is rally car since it always likes to be sideways. Hans Dampf is F1 and locked in with minimal drift.

  29. #179
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,398
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Are the 2.4's just huge though? I've heard that Conti's run massively wide . . .
    It is a big tire, about the same size as the HD. That being said, on the roller test it was only about 28 watts to spin at 20 MPH vs. the Trailstar HD which was 43 watts. The 2.2 is tough, but on aluminum rims I was having problems. Strangely I never had problems on my carbon wheels. Not sure if there is a correlation there, but I went through three MK 2.2's in 75 days on an aluminum rim.

  30. #180
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,398
    Quote Originally Posted by xhailofgunfirex View Post
    1st ride on 2.35 NN I put a small hole, Stans managed to seal it, 2nd ride a rock poked right through the top of the tread and its a useless tire now. Pretty glad I got them from bike discount, ill never buy the non snake skin schwalbes again, they suck. I have a HD snake skin on the front thats held up fine. These tires do seem skirmy on drops though, I can feel it folding over. I'm gonna pass on NN from now on and try HD all around.
    What weight tire was the NN? I have seen everything from 580 gm to 800 gm based on the casing used.

  31. #181
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The question is do you ride rally car or F1 style? The NN is rally car since it always likes to be sideways. Hans Dampf is F1 and locked in with minimal drift.
    I was just getting used to the rally car style . . .

    I think I'm going to try a MK2.2 for the rear . . . see what happens. It's only money, right?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  32. #182
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The question is do you ride rally car or F1 style? The NN is rally car since it always likes to be sideways. Hans Dampf is F1 and locked in with minimal drift.
    He rides Gangnam Style. Ive seen him.

  33. #183
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    What weight tire was the NN? I have seen everything from 580 gm to 800 gm based on the casing used.
    It's 610 grams, with some dried Stans in there, its the Evo version, Pacestar, TL ready. Looking back now that's probably the lightest casing they have right?

    I ordered the Super Gravity HD's to replace.

  34. #184
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I was just getting used to the rally car style . . .

    I think I'm going to try a MK2.2 for the rear . . . see what happens. It's only money, right?
    Interested to hear your review. I'm looking to switch to Conti's, and I'm not sure if I should just run TKs front and rear or something else.

  35. #185
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    16
    continentals do run a little wide i think on the trail king but the baron looks kinda skinny for a 2.3 but fits in my front for with Ok clearance. the black chili compound is really grippy and can let you do some f1 style turns but when i lock up the rear it will slide predictable. These tire are simply my favorite and don't plan on changing.

    (also the sidewalls have the snake-skin armor)

  36. #186
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    331
    First real trail that I took my schwalbe's out on was SART. The snakeskin rear only had lil scuff marks on the sidewall and the non snakeskin front had fibers sticking out at the scratches. I still run tubes but id bet if i was tubeless it would leak. snakeskin only from here on out.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

  37. #187
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,398
    Quote Originally Posted by xhailofgunfirex View Post
    It's 610 grams, with some dried Stans in there, its the Evo version, Pacestar, TL ready. Looking back now that's probably the lightest casing they have right?

    I ordered the Super Gravity HD's to replace.
    LOL, talk about ends of the spectrum! Yes, that was the 580 gm tire which is made for WC XC racing! The Super Gravity's are 980 gm. You will NOT tear that casing.

  38. #188
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,398
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I was just getting used to the rally car style . . .

    I think I'm going to try a MK2.2 for the rear . . . see what happens. It's only money, right?
    The MK's are still rally style, just at a higher speed! Remember you can't take all that money with you.

  39. #189
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The MK's are still rally style, just at a higher speed! Remember you can't take all that money with you.
    So I should look for a MK2.2 UST w/Black Chili and ProTection/Apex Sidewall? Is that right? does that exist??
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  40. #190
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    So I should look for a MK2.2 UST w/Black Chili and ProTection/Apex Sidewall? Is that right? does that exist??
    These are one of the few Conti 29er tires you can find in Black Chili.

  41. #191
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    I need real tires (i.e., 26") . . . not cheater tires (i.e., 29")
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  42. #192
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerfectZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I need real tires (i.e., 26")
    buzzes like a fridge

  43. #193
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,398
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    So I should look for a MK2.2 UST w/Black Chili and ProTection/Apex Sidewall? Is that right? does that exist??
    No UST, just TR, unless you don't care about weight. The UST are almost 1/2 lb heavier per tire. Bling has them in stock.

    So, 2.2/Protection/Black Chili/Tubless Ready

  44. #194
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    714
    Is tubeless really that beneficial? I feel like with the added weight and the chance of a serious rupture would really ruin a day vice changing out a tube and going from there. Sorry, I am still kinda a newb.

  45. #195
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    Is tubeless really that beneficial? I feel like with the added weight and the chance of a serious rupture would really ruin a day vice changing out a tube and going from there. Sorry, I am still kinda a newb.
    No, the hundreds of pages of tubeless talk here and dozens of companies selling tubeless stuff is all a myth, smoke and mirrors.

  46. #196
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Deleted....double post.

  47. #197
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Dude, you could rock at the velodrome on that rig!

    On a slightly more serious note, I cannot believe that there is a thread in SoCal forum on tires that I have not posted in! I am a self-confessed tire fetishist.

    Currently, on my 26" bikes, I'm running either a Kenda Nev. in 2.1 on the back wheel, and either a SB8 in 2.35 or a Maxxis Ardent in 24 of the front wheel.
    I know, I know....the SB8 should be the REAR tire, you are going to say, but in reality I have found that the 2.35, which is a big, floaty 2.35, on the front wheel grips amazingly well and really works in anything out here other than mud.

    I've decided that the 2.4" Ardent is by far the best and most versatile front tire that I've ever tried, and I have tried just about every other tire mentioned in this thread. And then some. Yes, the tire is a bit heavy, but that is compensated for, IMO, by the superb rolling resistance, so low for such a big tire.

    And speaking of big, I recently replaced my current Ardent 2.4 with a new Ardent 2.4, with the "EXO", or "EVO" casing. (Can't remember which....it starts with an 'E'..). Basically, the same tire as before......and yet, the new tire is so big it just clears under the arch of my beloved old Marz. AM 1, whereas the other one, in just the normal casing had a good 3/8" clearance. I like the new tire a lot, so it's staying on, and the other one is going to replace the SB8 on the front of the singlespeed, just to stop the corrections I constantly receive from other riders who know better than me.

    It's common knowledge that tire size varies widely from brand to brand, even from one model or another made by the same company, but the difference between these 2 Ardent 2.4's is just really astounding.

    Oh, and in 29" I also like the 2.4 Ardent. Once again, as a front tire. Rolls fast, and is nice and cushy at 28-30 psi.

  48. #198
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    Is tubeless really that beneficial? I feel like with the added weight and the chance of a serious rupture would really ruin a day vice changing out a tube and going from there. Sorry, I am still kinda a newb.
    This is certainly a highly debated topic, and you're going to get as many opinions as there are people on the boards.

    At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference. I personally, prefer to run a tubeless setup because a) I can run lower PSI for better compliance and traction and b) until a couple weeks ago, I had gone over a year without a flat tire. It's just easier.

    I HAVE had a flat on the trail that the fluid wouldn't seal, at which point I basically just threw in a tube and went on my way. In that regard, the process is no different than if you were running tubes and got a flat. It's just messier.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  49. #199
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    714

    Best tire for So Cals dry dusty conditions?

    I never thought about just throwing a tube in after a leak.

  50. #200
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    714
    After diggin through 8 pages of suggestions, I feel more lost than when I started. Right now I have the factory XR4's on my Fuel EX6. I ride alot around the San Diego areo primarily including Hollenbeck, Anderson Truck Trail and sometimes around Otay Lake. A majority of the trail surface is packed, dry dirt with a few loose rocks. I want something that can hold in the corners at higher speeds but not add too much weight on the big climbs.

    Right now I am leaning towards a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent in the front and a 2.1 Kenda Nevegal in the rear. I have even been considering the Schwalbe Nobby Nics that I have read about numerous times in here in a 2.4 and 2.25 setup. Any feedback or something you reccomend that I look into?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 04:42 PM
  2. Squeeeeeeky brakes with dusty conditions ?!
    By jhruth in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 08:57 PM
  3. Best tire for dry, dusty conditions?
    By iron1 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 04:22 PM
  4. Tire Recs for rocky, dusty, gravel conditions
    By Lungs_on_Fire in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 07:49 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 09:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •